Being vegan or vegetarian could put you at greater risk of suffering a stroke

• 5 September 2019
  • 12 replies

• Community Manager
  • 5836 replies
Well here's a surprising bit of news.

Turns out being vegan or vegetarian may put you at a higher risk of suffering a stroke.

The BBC is reporting the findings come from a "major study" of 48,000 people over 18 years.

It says the study has found that vegans and vegetarians had 10 fewer cases of heart disease, but three more strokes per 1,000 people compared with the meat-eaters.

The researchers suggested this could be linked to low vitamin B12 levels but said more studies were needed to investigate the connection.

I suppose we should take this with a pinch of salt?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Nice wit at the end there! My wife had just mentioned this story, and ten seconds later I read your post, how weird is that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
All ya need is good ole Marmite with everythingπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜‚
Bev;36978:
All ya need is good ole Marmite with everything

Hmm, not sure I can agree with you there @Bev

But, as m'learned friend and colleague @Georgie would say, I'm not here to yuk your yum 😂
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Like that little ditty πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ‘, not heard that one before πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘. Marmite deffo not yuk tho, 110% yum! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‰
If you don't like Marmite on your wholemeal toast you can all just have some cereal and "milk" - just about all cereal has B12 added (and has done for years!)

Most veggie and vegans I know (small sample I will admit) tend to take vitamin tablets as well though as there have been a lot of stories along the lines of you cant get everything you need from a diet without meat!!!! You will hurt yourself / your child. I tend to feel it is the usual thing of eat a range of different veg and meat substitutes and you will be OK. Stick to only a few things as the mainstay of your diet and you will have problems. Vegan diets have become soooooooo much easier in the past few years my eldest son went vegan 3 years ago and its much easier / more mainstream to feed him now than it was. :)

Erika
Erika123;37052:
Vegan diets have become soooooooo much easier in the past few years my eldest son went vegan 3 years ago and its much easier / more mainstream to feed him now than it was. :)

Out of interest @Erika123 what was his reason for going vegan?
(I'm curious as to whether choose it mostly for health, for environment, or for animal cruelty reasons.)
Eldest son went Vegetarian nearly 5 years ago now, then vegan 2 years later. He has got his brother onto a vegetarian diet and me mainly vegetarian (I occasionally eat fish - probably 3 or 4 times a year now). He went vegetarian because of animal cruelty, did a fair amount of research on the internet and moved to vegan. He is quite vocal about the harm we do to animals but (he is nearly 14) now does understand that telling someone drinking a milkshake about how calves are killed, how many antibiotics are given to the cows, and why they should stop is something that needs to wait until he at least knows them and they are not drinking the milkshake :)

All 3 of us take supplements, theoretically we could get everything from the diet but practically it is easier to take the supplements. As it is both kids are learning how to cook from scratch and how to explain to friends parents what they will and wont eat and why. Vegan January is always fun as my food bill seems to double - they will both bring home friends to try things and prove that its not all yucky tasting and that it does not take hours to make.
Erika123;37146:
Eldest son went Vegetarian nearly 5 years ago now, then vegan 2 years later. He has got his brother onto a vegetarian diet and me mainly vegetarian (I occasionally eat fish - probably 3 or 4 times a year now). He went vegetarian because of animal cruelty, did a fair amount of research on the internet and moved to vegan. He is quite vocal about the harm we do to animals but (he is nearly 14) now does understand that telling someone drinking a milkshake about how calves are killed, how many antibiotics are given to the cows, and why they should stop is something that needs to wait until he at least knows them and they are not drinking the milkshake :)

Thanks @Erika123
I was speaking to the owner of a fantastic vegan cafe here in Bath about this. Anecdotally his feeling was that people are more inclined to go vegan for environment or health reasons these days, whereas a few years ago he felt it was more about animal cruelty.
It would be interesting to have some data or research on this.
Perhaps the animal cruelty reason appeals more to younger people?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Thanks for the idea!
https://community.purepla.net/threads/6942-Poll-If-you-already-are-or-are-considering-becoming-vegetarian-or-vegan-what-is-the-main-reason
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Thirty odd years ago, my going vegetarian was 100% animal cruelty. This year I’m making the transition to vegan, I’m almost there, and that’s more to do with health and planet deffo
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Fishing? not judging just asking...
Bev;37188:
Thirty odd years ago, my going vegetarian was 100% animal cruelty. This year I’m making the transition to vegan, I’m almost there, and that’s more to do with health and planet deffo
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Absolutely Woz, dead against it, and know re book, I know, but put straight back in when caught, and know sounds silly but book and series much more about the friendship and comedy than the actual fishing. I wouldn’t have embraced either otherwise. So yes, dead against fishing