Black plastic can’t be recycled

• 13 August 2018
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I learned this the other day, I had no idea to be honest. But it looks like black plastic cannot be recycled, so be wary about buying food in black plastic containers!

The reason seems to be as follows

According to Greenpeace UK oceans campaigner Fiona Nicholls, it’s because black plastic gets its colour from being dyed with carbon black pigments – and it’s those pigments that stop the plastic from being recycled in this country.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/10/know-black-plastic-cant-recycled-7619361/?ito=cbshare

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Yes, I heard this a while back, Gabo, but tbh nothing is concrete; keep hearing conflicting reports. Some, like above, say it can’t be recycled, others say SOME black plastic can be recycled, but not all. Then other reports say yes it can all be recycled, so it’s left me a bit baffled. Therefore, for now, I’m continuing to put all my black plastics in with the recycling, in the hope that at least some of it, if not most, will be able to be recycled.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I don't like it when experts disagree :(

But all I hear about black plastics at the moment is that they can't be processed. May be worth asking this directly to my recycling center.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
As far as im aware black plastic is very hard to recycle as it can only be used to make black plastic.the problem being colour as black cant be made into any other colour.(sure add enough white and it will go a funny looking grey)any colour can be made by mixing primery colours (red,blue,yellow)but you cant make black or white.and so the process cant be reversed.
I think we should burn more waste to produce energy with modern air scrubbing tech which can remove all pollution from the fumes.i go to a place in todtmoos germany for the odd holiday where all the residents get free hot water by burning waste and wood chipping from a little furness in the village.
Maybe we should ban landfill by 2030 to encourage such ideas.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Totally agree about burning more waste. Feels like ther's a group of very sensible people living in that village in Germany .

As for black plastic Im going to try and stay away from it until I find out from my recycling centre.
Oddly, where I live (Carmarthenshire) you can't recycle 'white plastic' - at least not if it's 'hard plastic.'

Badge +2
Interesting, I hadn't heard this before - although I find it hard to understand which plastic are recyclable or not. From 2017: https://resource.co/article/one-show-tackles-black-plastic-confusion-11742

What I would REALLY like is a clear system of marking ALL packaging as recyclable or not. I know it will vary across the country but if _somebody_recycles it, it should be marked as such
Hey Jowl..... I totally agree with you that ALL Packaging should be marked as recyclable or not, to take away any confusion for the public. If manufacturers won't do it just cos it is the right thing to do. Then the Government should pass legislation to make it compulsory.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Most packaging is already marked with various numbers but there are 2 issues; they are hard to read and very few people actually understand what they mean in terms of recycling (if they are able to see them in the first place).
​The classifications should be writ clearer and integration into local recycling should be better.
​.
woz;29748:
Most packaging is already marked with various numbers but there are 2 issues; they are hard to read and very few people actually understand what they mean in terms of recycling (if they are able to see them in the first place).
​The classifications should be writ clearer and integration into local recycling should be better.
​.

There's a breakdown of what the numbers mean here but to be honest I think that's just confused me more... apparently even if it has a number in arrows on it that doesn't actually mean it's always recyclable?!

Agreed.. people aren't going to take the time to figure out every single different one and look into whether their local council collects it for recycling or not.
And what about plastic bottle caps? Can they be recycled? Should we leave them on or separate them? 😕

It shouldn't be this hard to do a good thing!