Anyone fancy joining us on a visit to a solar farm?

• Community Manager
  • 5636 replies
Hi all

We're planning an outing to a solar farm which provides clean energy to the national grid.

Blatchworthy solar farm is a 1.4MWp solar installation near Tiverton, Devon.

We're thinking about a day trip in late May and community members are welcome to come. We'll sort your travel expenses, of course.:D

The actual date still needs to be confirmed but if you're interested let me know!

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Sounds great but happy to be excluded as had the benefit of the previous office visit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hey don’t let that stop you Strutt πŸ™€, Jon certainly won’t, will you Jon?! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚, sooooo playing Jon!

The warmth and generosity of PP is beyond outstanding IMO πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
IYO is spot on Bev

And we're all so....ever so umble....blimey wheres the h gone and a double so so
Hello @Marc - I would be interested as you are getting closer to my patch!
Userlevel 6
Badge
Might be a possible, as we have, yet more, holiday from teaching at that time. If they coincide I would be interested.
Nice one @Strutt G @Lenny @Daspy
Any more takers? The more the merrier! ;-))):)
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Haha bev. Im always ready for a dayout. Devon in the sunshine sounds good to me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Sounds great to me too, but a little too far for me just right now Jonny, but know you’ll enjoy πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Hey @Strutt G @Lenny @Daspy
Nice one!
The date we have in mind is Thursday 16 May.
How does that work for you?
Hello @Marc,

Yes please - just wondering about access to the site from Tiverton station?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi Marc,

In theory I'm more than happy to attend, just pondering on the logistics re ETA and distance from station to farm.

Lets discuss via DM - Cheers Dude!
Good morning @Lenny @Strutt G
Cool bananas (as the youth say these days) 😂
I'll get that date confirmed and DM you guys info about trains.
I'd love to, but unless Kate was fit to travel there would be no point signing up, plus I'd have to drive there anyway.

There's a solar farm a few miles up the road, but I have no idea how to arrange a visit.

https://electricityproduction.uk/plant/GBR0002355/

Thank you for the offer though, it's nice to see the way Pure Planet thinks.
​
Userlevel 6
Badge
Will be a week or so too early for me sadly. Next half term not until 27 May. Let us know about max output etc. Would be an interesting comparison wjth my home array at 3.72kW max output.
Hope you have the weather and a great day.
Here are some photos from today's solar farm visit.
From left are Wanda and Liza from BPLightsource, Phil from PP's marketing team, community member @Lenny and Paul and Jordan who manage the site.

Marc - many thanks for the invitation.

The folks from BPLightsource were very knowledgeable and answered all our many question.

Hats off to Paul and Jordan who manage this site, and many others. They explained how maintenance and repair work was not halted when it was raining. I was always taught that electricity and water weren't a great combination!

For @Daspy, the max output from the 10 acre site was around 1.4 MWatts.
Lenny;29484:
Marc - many thanks for the invitation.

The folks from BPLightsource were very knowledgeable and answered all our many question.

Hats off to Paul and Jordan who manage this site, and many others. They explained how maintenance and repair work was not halted when it was raining. I was always taught that electricity and water weren't a great combination!

Nice one @Lenny glad you enjoyed it :o
We may look at more of these visits! It's a good way of actually bring renewable energy 'to life' isn't it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
I have to admit there is something quite majestic about seeing row after row of these solar panels, but i do wish they would sow wild flowers and plants inbetween the rows instead of just having grass.
Hi @Jon1 , we were impressed yesterday by the sheep grazing around the edge of the solar panels. Apparently on other sites there are bees and sometimes even sheep or mischievous chickens hiding behind the panels.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi @Lenny, Thanks so much for coming along. It was a really interesting to visit. Thanks for asking so many great questions. I really like seeing the clean environment where our energy comes from and learning about the operations that make it all happen. Phil
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Really glad you enjoyed it Lenny πŸ‘, what no Jonny?! πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ˜‚
Jon1;29496:
I have to admit there is something quite majestic about seeing row after row of these solar panels, but i do wish they would sow wild flowers and plants inbetween the rows instead of just having grass.

We raised the matter of additional land use with the folks from BPLightsource. They explained that this is done very much in consultation with wishes of the land owner. Owners at other sites they manage have been a bit more pro-active in this regard, with bees, the sowing of wild meadows and other conservation measures being adopted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Haha bev.
Had a busy time of it lately and then im away thus weekend, got a big match at wembley to attend this weekend so was not able to commit to going or else i would of been there with a tin of sandwichs and several flasks of coffee.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
me too, I really would have liked to have seen it but it was just too far away...
​I'm def. with you on the coffee
Jon1;29521:
Haha bev.
Had a busy time of it lately and then im away thus weekend, got a big match at wembley to attend this weekend so was not able to commit to going or else i would of been there with a tin of sandwichs and several flasks of coffee.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Agree, awful lot of travel for a day, but great Lenny was able to feedback πŸ‘πŸ‘. Enjoy your ⚽️Jonny
Userlevel 6
Badge
Cheers Lenny as I thought a massive output. My home solar array is 3.72kWatts!