How energy-efficient are you? Kettle-boiling capital of UK revealed

• 15 January 2018
  • 11 replies

• Community Manager
  • 5649 replies
We at Pure Planet have carried out some research into how much energy we waste at home carrying out simple tasks.

A UK-wide poll has revealed how we may be wasting energy through bad habits, even when making a simple cup of tea.

Our poll, conducted by Opinium Research, found that people in Glasgow boil the kettle seven times per day on average - more than any other city.

Londoners boil theirs five times per day, Bristol six times, and Manchester four times.

Poll results by region - Average amount of times a kettle is boiled at home per day

Birmingham

Brighton

Bristol

Cardiff

Glasgow

Leeds

Liverpool

London (region)

Newcastle

The poll also found that we’re more partial to a brew the older we get.

Those aged 55+ averaged six boils of the kettle, where those aged 18-43 barely managed four.

Read more: Buying a takeaway coffee could cost an extra 25p

The study also found that we are not as energy efficient as we might think.

Four in ten people said they re-boil the kettle to make sure the water is freshly bubbling when they make their brew.

Elsewhere in the home, only four in ten adults said they would turn off the lights when they leave the room to save energy.

And half of households in the country leave their TV and set top boxes plugged in and on stand-by 24/7.

Leaving appliances on standby is a common area of energy wastage in the home. It is estimated that televisions and games consoles left on stand-by costs households up to £80 a year.

Do you have any energy-saving tips for the home?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I like to think I'm fairly energy efficient around the home and never leave anything on standby or plugged in when not in use thru the day.

I do boil the kettle from full tho, just a pet hate of mine drinking water boiled from a half filled kettle. Also love to take long showers.

So although like to think energy efficient, there's plenty of little ways I can still improve.

Joining Pure Planet is a good start!
We're definitely not as energy efficient as we could be, but our self-awareness as a family is increasing, especially among the kids.

One (of many I'm sure) oddities we do have - we always empty the kettle of previously boiled water and refill with an appropriate amount for our needs - saves energy but wastes a bit of water.

School report - shows encouraging signs of improvement. More still to be done 😉
I recently bought some smart plugs in the Black Friday sale. I have three connected to my TV/PC/Music Player (all in different places). With one button in the smart plug app, they're all turned off at the mains (they all work independently too, if you need). Of course, there's the usage of the plugs themselves - I'd be interested to know how much they require to run! It does make turning everything off at the end of the day much more convenient.
I'm the same as you @Bev and @ARJR - a habit of preferring to empty and refill the kettle before boiling! Sometimes I refill to full too.... Don't know why but at least now thanks to you guys I realise that I'm not alone. Will try to do better 🤔
Wonder how many more 'bad' habits we share?!
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Does this mean each Glaswegian puts the kettle on 7 times a day? That seems a bit too much!
Hi @Gabolino
Yes, that's right. Remember it's very cold right now in Scotland ❄️
Round my place I'd say the kettle's boiled about 5 times a day, on average. What about you?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Marc;2311:
Hi @Gabolino
Yes, that's right. Remember it's very cold right now in Scotland ❄️
Round my place I'd say the kettle's boiled about 5 times a day, on average. What about you?

At home we put it maybe twice a week. In the office we have this boiler tank thing... Don't know if that saves energy it actually uses more.
My only consideration is I am the one paying for the power, so if I restict my power consumption, it’s to save money for me and keep the profits of power suppliers down.
Can’t think of any other benificial motives !
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Late as usual..
It's a good job they didn't measure Manchester, I alone am responsible for at least 15 cups of tea (or coffee) a day!

On the plus side kettles are one of the most efficient appliances available, nearly all of the energy is converted to heat although a shame about the lost energy when it cools down after you've made your drink; perhaps kettles should be insulated by law.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
woz;7481:
Late as usual..
It's a good job they didn't measure Manchester, I alone am responsible for at least 15 cups of tea (or coffee) a day!

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣☕️☕️☕️
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Bev;7495:
????????????????????????☕️☕️☕️

more tea please!