• Smart Meter Installation issues

Good day,

Would you please advice on Smart Meter Installation guide? A year ago I decided to instal a Smart Meter with other provider. When engineer came and looked at electricity meter (standart) he said that electricity wire that coming out of the house to the electricity meter is wrong diameter (small) so he will not be able to install smart meter as it uses different wire (bigger diameter). He also mentioned that if I would like to get smart meter I have to rewire the house... at my own cost. Would you be able to explain what he meant? Is there any truth behind his words? Thank you so much for your reply.

​​​​​​​Regards,
  • Good day,

Would you please advice on Smart Meter Installation guide? A year ago I decided to instal a Smart Meter with other provider. When engineer came and looked at electricity meter (standart) he said that electricity wire that coming out of the house to the electricity meter is wrong diameter (small) so he will not be able to install smart meter as it uses different wire (bigger diameter). He also mentioned that if I would like to get smart meter I have to rewire the house... at my own cost. Would you be able to explain what he meant? Is there any truth behind his words? Thank you so much for your reply.

​​​​​​​Regards,

• I had a smart meter installed in the summer and whilst it appears to register gas, the electricity appears to show "waiting for data".
    I have had an email asking whether I want to register for a smart meter so it evidently isnt working and Wotbot cant recognise that I have a meter. Not sure what to do next and would welcome any guidance.
    ​​​​​​​Thankd
  • I had a smart meter installed in the summer and whilst it appears to register gas, the electricity appears to show "waiting for data".
    I have had an email asking whether I want to register for a smart meter so it evidently isnt working and Wotbot cant recognise that I have a meter. Not sure what to do next and would welcome any guidance.
    ​​​​​​​Thankd

• Hello MaKra.

the bits yours on about is called the meter tails. The size of these is determined by the size of the main fuse before the meter and if they are too small then yes they should be changed, this is somwthing that can be arranged to be done at the same time as a meter change.

​​​​​​​the wiring on the whole house may be old but that does not necessarily make it unsafe, kinda depends how old it is. A good electrian can do some testing and advise you properly vut this is something you would have to pay for yourself. A good clue is what type of fuse box do you have . Breakers of old school wire fuses ?
  • Hello MaKra.

the bits yours on about is called the meter tails. The size of these is determined by the size of the main fuse before the meter and if they are too small then yes they should be changed, this is somwthing that can be arranged to be done at the same time as a meter change.

​​​​​​​the wiring on the whole house may be old but that does not necessarily make it unsafe, kinda depends how old it is. A good electrian can do some testing and advise you properly vut this is something you would have to pay for yourself. A good clue is what type of fuse box do you have . Breakers of old school wire fuses ?