DIY cleaning products!

• 16 March 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi everyone,

Many people have their own hints and tips for cleaning up round the home - I was wondering if anyone has some handy cleaning hacks? 😁

Making your own cleaning products can be a great way to make sure they're environmentally friendly (for example, by avoiding harmful toxins), and helps reuse your household plastic, or avoid buying as much plastic in the first place.

For example - a quick and easy window cleaner ✨:
50 ml of white vinegar
1 tbsp of cornflour
250 ml ml of warm water

And I hope I'm not the only one who uses lemons to clean the fridge? πŸ‹

These can also come in handy for when the shops are out of stock... 😡

6 replies

Badge +1
I had never heard of the cornflour part for that Nataly, must give that a go.

I use a lot of Soda Crystals these days. I use less washing powder and add some of that in. I also soak some heavily stained stuff in it with boiled water and will often add white vinegar in too.

I've also been known to throw a cup of bicarb or soda crystals down the loo from time to time too.
I'm trying to clean my combi microwave, and it's doing my spud in.

I keep getting a 'small spark' somewhere at the top of it, which to my mind means there must be something up there that the microwaves are reacting to.
I've tried plastic scourers, astonish steel cleaner, heating water in the oven with lemons in - whatever it is, it isn't budging.

​​​​​​​
NannyOgg;50152:

I use a lot of Soda Crystals these days. I use less washing powder and add some of that in. I also soak some heavily stained stuff in it with boiled water and will often add white vinegar in too.

Hmm so stained clothes in boiled water and soda crystals? That's a good tip instead of using Vanish 😁

​​​​​​​This thread may come in handy as at the supermarket today they were all out of every cleaning product!
Gwyndy;50236:
I'm trying to clean my combi microwave, and it's doing my spud in.

I keep getting a 'small spark' somewhere at the top of it, which to my mind means there must be something up there that the microwaves are reacting to.
I've tried plastic scourers, astonish steel cleaner, heating water in the oven with lemons in - whatever it is, it isn't budging.

​​​​​​​

Oh no! I would've suggested the hot water with lemon trick.

You can do the same thing but heating white vinegar in a bowl of water for 10 mins - that may do the job?
Badge +1
There are some surfaces you can clean by taking half a lemon, dipping it into some salt and scrubbing the area down. Works great on stainless steel too, give that a try @Gwyndy
Oh that's a great tip @NannyOgg! Sounds like that may do the job nicely πŸ‘

People are either going to have very messy or very spotlessly clean homes by the end of the next few months I think πŸ˜‚