Support our Pure Planet advent calendar this Christmas - give to a good cause

• 30 November 2018
  • 23 replies

• Community Manager
  • 6033 replies
It’s just a few weeks until Christmas, and while we’re no bah humbugs here at PP HQ, we know that not everyone will be able to buy loads of food and presents.

So this year we’re having a reverse advent calendar for Christmas.

Instead of buying stuff that nobody asked for, we’re going to use each day in the countdown to Christmas to give something away instead.

Between now and Christmas we’ll be giving important items to a hamper which we’ll hand over to a charity called Julian House.

Julian House is based in Bath, like us. They give shelter and support to the city’s homeless.

Each day a one or more members of Pure Planet staff will be taking part, and we’ll be posting about it right here in the community.

We’d love it if some of our community members did the same. All you need to start a reverse advent calendar of your own is a box to put things in. Then at Christmas donate the items to a local charity or good cause, such as a local food bank.

If you’d prefer to send us some items for the Pure Planet reverse advent calendar, post them to our office at 2nd Floor, Northgate House, Bath BA11RG.

These are the items that Julian House needs: Hats and gloves; socks; festive sweets; notepads and pens; colouring pens and crayons; small soft toys; non-alcohol face wipes and baby wipes; flannels and shower puffs; shower gel (not soap); toothpaste; toothbrushes; shaving foam; tampons (not sanitary pads); safety razors; tinned foods; Christmas + festive foods with a long shelf life; tea bags and coffee.

Our reverse advent calendar this December also marks the start of the Pure Planet staff committing to do more to support the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.

The SDGs - aka “the world’s most important to-do list” - are the 17 things that the UN has agreed are the most pressing things we need to do by 2050.

We’re one of 12,000 businesses that have signed the UN Global Compact (and the only British small energy supplier to do so).

Starting in December and for the next 17 months, we’ll be looking a different goal each month. We’ll be highlighting them here in the community, as well as

December’s SDG is No Poverty. Which is why we’re doing our reverse advent calendar. The UN’s main aim is to halve the number of people living in poverty by 2030, and ensuring that everyone has equal rights to economic resources and basic services.

To find out more about the SDGs and what we’re doing to support them, head over to the Pure Planet blog.

23 replies

The reverse advent calendar is a really good idea! I will have a think about what I can contribute.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Excellent idea Marc, any homeless charity is always one of my faves to support 👍👍👍, not only donating financially but also with direct clothing. Only last weekend, I sorted big bag of “like new” coats, which no longer wear but superb condition, around 9 in total 🙀, plus towels and clothes, and emailed the charity directly, to ensure they go directly to the homeless. Organiser soooo grateful and coming to collect from my home 👍👏.

hope your advent calendar 📆for Julian House is a great success 👏👏👏👏👏
Today we've had this fantastic donation of toothpaste from a local dentist.

A great start! More to come soon.

Thanks for the kind comments @DM1 @Bev
Today - our team have brought in face wipes and wet wipes1429

More to follow!
We're a day or so behind (already!) so we've also got some lovely warm socks today!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
We’ve started a very similar collection in the office, for our local homeless centre👍for Christmas. I rarely go into the city centre, but I did today, and the increasing number of homeless is beyond 💔😥. Soooo sad to see. The love they have for their 🐶🐶💕🐾too, despite their situation, is incredibly heartwarming.

I always do donations in lieu of Christmas cards, and sent this years to Salvation Army👍
@Bev - I'm so pleased to hear we've inspired you :D

Here's a look at what we've collected over the last few days;

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Some lovely warm hats, gloves and scarves;

- - - Updated - - -

Yay - more cosy warm socks :)

Worth being aware of if you're doing a spot of Christmas shopping this week;

The Big Issue is teaming up with Lush this Christmas - From December 10-16, all profits from UK and Ireland sales of the perfume will be donated to The Big Issue Foundation, which helps support Big Issue vendors so they can take positive steps forward in their lives.

The Big Issue is teaming up with Lush this Christmas

As we're focusing on # No Poverty this month, have a look at the the Big Issue shop too;

The Big Issue Shop - Shopping with a social echo;

Big thanks to member @Jon1 who very kindly sent us a donation for our reverse advent calendar.
We've just got back from the shops 🆙

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏Very very kind of you Jon 👍
Today we asked a few of the guys in the office to bring in some safety razors and shaving gel/foam.
A good start! 🆙

A few more toiletries today;

- - - Updated - - -

And tea, coffee and hot chocolate too;

It's great to see so much support for our campaign this month - thank you to everyone who's contributed so far.

We're in the last week and the donations still coming thick and fast ❤

All the goodies :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Those crisps look divine! 🙀🙀🙀👍👍👍👍😂😂😂👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
So today a few of the guys carried a few boxes of donations to Julian House ❤ 🆙

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
That’s marvellous 👏👏👏👏👍, bet they were soooooo grateful, bless 👍
Huge THANK YOU to everyone that got involved in our reverse advent calendar for Julian House Homeless shelter - here's the fruits of our labours;

We're running a repeat of our reverse advent calendar this year.
Like last year, we'll be donating items to Julian House, a Bath-based charity which supports the city's homeless.

We've shared a calendar here at Pure Planet HQ on which days we'll be bringing stuff in.

It's not too late to support a local charity near you!
It's great to see the donations starting to pile up, ready to give to Julian House 😁

Nice collection building up!

​​​​​​​
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Smashing socks 🧦🧦🧦🧦🧦🧦🧦👍👍👏👏
Good work PP team!
Here's a photo of the handover of donations to Julian House today

👍