10 years to change how we travel, what will you do? (vote in our poll!)

• 21 September 2020
  • 13 replies

It’s looking likely that a ban on fossil fuel vehicles will be brought forward to 2030 (down from 2040), just 10 years away! 

This is all part of the UK’s plans to reduce carbon emissions and invest in green tech as we look to recover from COVID-19.

It seems fairly certain that sooner or later the change will happen, so how will you be travelling in future, and crucially - is 10 years enough time to make the change:rotating_light:

I know when I’m next looking to buy a car it’ll sway my decision!
How does the saying go - it’s like riding a bike? That may well come in handy... :bike:

Banning fossil fuel vehicles - what will you do instead?

13 replies

I, like I guess many of us, don’t have a single ‘right answer’.

My current vehicle usage is fairly low (well, I think it is anyway), 11745 miles since January 2nd 2018 (roughly 4400 miles per year), and I’ve regularly suggested to Kate that the costs involved in owning a Motability vehicle would be better invested in getting wheelchair accessible taxis when needed.

Two things always stop us:

1: Kate’s condition demands a vehicle the size of the Boxer, and most wheelchair accessible taxis around our way, possibly all, are way smaller.

2: Convenience - we rarely know ahead of time when we are going to need to go somewhere.

Me personally, I can, provided someone’s home to look after Kate, get most places by bike or bus, but Kate can’t - I can only hope the government do something to solve the dilemma for people like us.

At the moment, my best hope is that the electric, or hybrid, version of the Boxer (or its successor) will be available by 2030 in Wheelchair Accessible format, or that our grandfathered rights to continue to use an existing fossil fuel powered vehicle continue for some time after 2030.
Theoretically, we keep the current vehicle until 2023 or 2025, so we’ll be either on the ‘next vehicle’ or the one after it (confusing isn’t it?).

Hey @Gwyndy  you’ve raised a really good point - in order to achieve this, as a minimum issues like public transport and ensuring it’s accessible is going to become key! 

Sounds like if you can keep your current vehicle until 2025 then you have a good few years to plan and see how the situation unfolds:relaxed:  which suggests bringing this in by 2030 may be enough time! (or at least, enough time to know if you’re buying a new car for example. Not necessarily enough time to sort out public transport issues...)

Userlevel 4

Haven't got a clue, 

Like Gwyndy  my car is low milage

I bought it 2 years ago with 72k on the clock, & im now on 76k, I literally drive to the achool & back, & groceries, and occasional day trips. My husbands car on the other hand  does on average of 150k a year ( he normally changes his every 12 months because of his milage)

So yea I'd be happy with an elec/hybrid, im not into speed either  ill happy chug along at 30/40mph  although I do like power... i borrowed my dads little 1liter.... and i swear  on my way to a crew, the  hurse overtook me... (mortified 🤣)

We rarely fly these days, even less so with my last 3 holidays being cancelled due to covid 

We definatley need to find ways of lowering the carbon and there are some great ways to do it, however these have been in the pipelines for so long, im sure they could introduce them quicker than they plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

What with Covid  one has to be thankful being overtaken by a hearse rather than being in it… 

I don’t think I’ve done more than 100 miles in the last 6 months. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

If I am still above the turf in 10 years it will be an electric vehicle. I have a hybrid now and the fuel consumption has gone from 38mpg when I had a petrol vehicle to 54mpg. Of course petrol and diesel will be with us long after 2030. For some the times they need a vehicle that goes a long distance are so few it is cheaper to have a small electric and hire a bigger car when needed.

Userlevel 5
Badge

I sold my car when I left the US 22 years ago, and haven’t looked back.

Relied a  bit on cycling (no longer), primarily public transport.

Since mid March, my only means of locomotion has been with my own two feet (no cars, taxis, public transport, not even a bicycle, scooter, or hoverboard).

As the temperature drops, and if I’m more willing to venture a bit further, I might tackle the buses again--particularly since I’m a big public transport advocate. In future I would hope that this would be primarily electric.

Badge +1

Nat,  I cant vote on my laptop but I can on my smart phone ?  Weird.

Nat,  I cant vote on my laptop but I can on my smart phone ?  Weird.

Hmm that’s strange, haven’t come across that before - have you been able to vote on other polls (e.g. here) on your laptop? If it happens again let me know! 

I sold my car when I left the US 22 years ago, and haven’t looked back.

Relied a  bit on cycling (no longer), primarily public transport.

Since mid March, my only means of locomotion has been with my own two feet (no cars, taxis, public transport, not even a bicycle, scooter, or hoverboard).

As the temperature drops, and if I’m more willing to venture a bit further, I might tackle the buses again--particularly since I’m a big public transport advocate. In future I would hope that this would be primarily electric.

Great to hear from you @schase:grin:

I believe @Bev had a similar experience of waving goodbye to her car a while ago! It’s pretty impressive, I don’t know many people who’ve done that without eventually going back to having a car! 

I bet not having a car helps towards hitting that 10k steps…, too :smiley:

Electric buses? It’ll be interesting to see if the development of EV batteries makes electric public transport more viable (and in the meantime we’ve just been chatting about Bristol’s excellent poo buses:sweat_smile: )

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Indeed I did Nat 👍

I thought it was only going to be short term, and like you schase, I wondered about the winter months. But I realised the benefits of walking, no longer felt the need to go to the gym. Guess lucky in respect work has always been local, well a one hour walk each way, but doable, as is food shopping and anything else really. Use 🚇🚉🚊if need to go further out, but never buses. Certainly gets the steps up indeed, and honestly don’t miss the 🚘one bit, nor the road rage of others 🙄👎. 

One thing that’d deffo tempt me back to a car tho, is the driverless car, when I know fully fully tested and safe and used by all. I mean, your own private space, without the angst of other drivers, and the stress that it brings with it. I think I’d go for that, even if I only used it when out of my home city 👏👍

One thing that’d deffo tempt me back to a car tho, is the driverless car, when I know fully fully tested and safe and used by all. I mean, your own private space, without the angst of other drivers, and the stress that it brings with it. I think I’d go for that, even if I only used it when out of my home city 👏👍

In Arizona you could already use a driverless car as a taxi if you wanted…! 

Interesting, as it’s your own private space without needing to worry about turning up on time for the train/bus… should’ve added driverless car as a poll option! :stuck_out_tongue:  Reckon they’ll actually be available in 10 years? (Maybe if Musk has his way!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Been considering what to do about a motor vehicle for several months...or more.

Its such a dilemma. I quite like the fact that my old car sits outside and its value worthless.

I’ve decided that until I move an EV is not viable without a drive and own charging point.

I guess I’ll get a non plugin hybrid. Mostly likely Japanese as they seem to be higher up on the reliability scale. Was going to purchase newish, but thinking maybe now having another arrangement may be better. OH what a nause. I use the tube, the bus, cycle and walk so like many its a mix.

@Strutt G it’s definitely becoming tricky to decide if you’re looking to sort a new vehicle in the near future! 

I have friends who have looked into leasing a hybrid car as it gives a bit more flexibility to see how things develop over the next couple of years (ideally they’d like an EV once they have their own house with driveway) - sounds like that may become an interesting option for you too? 

Having access to the tube is handy, a bit like the trams in Manchester, as it’s pretty reliable!