What temperature do you use for cleaning clothes?

• 16 January 2020
  • 23 replies

Surely 25 degrees is too cold to make clothes clean?

According to new research, that's the temp we should be using to keep our washing as eco-friendly as possible.

The lower temperature, on a 30 minute cycle, leads to fewer microfibers (the tiny threads that're shedded from fabric) ending up in waste water. These microfibers can end up being consumed by fish and other wildlife, eventually poisoning the food chain.

What temp do you currently use, and would you consider trialling 25 degrees?

(we definitely shouldn't have cats in there😁)

What temp do/would you use for cleaning clothes?

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Great photo!
30Β° half an hour wash for 'once worn' stuff, And 40Β° for everything else.
not sure I would consider 25Β°, th8nk that's a Bit low
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Fab pic Nataly - I am the designated 'laundry man' in our home and, I check the condition of the clothes before selecting the temp/wash cycle to use. However, 20 or 30 is the norm unless the grandchildren are visiting.
​​​​​​​Content looking cat πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Most on 30Β° varying cycles, shorter for dark.
Some clobber requires cold wash only.
40Β° for sheets.
Ah if the label agrees dying clothes works better at 40*
Is cotton less harmful?

Oh the cat...who's in control...
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Using the 14 minute quick wash more and more for once worn clothes, which is 30 degrees, but wouldn’t wanna go any longer.

For anything a bit more soiled, 40degree full wash.

For bedding, eeeeek 90!
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I wondered what the white appliance in the corner was for...thought it was a telly but the programmes were a bit boring...are you supposed to wash clothes?

As seen in action, if you don't believe that low temperatures get the clothes clean you just aren't going to use them so well done for promoting the idea...

​​​​​​​I forgot to mention, low washing temperatures lead to the build up of black mould in washing machines.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
haha
​​​​​​​Looks like the wash worked Ok
If you don't have a dryer you'll have to peg her onto the washing line...
Nataly;46500:
Surely 25 degrees is too cold to make clothes clean?

According to new research, that's the temp we should be using to keep our washing as eco-friendly as possible.

The lower temperature, on a 30 minute cycle, leads to fewer microfibers (the tiny threads that're shedded from fabric) ending up in waste water. These microfibers can end up being consumed by fish and other wildlife, eventually poisoning the food chain.

What temp do you currently use, and would you consider trialling 25 degrees?

(we definitely shouldn't have cats in there😁)
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
eek! You need a 90 deg wash occasionally to de-mould the machine but 90 is excessive for bedding, the only time I used it was for a set of overalls I used for working on the car. 60 is more than enough and 40 would probably work OK. (Unless you use your bedding for working on the car)
Bev;46539:
Using the 14 minute quick wash more and more for once worn clothes, which is 30 degrees, but wouldn’t wanna go any longer.

For anything a bit more soiled, 40degree full wash.

For bedding, eeeeek 90!
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Yeah gonna make it my thing for 2020 to use 40 or 60 max, Wozeeta πŸ‘
It's funny how everyone does their washing so differently! I've also noticed after having various housemates over the years that everyone has their own specific dishwasher-stacking system.

I think it's 30 degrees most often for me, too πŸ‘ but I'm definitely guilty of putting things on a 1 hour cycle when they could've been put on 1/2 an hour!

I didn't know about the low temps causing black mould @woz - could you just get rid of it by doing one/two high temp cycles?

The impact of microfibers is definitely an eye-opener for me, as I hadn't considered it too much before.
Strutt G;46509:

Is cotton less harmful?

Good question @Strutt G...

Having done a little googling, it seems the production of cotton clothing produces less CO2 emissions than polyester, but uses more water.

As for microfibers, it seems that natural fabrics like cotton or silk are less harmful as they're more biodegradable than synthetics πŸ™‚ - with organic cotton being best!
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Thinking about it I don't know if it's the low temp that actually causes it directly, I suspect you'd get some black mould anyway due to constant damp, but if you did frequent v.hot washes it would lessen or go.
Allegedly and I haven't tried it, a 90 deg wash with some bleach and washing soda and wipe over with mild washing up liquid after removes it, but I wonder if you were to dry the rubber after each wash and leave the door slightly ajar (not wide enough for the boss to get in) it would lessen considerably.

Nataly;46575:

I didn't know about the low temps causing black mould @woz - could you just get rid of it by doing one/two high temp cycles?

The impact of microfibers is definitely an eye-opener for me, as I hadn't considered it too much before.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
The nylon sheets can't take the hot temperatures and they get shaved once a year.
Cotton only comes out for the festivities, then they're hung up on the line and a get a good beating with the garden shovel ready for next year.

I do actually stray from my routine and occasionally hit some higher temps and often use 15min short cycles.
I'm afraid to admit I know all the cycles, ah feels better getting that out...
Another question using Detol odour free cleanser additive for lower temps v just a higher temps, whats the lesser evil?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
This thread has got me thinking about the programmes I use. Almost everything is washed at 30, but on a cycle that takes about one and a half hours. Must check out the other ones
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I use the Dettol odourless cleanser. Yes great for low temp washes as killing the germs and bacteria without the hot temps cycle. Not sure which is more effective mind, but do like it πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I use the ECO cycle on my machine at 30Β° for all my colours. Whites at 40Β°. Towels, tea towels and bedding 60Β°
And I never was the cat!! 🐈🐱 meow πŸ˜‰πŸ€£
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Ahhh......you don't know what you're missing if you've never tried to wash a cat...(30Β° recommended)

Scubaseahorse;46624:
I use the ECO cycle on my machine at 30Β° for all my colours. Whites at 40Β°. Towels, tea towels and bedding 60Β°
And I never was the cat!! 🐈🐱 meow πŸ˜‰πŸ€£
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
​​​​​​​@Woz 🀣🀣🀣
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
That’ll teach me to do pink sheets on a high temp! πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ˜‚. Did reduce to 60 but obviously still way too hot. Lesson learnt!

PS The cats come out looking like Bagpuss!!!!!!! JOKE πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
🐈🀣🐈🀣🐈🀣
Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Bev;46748:
That’ll teach me to do pink sheets on a high temp! πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ˜‚. Did reduce to 60 but obviously still way too hot. Lesson learnt!

PS The cats come out looking like Bagpuss!!!!!!! JOKE πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I do pretty much most things on what my machine terms an 'express' wash, at cold temperature.

My best friend's widow is from Thailand, and about 15 years ago, when I first met her, it was explained to me that in Thailand, at least at that time, practically everything is washed on a 'cold' setting, and they still come clean.

My exceptions to this are:

1: Anytime I have a load that totals way over 3kg, in my machine at least, washing 6kg on a 30 degree cottons wash is actually more efficient than 2 cold 'express' washes.

2: Once every 6 weeks or so, I carry out a cleaning hot wash, with some old rags in the machine, just to make sure there are no 'nasties' lurking, normally I put some Milton Sterilising Fluid in that hot wash.
​​​​​​​
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I feel a Mills & Boon novel emerging here...
Gwyndy;46862:

My best friend's widow is from Thailand
​​​​​​​
Nataly;46575:
It's funny how everyone does their washing so differently! I've also noticed after having various housemates over the years that everyone has their own specific dishwasher-stacking system.

True, in my house, there's 'my system' which is basically how the manual shows it, with some slight variations for Kate's high sided plates/bowls.
Then there's Heidi's system, which to me at least, appears to be, 'it fits, that will do'.

Nataly;46575:

My manufacturer recommends a high cycle once every 6 weeks, I normally use Miele's recommended cleaner, and wash a bag of old rags I keep for high-temperature washes.
I also put a capful of Milton Sterilising fluid into the door seal, as most of my (at least visible) mould is where the water enters/exits.

A number of 'eco-cleaning' sites recommend using vinegar instead of a 'special cleaner' - but Miele state the cleaner must be in a powder form, I think because powder has a more 'abrasive' action.

Some people swear by using an Astonish spray (?) Mould Killer.