What's the most you'd pay for a plastic bag?

• 1 September 2020
  • 18 replies

• Community Manager
  • 6147 replies

It’s been a few years since the introduction of charging to get plastic bags in shops.

Feels like a long time ago that we were given ‘free’ bags whenever we wanted.

The BBC is reporting that the cost of plastic bags will rise to 10p from next April. And it’ll also apply to all shops, not just the big chains.

Probably a good thing, and another small change to get us to think more about reducing plastic usage.

Got me thinking though - how much would people be prepared to pay for a plastic bag at the shops? 20p? £1?

18 replies

As a general rule, if I forget to take my bags in from the car, I buy another ‘proper’ bag, because at least I know I’ll be able to use it lots more times.

On a slightly related note, I tried to do an online shop with Morrisons yesterday, they don’t even give you the option to buy your fruit loose - which really puts me off shopping with them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I’ve always got my backpack 🎒plus two large hessian (?) type bags inside, and walk specifically to the supermarket, so would never impulsively pop in bagless. However, on the rare occasion that I buy more than the three bags will hold, I always purchase the bags for life, and pay whatever they charge, but that’s very very rare as stick to my list, and know how much my arms and back can carry. 

With COVID, I think everything is about preparation now when it comes to supermarket shopping, so bags are as much the norm now as facemasks and sanitiser, so it’s just about getting into that routine, and having everything with you when you shop. 

Userlevel 3

Since none of the supermarket around here do the 5p bags anyway (I’m told you can ask for them, but they’re not on display), and their own bags are 10p it’s really no change.

Bags used for online delivery are still free until 21st September, too.  No idea what happens after that - you can’t exactly bring your own bag online and covid rules mean they can’t help you take the shopping out of the boxes any more.. so bags are somewhat essential.

Bags used for online delivery are still free until 21st September, too.  No idea what happens after that - you can’t exactly bring your own bag online and covid rules mean they can’t help you take the shopping out of the boxes any more.. so bags are somewhat essential.

Maybe there’ll be an extra charge @TonyHoyle ? 

I’m sure the supermarkets have found a way to factor in the extra cost already… without anyone noticing. 

At least with home delivery they can’t confuse me by changing the aisles around :laughing:

As a general rule, if I forget to take my bags in from the car, I buy another ‘proper’ bag, because at least I know I’ll be able to use it lots more times.

Ah yes. I suppose if you’re “bagless” and it’s urgent, we’ll pay whatever it costs!

Wonder if we get to a stage where a bag would cost more than the item it’s carrying. Say, a bag of mushrooms.

I fear that people are buying, accumulating and discarding high quality plastic, rather than the cheap n nasty ones they used to give away for free. Did I hear 1 billion on the news?

I’m still (re)using some previously free ones but they’re very tatty now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Why done they just stop the plastic carrier bags and do strong reusable paper bags.  I don't understand why we are still using plastic bags in this day and age.  It infuriates me 🤬🤬🤬 - rant over 😀

Why done they just stop the plastic carrier bags and do strong reusable paper bags.  I don't understand why we are still using plastic bags in this day and age.  It infuriates me 🤬🤬🤬 - rant over 😀

Good ranting action @Scubaseahorse Feel better? :wink::laughing:

It’s a fair point though. I’m willing to bet paper bags are more expensive?

Userlevel 3

Paper bags require far more energy to create and aren’t reusable.. plastic bags were originally pushed as a better alternative to paper due in the 90s (along with the whole ‘paperless office’ stuff that never seemed to happen), and the problems overuse of paper created really haven’t gone away.

There are no good answers.  There are for example water soluble plastic bags - when you’re finished chuck them down the sink and they’re gone forever.. but in the UK’s climate that’ll never really work (apparently they’re popular in china).  That’s the same plastic that covers dishwasher tablets, btw.

Something that’s durable enough to be reusable, easy/low energy to make, and doesn’t have disposal problems.. that’s the holy grail. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Slightly off the topic, but you couldn’t make it up 😳😳😳😳😳

Just cooking in my wok, like I do day after day, placing wok on chrome trivit, like done for thirty years, but went to move wok, and dunno why, but grabbed trivit, and burnt two fingers! Immediately held under 🚰for twenty mins, felt soooooo dizzy and skin went white on two fingers, but easing a tad now. Looked on NHS web, and says apply plastic bag around fingers (have no clingfilm) but now have no plastic bags either! The irony 😂😂😂😂😂. Just hoping the colour comes back and they’ll be ok. I think they will 🤞🙄#sillyme

Ouch. Good first aid ⛑ 

Hope your burn is much better today @Bev

What about fabric bags? Either the knitted style ones or tote bags - they definitely require more energy to make initially, but probably have a longer life, and are more appealing ‘looks’ wise so an easier sell? 

They’re more expensive than plastic bags of course but even that may make sure people don’t forget them/ want to get the use out of them! 

I’m planning to ‘invest’ in some tote bags soon - but since lockdown, we’ve been doing all our shopping online anyway. @Gwyndy @TonyHoyle interestingly some shops have now gone back to offering bag-free delivery, which we’ve been sure to select! :ballot_box_with_check:

The problem with multi use ‘proper’ shopping bags, and this also applies to the less re-use of what are supposed to be the ordinary 5p ‘disposable’ plastic shopping bags is that of contamination in further use.

When anyone reuses any bag for a food shop it will inevitably get some bacterior or salmonella or whatever food residue that is imparted to a bag that is not disinfected before each new use. Best practice is to disinfect immediately after use back from the shops.

This problem has been highlighted on the tele, although not very widely.

Just turn your 5p plastic bag inside out immediately after a food shop, and disinfect it.

Several re-uses of any bags can inevitably lead to food poisoning.

Just turn your 5p plastic bag inside out immediately after a food shop, and disinfect it.

Hi @Tezzaboy 

I’ve never heard this tip before! 

What do you use to disinfect it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Couldn’t agree more Tezza, especially now COVIDs arrived! 

Nothing beats this, Marc! 👏💕👍

Hi @Tezzaboy 

I’ve never heard this tip before! 

What do you use to disinfect it?

Works with underpants too! 😮

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 🙄🙄🙄 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Riding the crest of those laughs I’d add: Oh actually, it’s even better than that as you can swap front to back too!