Poll: Should EVs get green number plates?

• POLL: Should EVs be given green number plates?

It looks like the Government may go ahead with plans to give all EV cars green number plates.

​The BBC is reporting that it'll make it easier for local authorities to 'enforce' cheaper parking and congestion zones.

​Do you think it's a good idea? And would you see if as a 'badge of honour' if you had an EV?
    Last edited by Marc; 22-10-19 at 07:59. Reason: typo!
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • It looks like the Government may go ahead with plans to give all EV cars green number plates.

​The BBC is reporting that it'll make it easier for local authorities to 'enforce' cheaper parking and congestion zones.

​Do you think it's a good idea? And would you see if as a 'badge of honour' if you had an EV?

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Oooooooh yes I saw this this morning and thought fab fab fab idea yes 👍👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Oooooooh yes I saw this this morning and thought fab fab fab idea yes 👍👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Some voting the other way though @Bev
    It would be interesting to know why

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Some voting the other way though @Bev

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Some voting the other way though @Bev
    I don't have a problem with EVs having a green number plate, and by all means install public chargers,but what I do have a problem with is the so called concessions attached to them.
    By allowing EVs to use bus lanes, once you reach a certain take-up point, the bus lanes will become just another lane, negating the reason for the bus lanes in the first place. If you are stuck in traffic, at least you can do so safe in the knowledge that your car isn't polluting while stationary. Isn't that the reason for getting an EV in the first place.
    Then you have free or reduced parking, all councils now rely on this income to top up their funds. By introducing free or reduced parking, the costs will be transferred to the very people that cannot afford to buy EVs in the first place,due to the high cost, thereby creating another class, where only the (relatively) wealthy get the perks.
    Last edited by Duppy; 23-10-19 at 08:20.
    Some voting the other way though @Bev
    I don't have a problem with EVs having a green number plate, and by all means install public chargers,but what I do have a problem with is the so called concessions attached to them.
    By allowing EVs to use bus lanes, once you reach a certain take-up point, the bus lanes will become just another lane, negating the reason for the bus lanes in the first place. If you are stuck in traffic, at least you can do so safe in the knowledge that your car isn't polluting while stationary. Isn't that the reason for getting an EV in the first place.
    Then you have free or reduced parking, all councils now rely on this income to top up their funds. By introducing free or reduced parking, the costs will be transferred to the very people that cannot afford to buy EVs in the first place,due to the high cost, thereby creating another class, where only the (relatively) wealthy get the perks.
  • Good points well made @Duppy
    What about congestion/clean air zones? EVs tend to be exempt from these, even the London one.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Good points well made @Duppy
    What about congestion/clean air zones? EVs tend to be exempt from these, even the London one.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
    Good points well made @Duppy
    I don't have enough experience to comment on congestion zones, but you can guarantee that when the volume of EVs reach a tipping point, the council's will find another way of subsidising their income.
    ​​​​​​​Like the Road Fund License increases, a car registered in March 2017 taxed £20, registered in April 2017 taxed £145. Is it cynical to suggest that the increase is to subsidize the EVs £0 rating

​​​​​​​Just to point out that I am not anti EV, I would probably get one if I could afford it, but on a pension it's not likely
    Last edited by Duppy; 23-10-19 at 16:48.
    Good points well made @Duppy
    I don't have enough experience to comment on congestion zones, but you can guarantee that when the volume of EVs reach a tipping point, the council's will find another way of subsidising their income.
    ​​​​​​​Like the Road Fund License increases, a car registered in March 2017 taxed £20, registered in April 2017 taxed £145. Is it cynical to suggest that the increase is to subsidize the EVs £0 rating

​​​​​​​Just to point out that I am not anti EV, I would probably get one if I could afford it, but on a pension it's not likely
  • It's a bit virtue signalling but it's not a terrible idea.
  • It's a bit virtue signalling but it's not a terrible idea.
  • What's wrong with virtue signalling? It allows those of us who are perfect to maintain a deserved air of superiority.
    i'm off out now to buy some fake EV number plates to put on my gas guzzler...
    Quote Originally Posted by Antski View Post
    It's a bit virtue signalling but it's not a terrible idea.
  • What's wrong with virtue signalling? It allows those of us who are perfect to maintain a deserved air of superiority.
    i'm off out now to buy some fake EV number plates to put on my gas guzzler...
    Quote Originally Posted by Antski View Post
    It's a bit virtue signalling but it's not a terrible idea.
  • Nope because it only serves to annoy others and implies EVs are green which overall they are not - speaking as an ev owner who has just retro fitted a 30kwh pack. Have contacts both at forefront of ev technologies in aerospace and automotive sectors and others working with street kids in DRC where most of our cobalt comes from.

​​​There's too much emphasis on one technology at the expense of others and on the flip side hugely wasteful scrappage schemes.

​​​​​​​Just to build and deliver a simple SUV to a UK dealer is equivalent pollution to 60,000 miles in a small petrol hatchback.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope because it only serves to annoy others and implies EVs are green which overall they are not - speaking as an ev owner who has just retro fitted a 30kwh pack. Have contacts both at forefront of ev technologies in aerospace and automotive sectors and others working with street kids in DRC where most of our cobalt comes from.

​​​There's too much emphasis on one technology at the expense of others and on the flip side hugely wasteful scrappage schemes.

​​​​​​​Just to build and deliver a simple SUV to a UK dealer is equivalent pollution to 60,000 miles in a small petrol hatchback.
  • Nope because it only serves to annoy others and implies EVs are green which overall they are not - speaking as an ev owner who has just retro fitted a 30kwh pack. Have contacts both at forefront of ev technologies in aerospace and automotive sectors and others working with street kids in DRC where most of our cobalt comes from.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope because it only serves to annoy others and implies EVs are green which overall they are not - speaking as an ev owner who has just retro fitted a 30kwh pack. Have contacts both at forefront of ev technologies in aerospace and automotive sectors and others working with street kids in DRC where most of our cobalt comes from.