Today's news

• 9 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
No coal has been burned to produce electricity in the UK since 9 April. The 44-day record has been set after electricity demand plummeted with the introduction of lockdown.

Interesting!!??

​​​​​​​Stephen

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Due to the recent weather, renewable electricity was/is overproduced, so much so that in an effort to avoid shutting down some energy production, a certain company actually paid users to use energy for a two hour period, it was only available to those with a smart meter.
Duppy;55666:
Due to the recent weather, renewable electricity was/is overproduced, so much so that in an effort to avoid shutting down some energy production, a certain company actually paid users to use energy for a two hour period, it was only available to those with a smart meter.

A smart meter, and the correct EV tariff if memory serves me, still not only 'free electricity' but being paid to use it - take that "electrical energy too cheap to meter" nuclear power.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Not just EV users, my son doesn't have an EV tariff but was offered the opportunity of being paid 5p per kWh used between 05.00-07.00 or 2,p per kWh used between 14.00-16.00. Apparently he made full use of it turning on anything that could be
It was definitely interesting to read about this! I believe as of today it'll be a full two months without burning coal in Britain?

Particularly exciting was this part:

And it is not just coal that is being eclipsed by renewables.
So far this year, renewables have generated more power than all fossil fuels put together.
Breaking it down, renewables were responsible for 37% of electricity supplied to the network versus 35% for fossil fuels.