World's largest wind turbines to be built in Britain

Have you seen the news that Britain will be home to the largest ever offshore wind turbines?

​Being built in the North Sea, each one can generate enough electricity for 16,000 homes and, all together, enough electricity to power 4.5 million homes (that’s with a combined installed capacity of up to 3.6GW)! :open_mouth:  Put another way, that's 5% of the UK's total power supply.

They’re pretty massive - at 260 metres high each, they’re only 50 metres off the height of The Shard.

The wind farm is great news for increasing Britain’s renewable energy capacity :ok_hand:

What more would you like to see done, to help accelerate the growth of renewables in Britain?

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Excellent!!...(but will this bring the price of electricity down?? Me thinks not. )
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Good to hear @Nataly
Good point @Angelabikerbabe
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
for starters:
​Instead of scrapping all the worthwhile gov incentives increase them.

Incentives for ground source heat pumps, to cover the cost difference between fitting gas boilers and fitting a GSHP.

Nataly;39055:
Have you seen the news that Britain will be home to the largest ever offshore wind turbines?

​Being built in the North Sea, each one can generate enough electricity for 16,000 homes and, all together, enough electricity to power 4.5 million homes! :eek: Put another way, that's 5% of the UK's total power supply :)

They’re pretty massive - at 260 metres high each, they’re only 50 metres off the height of The Shard.

The wind farm is great news for increasing Britain’s renewable energy capacity 🆙

What more would you like to see done, to help accelerate the growth of renewables in Britain?

Fantastic news that the UK has given the go-ahead to a giant windfarm project off the Norfolk coast (titled ‘Norfolk Vanguard’ - with an installed capacity of 1.8GW) - so there’ll be the construction of two giant offshore windfarms. 

Still awaiting a further decision on another project (Hornsea 3) though… if that were to go ahead, these two projects together would generate enough electricity to power around 4 million UK homes :clap:

Userlevel 3

​Being built in the North Sea, each one can generate enough electricity for 16,000 homes and, all together, enough electricity to power 4.5 million homes! :eek: Put another way, that's 5% of the UK's total power supply :)

The wind farm is great news for increasing Britain’s renewable energy capacity 🆙

I’d like a solar obligation on new houses: In others words all new houses must be built with a least 40% of their roof space covered by solar panels.  Otherwise an additional 3% stamp duty would apply.  Suddenly it would be the norm.  

I’d like new houses to be fitted with 3-phase electricity supply, to facilitate adding electric car charging points.

I’d like all new houses to be fitted with a minimum of a 4kWh battery, to store their excess solar power for later use or export. 

I’d like all new houses to have a smart meter and control electronics smart enough to guess how much electricity the house will need, and then export the rest with a time-of-use tarrif back to the grid.  (The National Grid operator should provide a website where each home could register it’s size of battery and then indicate (over the Internet or with a signal over the power line) how much power is available for the grid to call upon, if required.  

Hey @Adam2 

Some really interesting thoughts and ideas there! Looking to build houses that’re more sustainable from the get-go does seem like a positive step forward. Germany’s passivhaus model is quite an interesting example of this.

As battery storage develops and becomes more accessible this could definitely encourage more sustainable homes - there are really exciting steps forward in this at the moment, did you read about the new zinc-air battery

First up on the changes to construction is the gas heating ban on new homes from 2025 (though gas hobs will still be allowed, so maybe that won’t change much...)!

Userlevel 3

It’s interesting that the government have decided that gas hobs will still be permitted on new houses after 2025.  I would estimate that a very percentage of domestic gas is used for house heating, perhaps in the order of 90 to 95%.  So it remains to be seen whether it’s worth having a gas connection just for the hob, bearing in mind there will be the standing charge to pay for the gas anyway, even when not used to heat the house.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I do love a good windfarm and i am more than happy to sit on a beach watching the majestic power of the blades turning out at sea. 

The price of wind power also keeps falling with dogger bank and most of the other new farms being built will have a sale price of £40 per mwh i also noted today that the worlds longest cable has started construction to connect the uk to denmark so that excess renewable power can be imported. 

Agreed @Jon1 - I actually quite like wind turbines, too:nerd:

I saw the news about the Denmark cable! Love the name - ‘Viking Link’. Only 475 miles long… Just looking into it, it should transmit enough electricity to power 1.5 million homes across Britain and Denmark. It also means extra energy can be exported on days where we generate more energy than needed in the UK, instead of needing to ‘turn off’ our wind farms. 

News also broke today of offshore wind energy investment quadrupling in the first half of 2020, and that’s despite COVID-19. Lots of exciting news! 

Really happy to see continued work and innovation around wind farms and their impact on nature - painting one blade black could help save birds (particularly birds of prey), by making the blades more noticeable :pray:

Article source here.

Reminds me of the “Why are Zebras striped” story. 

It disorientates flies like a rotating barbers poll to they can’t land on the animal...

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Really happy to see continued work and innovation around wind farms and their impact on nature - painting one blade black could help save birds (particularly birds of prey), by making the blades more noticeable :pray:

Article source here.

I wonder how they will maintain thermal equilibrium if one blade is painted black? (which will absorb more radiation than the non-black blades.)

Wouldn’t it be better to paint stripes on each blade?

or is it a case of Black blades matter...

Groan @woz.

Here’s the Zebra’s stripe story.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

and here’s an aircraft engine