Paying more to fly, is it worth it?

• 10 September 2020
  • 15 replies

Cutting the UK’s carbon emissions by 2050 is a pretty hefty task, there’s no doubt about it! But would you be willing to give up a city break or two to make it happen? 

Here’s the suggestion: the more and further you fly, the higher the tax. :airplane_departure:

This comes after the UK Climate Assembly, a group of 108 people, voted on a set of recommendations for the UK government - and according to the report, 7% of the UK’s emissions come from air travel. 

Personally, I’d like to see increased awareness around carbon offsetting, and the development of electric planes (feel free to disagree:smile: ).

Will introducing a frequent flyers tax put you off flying?:thinking:

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yes i do fly usually twice a year. Except this year. I always calculate my footprint and then offset it most recently via the BPtarget neutral platform. 

For me its a no brainer that offset carbon emissions should be compulsory not only for flights but also on your cat mot. A legal mininum should be set as to what is paid per mile so the cost of a flight or the cost of an mot is worked out on how many miles travelled. with the money paid to something like a national trust who are tasked to spend that money on tree planting and renewable energy production purely within the uk. 

I think higher fuel duty is fairer. If you drive less or more efficiently, you save.

I often follow cars and wonder why on earth they keep braking when I’ve been nowhere near my middle peddle. Tax those numpties. 

Too harsh? 🤔

PS, yes flying had got too cheap.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Braking our 25 notes 🤦🏻‍♂️😉

Braking our 25 notes 🤦🏻‍♂️😉

Hahaha 🤪 It’s how I felt describing it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

😝👍🤣🤣🤣just playing, our notes

By the way, it seems like my distain for bad drivers isn’t new. Back in January

When we having another spotlight @Nataly? 🔦💡🕯

For me its a no brainer that offset carbon emissions should be compulsory not only for flights but also on your cat mot. A legal mininum should be set as to what is paid per mile so the cost of a flight or the cost of an mot is worked out on how many miles travelled. with the money paid to something like a national trust who are tasked to spend that money on tree planting and renewable energy production purely within the uk. 

That’s a good point! So do you think a portion of the tax could (or should) go towards carbon offsetting, or the whole extra tax should?
I think it’d be a shame if new costs were introduced without finding ways to highlight offsetting and put money towards it! 

PS, yes flying had got too cheap.

It’s true - it’d easily cost me more to catch a train to Manchester than it would to fly to Barcelona, for example. That surely explains a lot of the rise of quick weekend breaks abroad! 

But maybe that’s more a reflection of public transport prices in the UK and that, really, they should be reviewed?:thinking:

*late edit* to add - spotlights you say, eh? We’d love to do another spotlight this month! Watch this space:smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

And we wouldn't mind so much paying the prices if you got a spotless seat, on a train that was on time, that didn’t stink of sweaty bodies and seats covered in hair. 

COVID may have brought that to an end, if thoroughly jet cleaned like they’re saying, but deffo extortionate prices need reviewing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

My idea would work as follows. 

I booked my flight of 2000 miles

Im charged £150 FOR FLIGHT + £20 OFFSET CHARGE.

I mot my car while im away 

Im charged £45 for mot + £10  as ive driven 10000 miles since my last mot.

Higher polluting cars pay a higher rate than lower ones based on emmissions catagory. So a leaf pays nothing a mini pays £10 and a supercar pays £30.

The £30 offset charges get paid to a trust fund which then plants trees or whatever but only in the uk.  

I feel the system should reward good behaviour. So how you drive those miles ought to matter...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Buy electric and you would be rewarded with a zero charge. 

Or hydrogen but im not sure that will become mainstream for car use. 

The £30 offset charges get paid to a trust fund which then plants trees or whatever but only in the uk.  

I like the point of the trees being planted (as an example) in the UK only - but then, most airlines are international so that could get tricky quite quickly! 

It seems, basically, paying more to fly becomes worth it IF the extra money is used towards carbon offsetting the flight itself. I think I’d have to agree! 

Maybe this won’t be an issue after all! Or at least, not after 2035… 

Airbus has announced plans for zero-emission aircraft that run on hydrogen. 

Can you see this becoming a reality? :thinking:

I wonder if it’d still make flying more expensive anyway, with increased cost to develop these planes! 

When we having another spotlight @Nataly? 🔦💡🕯

@25 quid @Bev 

Glad you asked… check out September’s spotlight:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: