• Schools and climate change

Hi Guys, I couldn't believe my ears wheny 13 year old and told me about her homework.

Her teacher has asked the class to show the two side arguments of climate change....

Does this teacher not realise how irresponsible it is to even suggest that climate change is not a thing. As far as I can see the only two things about it are people who want to help the planet and Pepe who hide their heads in the sand and hope it goes away.

How is there going to be any hope of they are suggesting climate change is not a real thing???
  • Hi Guys, I couldn't believe my ears wheny 13 year old and told me about her homework.

Her teacher has asked the class to show the two side arguments of climate change....

Does this teacher not realise how irresponsible it is to even suggest that climate change is not a thing. As far as I can see the only two things about it are people who want to help the planet and Pepe who hide their heads in the sand and hope it goes away.

How is there going to be any hope of they are suggesting climate change is not a real thing???
  • Perhaps someone could ask the teacher what the positives (of saying it isn't a thing) are...
    When you find out let us know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Padstar View Post
    Hi Guys, I couldn't believe my ears wheny 13 year old and told me about her homework.

• Perhaps someone could ask the teacher what the positives (of saying it isn't a thing) are...
    Quote Originally Posted by Padstar View Post

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Perhaps someone could ask the teacher what the positives (of saying it isn't a thing) are...
    My daughter is refusing to acknowledge that climate change isn't a thing and is building an incredible amount of evidence to argue any question out forward against climate change being real.

You have no idea how angry she was that Trump said it wasn't important and should be low on their priorities.
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Perhaps someone could ask the teacher what the positives (of saying it isn't a thing) are...
    My daughter is refusing to acknowledge that climate change isn't a thing and is building an incredible amount of evidence to argue any question out forward against climate change being real.

You have no idea how angry she was that Trump said it wasn't important and should be low on their priorities.
  • Perhaps it's not about the subject matter, but to encourage pupils to think about both sides of an argument, balance things out and work out what they believe is correct. I have no problem with this (probably wouldn't have chosen climate change as a topic though)
  • Perhaps it's not about the subject matter, but to encourage pupils to think about both sides of an argument, balance things out and work out what they believe is correct. I have no problem with this (probably wouldn't have chosen climate change as a topic though)
  • ... should have had Brexit as the subject matter...
  • ... should have had Brexit as the subject matter...
  • Hmmmm i can see the teachers point to teach a balanced view point.

Some might argue that climate change is a natural occurrence hence previous ice age periods in history and that the human species has simply accelerated the process of global warming/cooling.

The reality is that humans are the most destructive lifeform on this little planet earth due to having no natural predator, unless you count nature itself which currently is a growing force that threatens our very existance as a species.
    So we have a morol obligation to put right what we have got wrong in a last attempt to preserve the long term servival of the race. Only problem the technology genie is out of the bottle so we need to advance our knowledge and create better ways of living life.
  • Hmmmm i can see the teachers point to teach a balanced view point.

Some might argue that climate change is a natural occurrence hence previous ice age periods in history and that the human species has simply accelerated the process of global warming/cooling.

The reality is that humans are the most destructive lifeform on this little planet earth due to having no natural predator, unless you count nature itself which currently is a growing force that threatens our very existance as a species.
    So we have a morol obligation to put right what we have got wrong in a last attempt to preserve the long term servival of the race. Only problem the technology genie is out of the bottle so we need to advance our knowledge and create better ways of living life.
  • For me, and I wasn’t present in the class, I think it was a good move from the teacher in question to use such a topical subject (albeit probably one sided) to stimulate students thinking & learning. If the teacher was, worth their salt, they would take a neutral position and motivate debate amongst the class. It will encourage those students who acknowledge climate deterioration to delve deeper and research avenues that they are unfamiliar with. Also, those students, and there may be a small number who reject climate deterioration, will have to defend their position and maybe change their stance when confronted by their peers arguments. It’s all about the atmosphere in the classroom where students feel safe to speak their minds.

​Regards
  • For me, and I wasn’t present in the class, I think it was a good move from the teacher in question to use such a topical subject (albeit probably one sided) to stimulate students thinking & learning. If the teacher was, worth their salt, they would take a neutral position and motivate debate amongst the class. It will encourage those students who acknowledge climate deterioration to delve deeper and research avenues that they are unfamiliar with. Also, those students, and there may be a small number who reject climate deterioration, will have to defend their position and maybe change their stance when confronted by their peers arguments. It’s all about the atmosphere in the classroom where students feel safe to speak their minds.

​Regards
  • What exactly was the question, as the 'two side arguments' of climate change could be read as the 'positives' and 'negatives' of 'Climate Change.'
  • What exactly was the question, as the 'two side arguments' of climate change could be read as the 'positives' and 'negatives' of 'Climate Change.'
  • Maybe it was a philosophy class, in which case ambiguity is mandatory.
    If nothing else the question has had the effect of firing up the parents...so win-win...
  • Maybe it was a philosophy class, in which case ambiguity is mandatory.
    If nothing else the question has had the effect of firing up the parents...so win-win...
  • Quote Originally Posted by Padstar View Post

Perhaps her teacher is also trying to teach the cildren to research and investigate for themselves. The way I have interpreted what you have said they were asked to do is to get them merely to show the arguments that each side presents, not to actually argue or back up the case for each. Apologies if I have misunderstood.

Nanny O

Perhaps her teacher is also trying to teach the cildren to research and investigate for themselves. The way I have interpreted what you have said they were asked to do is to get them merely to show the arguments that each side presents, not to actually argue or back up the case for each. Apologies if I have misunderstood.

Nanny O
  • Sorry, my point was that I believe this is completely the wrong subject to choose for finding out two sides (is climate change real or not) and is irresponsible for the survival of the planet.
  • Sorry, my point was that I believe this is completely the wrong subject to choose for finding out two sides (is climate change real or not) and is irresponsible for the survival of the planet.
    Hey @Padstar

Did you daughter's class have a debate about the topic, following their homework?

It'd be interesting to know what was concluded, and if it was a helpful lesson (or not) in the end! Especially since it appears your daughter will have put forward some great arguments
    • The first snow of winter arrives! ⛄ Have you had snow yet?
    • Wondering how to keep Christmas eco-friendly? We're sharing our top tips💚🎅​​​​​​​
    • Enter your photos in November's photo challenge - Illuminations​​​​​​​
    • How much do you know about renewable energy?🤔​​​​​​​ Find out in our quiz!
    Hey @Padstar

Did you daughter's class have a debate about the topic, following their homework?

It'd be interesting to know what was concluded, and if it was a helpful lesson (or not) in the end! Especially since it appears your daughter will have put forward some great arguments
    • The first snow of winter arrives! ⛄ Have you had snow yet?
    • Wondering how to keep Christmas eco-friendly? We're sharing our top tips💚🎅​​​​​​​
    • Enter your photos in November's photo challenge - Illuminations​​​​​​​
    • How much do you know about renewable energy?🤔​​​​​​​ Find out in our quiz!