What milk should we be drinking?

• 30 January 2020
  • 36 replies

Lots of us want to do our bit to help the planet, and increasingly we're turning to our diets to make a change - including what dairy we consume.

According to this article, 1 glass of dairy milk produces almost 3x more greenhouse gas than any plant-based milk... but are the plant-based options really much better?

It feels like there's a new 'in' milk alternative every week, with coconut and almond milk now being outed as awful for deforestation and the bee population (being overworked to pollinate the almonds)!

Apparently oat milk is the best, since an increasing oat-demand wouldn't increase deforestation, and the crop isn't as water-guzzling as rice milk, for example.

Which do you prefer? Does new research change your choice? πŸ€”

Which milk is best?

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
No matter what you choose it has an impact, some are better than dairy but what is the impact of shipping it half way round the world as opposed to getting it from the cows next door. Ultimately the solution is population control, knock off the elderly at 70 or ban more then 1 child per couple( china style) tough choice. Maybe the Japanese method where everyone is so focused on work they have stopped having familys and the population is taking a nose dive.
I fear the eventual outcome will be colonisation of the moon and beyond or a mass cull of the human race either by disease or war ( god help us all ).
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Good Poll Nataly,

It also depends on the brand and being organic.
No Pea Milk noted in the article.
Have you tried sproud pea milk in a cap or flat white coffee?
I purchased a carton, its nice, but I found it too rich for daily use - breakfast etc.
I'm aware of the Almond situ and have to admit I've got the carton shown in article sitting in my fridge, but only purchase that one when its on offer. Its all about the 6% almond content and taste, but not the planet, so guilty as charged!

I guess most peeps started out on Soya which I like along with Oat Milk which maybe more versatile.
Back to Almond, for me its the one but I switch with above 2.
No sub for skimmed milk in Tea.

Vote based on current use 60% Almond 40% mix of other as I flip flop around looking for milk nirvana.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I’ve tried most of the milk options but fell back on Oat milk for cereal (I drink Coffees & Tea black). However, over the past few months I’ve been creating my own Oat milk - Keep in mind it’s for cereal use so, I soak oats in water, and then β€œmilk” the oats to get all their goodness in liquid form. From your oat milk, you’ll get calcium, iron, protein, and vitamin A, and you can also cook up the leftover oats into a tasty granola base or simply use the oats to mix with other ingredients.
​​​​​​​Regards
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Nice one Davidj, I'll give that a bash as its all about the oats from the groat. I feel a Bev ism... soooo many to chooooooose and assess.
Adding oatbran to the jumbo with a crunch on top. Gonna give the steel cut another go as never got it right!
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Sounds great Strutt G. πŸ‘πŸ‘
Where's my 'I don't have milk' option. This is diskimination.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hee hee, very clever Joc πŸ‘πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Started on soya, now on hemp. Love it πŸ‘πŸ‘, and great for phytoestrogens πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I was just about to make a hormone joke but thought better of it...
I'm still vacillating as to whether to try oat milk in my tea/coffee, not sure if I'll survive the experience.
Any comments from those who've tried it in either?
Bev;47510:
Hee hee, very clever Joc πŸ‘πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Started on soya, now on hemp. Love it πŸ‘πŸ‘, and great for phytoestrogens πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Joke away our Wozeeta πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
woz;47529:

I'm still vacillating as to whether to try oat milk in my tea/coffee, not sure if I'll survive the experience.
Any comments from those who've tried it in either?

I haven't tried to do it at home, but from a good (normally independent) coffee shop oat milk lattes I've tried have been really good, as it doesn't alter the coffee taste as much as some others πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
In coffee it's great
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Right!

I feel theres a wall of silence regarding the Pea Milk...and I can tell yer it hurts...Lots!!
So to add to the excitement...... today Sainsbury's was offering tasting samples of Pea plus Pea and Oat combo.
They're great...but not in tea, not that I've tried. Somethings you just know.
Just to add..Y'all be drinking it soon so get with the programme.
Must try Hemp again soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
What are the ingredients?

There's a Pea Milk joke in there somewhere, I imagine it would hurt...but I won't lower myself, I might get told off
Strutt G;47554:
Right!

I feel theres a wall of silence regarding the Pea Milk...and I can tell yer it hurts...Lots!!
So to add to the excitement...... today Sainsbury's was offering tasting samples of Pea plus Pea and Oat combo.
They're great...but not in tea, not that I've tried. Somethings you just know.
Just to end..Y'all be drinking it soon so get with the programme.
Must try Hemp again soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Ha ha, it just proves that us guys are no less hormonal and have feelings too.
Pea Milk is split yellow pea protein then mixed with the various stuff similar to other milks, but not all.
The brand I tasted today from Sainsbury's was less rich, than the Sproud brand which I note has agave...which is questionable for some.

Mighty Pea - Unsweetened: Bet you've already looked.....and I've only just looked, should I be less excited?
Water, Pea Protein (4%), Sunflower Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Tapioca Starch, Natural Flavourings
And emulsifier, but the texture did not feel like that popular brand and not Gloopy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Strutt G;47559:
Ha ha, it just proves that us guys are no less hormonal and have feelings too.
Pea Milk is split yellow pea protein then mixed with the various stuff similar to other milks, but not all.
The brand I tasted today from Sainsbury's was less rich, than the Sproud brand which I note has agave...which is questionable for some.

Mighty Pea - Unsweetened: Bet you've already looked.....and I've only just looked, should I be less excited?
Water, Pea Protein (4%), Sunflower Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Tapioca Starch, Natural Flavourings
And emulsifier, but the texture did not feel like that popular brand and not Gloopy.

Also, Pea milk featured on that Save Money lose weight ITV last night and Sian whatsaface quite liked it πŸ‘πŸ‘.

Also, on life, the hormone thing never ever affects my mood, just physical, but everyone’s different πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Q. How do you make a hormone?
A. Don't pay her.
the old ones are the best (Substitute him for her if it offends...)
Bev;47539:
Joke away our Wozeeta πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
OMG that is soooooo naughty! 🀭🀭🀭🀭, you will sooooooooo be getting a written warning our Wozeeta πŸ˜πŸ˜‰
Personally, Soya milk, Kate can't have 'oat' milk due to gluten, I've seen pea milk mentioned on a few vegan groups, some like it, some don't.
​​​​​​​I've not even seen it on sale, perhaps I live somewhere too remote?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
it wasn't really appropriate, I consider myself told off - sorry.
Bev;47567:
OMG that is soooooo naughty! 🀭🀭🀭🀭, you will sooooooooo be getting a written warning our Wozeeta πŸ˜πŸ˜‰
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Ingredients....
I looked at some milk substitutes in the supermarket and must admit was a bit put off by some of the ingredients...what are natural flavourings ??

​​​​​​​...anyway here are the ingredients from

Qwrkee Plant Based Pea M'LK Unsweetened (courtesy of Ocado website) which is the only pea milk they (Ocado) sell as far as I can see; the apostrophe in m'lk is verbatim, presumably because they can't call it milk?

Ingredients
Water, Pea Protein (3.9%), Rapeseed Oil, Maltodextrin, Inulin, Natural Flavouring, Emulsifier: Sunflower Lecithin, Sea Salt, Stabilizer: Gellan Gum, Minerals: Calcium (Tri-Calcium Phosphate), Potassium Iodide, Iron (II)-L2 Hydroxy Propionate, Vitamins: Riboflavin (B2), D2, B12, A
~(the sweetened version is identical save for the addition of sugar)

The oat drinks with the least additives seem to be made by a company called Planet Organic...hmmm
woz;47585:

Ingredients
Water, Pea Protein (3.9%), Rapeseed Oil, Maltodextrin, Inulin, Natural Flavouring, Emulsifier: Sunflower Lecithin, Sea Salt, Stabilizer: Gellan Gum, Minerals: Calcium (Tri-Calcium Phosphate), Potassium Iodide, Iron (II)-L2 Hydroxy Propionate, Vitamins: Riboflavin (B2), D2, B12, A
~(the sweetened version is identical save for the addition of sugar)

The oat drinks with the least additives seem to be made by a company called Planet Organic...hmmm

Hmm that's quite a long list of ingredients! 🀨

Was intrigued by maltodextrin - more info on it here.
Good to know as I'd probably try to avoid this, as I focus on low-GI foods - sounds like it's a sort-of sugar replacement.

Maybe I should work on drinking black coffee😎
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Sorry Nat, I've in error aligned the ingredients to Sproud and it belongs to another brand.
Its Qwrkee sweetened...sorry led you down the garden path.

Sorry Sproud, never been to Sweden but I'm sure its great like my Swedish friend who I hope is not watching!
Sproud still has lots of ingredients along with the mighty pea.
https://besproud.com
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Nataly;47707:
Hmm that's quite a long list of ingredients! 🀨

Was intrigued by maltodextrin - more info on it here.
Good to know as I'd probably try to avoid this, as I focus on low-GI foods - sounds like it's a sort-of sugar replacement.

Maybe I should work on drinking black coffee😎

​​​​​​​It is Nat πŸ‘Ž, I much prefer black, deffo. Acquired taste initially but soon becomes the norm πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Black coffee at home and with various milks when out and out out an about
Im sorry to say (its an age thing !) its got be cows milk for tea, or rice pudding (from a can) - can you buy rice pudding made with plant milk?

Oat milk (ie oats 'bashed up' with water) for morning oatmeal ,cooking and nice cool summer strawberry oat milk

The occasional Almond milk (which commercial products are no better than chemical 'soup') or Soy for cereal

​​​​​​​Personal consumption of dairy milk has reduced from 4 litres per week to 1 litre per week - I'm tryimg !