• How to REALLY read my Landis+Gyr electricity meter

Another repost as a new thread, as the original post became buried in the thread Ask Your Smart Meter Technical Questions, with no responses. A possible sign that the Smart Meters forum could use some reorganisation.

I had smart meters installed 17-Sep, and whilst the gas meter is easy to read, the electricity meter takes a bit more work--a lot more than than the instructions provided: "Hold button A for two seconds and the default screen will display - the total units of kWh. For additional data screens, press A again".

​If only. What I have to go through:

1. Press button A for two seconds: screen with garbage displayed
    2. Try it again: press button A again for two seconds
    3. Press button A again
    4. Press button A again
    5. Press...
    6. eventually the screen will show a display: not kWh, but 'Credit Mode Bal'
    7. Press Button A again nine more times, cycling through lots of information before getting to something that looks like kWh: 'Total Act Import'

I've cycled through all the display screens; there are 32 of them, displaying virtually everything save my NI number.

Being the geek that I am, I'd like to know which is the correct screen for showing the meter reading that is to be sent, as there are several with kWh displayed.

Also curious to know what button B is on both electricity and gas meters. I was told by the Magnum installer not to press it (I'm guessing that pressing it might cause a universal catastrophe far greater than global warming or a no-deal Brexit).

No luck finding current online manuals for th L+G meters
  • Another repost as a new thread, as the original post became buried in the thread Ask Your Smart Meter Technical Questions, with no responses. A possible sign that the Smart Meters forum could use some reorganisation.

I had smart meters installed 17-Sep, and whilst the gas meter is easy to read, the electricity meter takes a bit more work--a lot more than than the instructions provided: "Hold button A for two seconds and the default screen will display - the total units of kWh. For additional data screens, press A again".

​If only. What I have to go through:

1. Press button A for two seconds: screen with garbage displayed
    2. Try it again: press button A again for two seconds
    3. Press button A again
    4. Press button A again
    5. Press...
    6. eventually the screen will show a display: not kWh, but 'Credit Mode Bal'
    7. Press Button A again nine more times, cycling through lots of information before getting to something that looks like kWh: 'Total Act Import'

I've cycled through all the display screens; there are 32 of them, displaying virtually everything save my NI number.

Being the geek that I am, I'd like to know which is the correct screen for showing the meter reading that is to be sent, as there are several with kWh displayed.

Also curious to know what button B is on both electricity and gas meters. I was told by the Magnum installer not to press it (I'm guessing that pressing it might cause a universal catastrophe far greater than global warming or a no-deal Brexit).

No luck finding current online manuals for th L+G meters

• Hi Schase.
    I have had the same problems. I have found that the easiest method is press B, do you want Boost comes up B for yes A for no.press A the screen returns to normal reading screen. It could be that B is for prepay meters that run out of credit ( I could be wrong, I'm often told I am )
    Last edited by Duppy; 16-10-19 at 10:29.
  • Hi Schase.
    I have had the same problems. I have found that the easiest method is press B, do you want Boost comes up B for yes A for no.press A the screen returns to normal reading screen. It could be that B is for prepay meters that run out of credit ( I could be wrong, I'm often told I am )

• Hi @schase
    It's not great, we hear that.
    I've made our smart meters team aware of this.
    Are you able to get a reading? (Albeit from a meter which isn't user-friendly)
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Hi @schase
    It's not great, we hear that.
    I've made our smart meters team aware of this.
    Are you able to get a reading? (Albeit from a meter which isn't user-friendly)

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

• @Marc, yes, I'm able to get a reading. But the tech guy lurking inside me would like to know which of these measurements is the relevant one (disregarding the fact that all currently read the same value):

Total Act Import
    Total (sum)
    Total (net)

I've also learned a new measure of power, 'reactive power' (kVAh) vs 'active power' (kWh). The numbers for reactive power read slightly higher than those for active power. What took me aback is that on the meter display 'kVAh' could easily be mistaken for 'kWh'!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi @schase It's not great, we hear that. I've made our smart meters team aware of this. Are you able to get a reading? (Albeit from a meter which isn't user-friendly)
  • @Marc, yes, I'm able to get a reading. But the tech guy lurking inside me would like to know which of these measurements is the relevant one (disregarding the fact that all currently read the same value):

Total Act Import
    Total (sum)
    Total (net)

I've also learned a new measure of power, 'reactive power' (kVAh) vs 'active power' (kWh). The numbers for reactive power read slightly higher than those for active power. What took me aback is that on the meter display 'kVAh' could easily be mistaken for 'kWh'!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi @schase It's not great, we hear that. I've made our smart meters team aware of this. Are you able to get a reading? (Albeit from a meter which isn't user-friendly)

• Quote Originally Posted by schase View Post
    @Marc, yes, I'm able to get a reading. But the tech guy lurking inside me would like to know which of these measurements is the relevant one (disregarding the fact that all currently read the same value):

Total Act Import
    Total (sum)
    Total (net)

That's good to hear @schase
    I'm going to send you a mahoooosive operator manual. I'm hoping it will satisfy the tech guy within, and be of help of course.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Quote Originally Posted by schase View Post
    @Marc, yes, I'm able to get a reading. But the tech guy lurking inside me would like to know which of these measurements is the relevant one (disregarding the fact that all currently read the same value):

Total Act Import
    Total (sum)
    Total (net)

That's good to hear @schase
    I'm going to send you a mahoooosive operator manual. I'm hoping it will satisfy the tech guy within, and be of help of course.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

• Hi Schase
    I've just gone to take my weekly reading, I noticed that the reading is on electric meter, but backlight not on, so you don't actually need to press a button ( unless it's very dark )
  • Hi Schase
    I've just gone to take my weekly reading, I noticed that the reading is on electric meter, but backlight not on, so you don't actually need to press a button ( unless it's very dark )

• As far as I understand Tot. act import is the correct reading. That is a measure of how much useful energy you've taken from the grid. (note the word useful this is to discriminate non-reactive power i.e kWh as opposed to wasted power which the grid have to pay for kVAh, which is power where the current and voltage are not in-phase)
    (Unless you have onsite generation in which case you need to take a stiff drink and read THIS)
    Last edited by woz; 19-10-19 at 12:45.
  • As far as I understand Tot. act import is the correct reading. That is a measure of how much useful energy you've taken from the grid. (note the word useful this is to discriminate non-reactive power i.e kWh as opposed to wasted power which the grid have to pay for kVAh, which is power where the current and voltage are not in-phase)
    (Unless you have onsite generation in which case you need to take a stiff drink and read THIS)

• Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
    Hi Schase
    Thanks, @Duppy, for pointing this out. So to update my original post, I think the meter is working as described in the 143 page manual @Marc sent me (Section 15.1, p. 101), but not as per the PP instructions ("Hold button A for two seconds and the default screen will display - the total units of kWh. For additional data screens, press A again").

• ​The default display is 'Tot. act import' in kWh, the reading we would send in. However, this is displayed without the backlight, so is very difficult to read without shining a torch on the meter.
    • As soon as you press the A button, the backlight comes on, but immediately switches to the All Segment Display (garbage); if you blink you might miss the 'Tot. act import' display.
    • Pressing A again will move to the Credit Balance display.
    • Holding A for two seconds will move to the Time display.
    • It takes 8 further short presses of A before the 'Tot. act import' display appears again.

Not so friendly; looking forward the the time when I can stop sending readings!
  • Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
    Hi Schase
    Thanks, @Duppy, for pointing this out. So to update my original post, I think the meter is working as described in the 143 page manual @Marc sent me (Section 15.1, p. 101), but not as per the PP instructions ("Hold button A for two seconds and the default screen will display - the total units of kWh. For additional data screens, press A again").

• ​The default display is 'Tot. act import' in kWh, the reading we would send in. However, this is displayed without the backlight, so is very difficult to read without shining a torch on the meter.
    • As soon as you press the A button, the backlight comes on, but immediately switches to the All Segment Display (garbage); if you blink you might miss the 'Tot. act import' display.
    • Pressing A again will move to the Credit Balance display.
    • Holding A for two seconds will move to the Time display.
    • It takes 8 further short presses of A before the 'Tot. act import' display appears again.

Not so friendly; looking forward the the time when I can stop sending readings!