Supermarkets rated in league table recyclable packaging

• Community Manager
  • 6147 replies

Supermarkets have been rated in a league table of how much of their packaging can be recycled.

Nearly a third of packaging has been found to be either difficult to recycle, or cannot be recycled at all.

The survey was carried out by consumer group Which? - it bought 27 popular own-brand items and tested the packaging.

Lidl was found to be the worst for recycling packaging. Morrisons came out the best.

Here is the league table of supermarket and the percentage of packaging which is can be widely recycled:

Morrisons - 81%
Asda - 79%
M&S - 78%
Tesco - 77%
Aldi - 76%
Waitrose - 75%
Sainsbury’s - 75%
Ocado - 74%
Iceland - 73%
Lidl - 71%

Would you change where you do your food shopping based on how much packaging can be recycled?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Good old Asda and Morrison’s! The two I use the most! Asda almost daily! Very disappointed in Ocado and it would definitely make me think twice, yes, re ordering online from them again.

Best of all tho, is that GORGEOUS photo ❤of the strawberries, mmmmmmmmmm! Salivating! 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Most of my food shop is m&s and tesco. Sadly no morrisons nearby as i do like their fish and meat counters.hopefully these type of tables will become a big thing as it will encouage improvments.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Jon1;8909:
Sadly no morrisons nearby as i do like their fish and meat counters..

Their chilli range is fab fab fab 🆙, and their freshly baked bread (especially the wheat, rye spelt boule) beyond divine ❤. Wonky veg a real hit too 🆙, particularly avocados and chillis
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
👎👎👎👎👎👎to Wilkinson’s, NOT the store, the shaver brand.

just look at this excessive packaging on a simple disposable. Not even a refill included so no excuse 🙀👎👎👎👎🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
I'm surprised they're all over 70%.
My daughter, well, one of them, has started going to a farmer's market for her weekly shop. There, people are encouraged to bring their own containers or packaging which can be put on the scales which are then zeroed. Veg, rice, fruit, potatoes, pasta, even meat, is then added so you only pay for exact weight.

Pre-packed supermarket food is often underweight, or artificially bulked up with water. Even there, buy loose for best value and reduced packaging.
It's such a shame they didn't include the Co-op. Their packaging has already changed with their microwave meals, they no longer package their curries, etc., with black plastic (harder to recycle or not recycled) to clear softer plastic!
Interesting news about a trial by Waitrose on removing packaging.
The Guardian has reported that it's gone down well with shoppers and they may extend it to more supermarkets!
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I saw this on the news....What a fantastic idea. I would do this if there was one up my way. :foldedhands::foldedhands::foldedhands:
Marc;30594:
Interesting news about a trial by Waitrose on removing packaging.
The Guardian has reported that it's gone down well with shoppers and they may extend it to more supermarkets!
Looks like Asda is up to something interesting.
It's being reported that the supermarket is trialling a new 'coating technology' which will remove the need for plastic packaging and keep food fresher for longer.
The Metro website says the coating is made from plants and water and protects fresh fruit and veg.
Asda is trialling the coating on clementines for sale at stores in Kent and Yorkshire.
It's times like this when I love technology 😮
Nothing is ever straightforward!

There's a new report out today which says that reducing plastic packaging in supermarkets may end up doing more harm than good to the environment.

The cross-party Parliamentary report says that supermarkets have started to use more glass bottles and paper bags instead. But glass is heavier to transport, meaning more road pollution, and paper bags have higher carbon emissions.

Check out the BBC's report on the study here.

The report also states that there's a lot of confusion in the supermarket industry about what is biodegradable plastic, which can be recyled, and what isn't.
Today Tesco has announced it's going to remove plastic wrapping from multipack tins.
The BBC report says it'll save about 350 tonnes of plastic a year. 👍