Drinks bottles and cans deposit scheme announced

• Community Manager
  • 6147 replies

We may soon have to pay a deposit when buying drink bottles and cans to cut down on waste and increase recycling.

The scheme has been announced by the Government to reduce the amount of plastic we use.

The BBC is reporting that it means the cost of bottled water and cans will go up, but we will get our money back if we return the containers.

The scheme is expected to cover single-use glass and plastic bottles, and steel and aluminium cans.

According to the Guardian, the amount consumers pay will vary depending on the size of the bottle or can. It is also reporting that returning bottles and cans will be done via 'reverse vending machines'.

Do you think this is an important step to reducing waste? One of Pure Planet's staff has just completed her challenge of living without single-use plastic for a month.

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I do and I don’t Marc. It’s a great idea, but surely almost everyone recycles plastic bottles already don’t they? At home, it’s the recycle bins for specific things, then at work it’s all recycle bins, so not quite sure if an increase in the price, which is then refundable when recycled, is going to improve things by much.

Know a lot probably don’t recycle, but isn’t that the minority? Saying that, if 22 bin bags of rubbish were collected off the Welsh beaches by your staff members recently, maybe I’m thinking too positively. Maybe this scheme will target the people in that bracket and help.

Of course, those who recycle already, will then have to make special trips to specifically placed recycle vending machines, rather than using current facilities next to home and work. I think it should be more about people taking responsibility, personally. Not constantly having to give individuals payment as an incentive to do something which SHOULD be second nature.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Provided its done properly and the collection mcs are kept up and running it will prove to be a game changer. When im in new york you find a lot of people will go and redeem the deposit. Where i stay when im over there the building has a homeless gentleman who comes round the block every week to make a collection which he takes in for store credit.kids scooping up trash is also common so as to earn a few extra $'s .im not suggesting it should be used as a way for the less fortunate to earn a few quid but it does seem to work.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2

My bottle recycle bin is emptied every fortnight but I have a problem. My neighbour tops up mine with her families’ excess but I am concerned that it gives a false impression of my drinking habits for they drink crap beers and lagers like Carlsberg, Peroni and such! Such a reduction in standards is not good! Let’s the side down. Is this something to write to a gutter press agony aunt page about?! Would having a Smart meter help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I forgive her. They have two 6 ft sins aged 17 and 21 to feed and I guess has to get the cheap stuff! We do share experiences of G&Ts though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I do and I don’t Marc. It’s a great idea, but surely almost everyone recycles plastic bottles already don’t they? At home, it’s the recycle bins for specific things, then at work it’s all recycle bins, so not quite sure if an increase in the price, which is then refundable when recycled, is going to improve things by much.

Know a lot probably don’t recycle, but isn’t that the minority? Saying that, if 22 bin bags of rubbish were collected off the Welsh beaches by your staff members recently, maybe I’m thinking too positively. Maybe this scheme will target the people in that bracket and help.

Of course, those who recycle already, will then have to make special trips to specifically placed recycle vending machines, rather than using current facilities next to home and work. I think it should be more about people taking responsibility, personally. Not constantly having to give individuals payment as an incentive to do something which SHOULD be second nature.

I totally agree with your comments @Bev it will make it much harder work for those of us who already recycle and I do believe you are right in saying it won't change the minds of those who can't be bothered with it all!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

plasticbottlesforrecycling_593.jpg

We may soon have to pay a deposit when buying drink bottles and cans to cut down on waste and increase recycling.

The scheme has been announced by the Government to reduce the amount of plastic we use.

The BBC is reporting that it means the cost of bottled water and cans will go up, but we will get our money back if we return the containers.

The scheme is expected to cover single-use glass and plastic bottles, and steel and aluminium cans.

According to the Guardian, the amount consumers pay will vary depending on the size of the bottle or can. It is also reporting that returning bottles and cans will be done via 'reverse vending machines'.

Do you think this is an important step to reducing waste? One of Pure Planet's staff has just completed her challenge of living without single-use plastic for a month.

In my very young days we used to look for and collect discarded bottles and take them back to the shop to get the deposit on them!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Overall if it reduces plastic usage and waste I’m for it however I wonder if anyone has done an audit on the carbon footprint (manufacture and use) of the 10’s of thousands of reverse vending machines which will be needed taking into account the travel to get to them. (I’ve used them abroad)

It would disadvantage home delivererees unless the supermarkets (incl. Amazon) set up an infrastructure whey they can collect the bottles when they deliver (and perhaps add a small credit to the customer as for example Ocado do with plastic bags). I can’t see that happening but it would be great if it did.

Much more thought is required and this won’t cover all the other single use non-degradable or non-recyclable (or hard to recycle) plastics which hopefully will be replaced by manufacturers over time.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Just drink water.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Just drink water.

bottled or tap sir?

That’ll be £3.50

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Both. Bottled costs me 26p for 500 ml. Tap costs me next to nothing as I have a filter tap and the filters are not expensive and last 12 months. Tap water where I am is not very nice. Lots of chlorine. Although Donald Trump, that overgrown infant with limited cognitive ability, would probably approve of drinking chlorinated water.

There is a nice plus side to the filter tap. A glass of decent malt often needs a small drop of water to bring out the aroma and flavour.

More seriously, it annoys me that so much packaging cannot be put in the recycle bin. Where I am I cannot add shredded paper from my shredder to the recycle bin, which to my simple mind is stupid.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

. Where I am I cannot add shredded paper from my shredder to the recycle bin, which to my simple mind is stupid.

Same here, and I’ve always thought the same. It’s an insane rule, where’s the logic?! 🤷‍♀️

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Filtered tap water. That sounds ok but we are taking the water situation up a notch tomorrow when the install of a bore hole starts. 

Water as nature intended from the ground to the tap. Well after its been filtered and via a Uv filter. 

Filtered tap water. That sounds ok but we are taking the water situation up a notch tomorrow when the install of a bore hole starts. 

Water as nature intended from the ground to the tap. Well after its been filtered and via a Uv filter. 

Wow, sustainable water and energy too. Good stuff. Keep it away from the septic tank… 🤮

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This took some persuasive powers, i now keep hinting we should divert the sewage pipe and build a reed bed system. 

Got grass carp coming in october to go in a lake to keep that clear of duck weed and the such instead of using chemicals to kill it all off. 

As for now the drill machine is in site ready to go. I dont think "MRS he who signs the cheque" will be best pleased with the mess it will make. 

Impressive! How do you know there’s good water down there?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Apparently just keep drilling till they hit the water table. So long as thats all they hit. Cant be doing with the fibre cable being dug up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

. Where I am I cannot add shredded paper from my shredder to the recycle bin, which to my simple mind is stupid.

Same here, and I’ve always thought the same. It’s an insane rule, where’s the logic?! 🤷‍♀️

As far as I know we have no such rule, but I can see the sense of this, I wouldn’t like to be responsible for having to clear up a cross cut shred spill or see a windy day where the bin not quite empty  as it was being removed from the collection vehicle and dispersed confetti over the neighbourhood.

All it needs is a  rule that if you recycle shreds they have to be in a paper bag.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Mine go in a recyclable plastic bag but then the whole lot can’t go in the recycle bin. Using decent sized paper bags may be an option if I could get them cheap enough. At least on the tip it will biodegrade in time. The mess that could occur from loose shredding is not the reason we can’t recycle it. It’s something to do with the belief the recycle process can’t cope. After all if you are daft enough to put them loose into the recycle bin or the normal one there is an equal chance of spillage.

Years ago, in my childhood days, we would probably use the shreddings to make paper mache things.

Userlevel 4

I wish they would hurry up & bring this in.

My brother lives in Canada, and its spotless out there. There is very little litter to be found on the streets or highways because people actually go out to pick up bottles & cans to take back to the centers to claim the deposits, 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Used to do that in my youth. We would look out for empty pop bottles and others where there was a deposit, get them to the shops and supplement our pocket money.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

just in time for lockdown 3 then...

My brother lives in Canada, and its spotless out there. There is very little litter to be found on the streets or highways because people actually go out to pick up bottles & cans to take back to the centers to claim the deposits, 

Didn’t know they already had this in Canada, it’s interesting to hear it seems to be working there, thanks @Mightymidget

Sounds like you’d defo get involved then? :grin:  

I heard a few European cities trialled a similar initiative, but instead of cash it was used to get public transport tickets (e.g. 5-10 plastic bottles = a 2-day pass for the metro). Not sure if that’d be as effective but it’s likely a good way to encourage use of public transport?

Userlevel 4

Didn’t know they already had this in Canada, it’s interesting to hear it seems to be working there, thanks @Mightymidget

Sounds like you’d defo get involved then? :grin:  

I heard a few European cities trialled a similar initiative, but instead of cash it was used to get public transport tickets (e.g. 5-10 plastic bottles = a 2-day pass for the metro). Not sure if that’d be as effective but it’s likely a good way to encourage use of public transport?

Yea, its not a huge amount, couple of bucks per kilo, and if your like my brother he has 3 large bins in the yard, so fills them all up & then takes them down, usually gets about $50, (pre covid- BBqs & garden parties help)

I'd deffo get involved, I do all my recycling, but half of what you throw out gets ruined by way of contamination anyhow. And ends up in the general trash pits.

Yea, its not a huge amount, couple of bucks per kilo, and if your like my brother he has 3 large bins in the yard, so fills them all up & then takes them down, usually gets about $50, (pre covid- BBqs & garden parties help)

Money back from throwing a party? I love it! :laughing:  Every little helps! 

It’s true @Mightymidget, recycling often becomes complicated - such as not being able to recycle black plastic, or some regions recycling bottle lids and others not… hopefully if a bottle deposit scheme was introduced in the UK there’d make it pretty clear what to do so it’s as easy as possible to get involved!