• Pure Planet Community highlights and points leaderboard for September 2019

Hi everyone

Welcome to the September 2019 edition of the monthly Pure Planet Community highlights and points!

Yes, Autumn is here again.

It’s been another massive month for our community with lots of exciting news and updates. In September we reached 25,000 members in the community! Yay us

Last month we launched our Zero Hero campaign. We want to celebrate all the ways you guys are helping to protect the planet.

We’ve all read some doom and gloom about climate change in the news recently. We think there’s a lot for us to be positive about, too.

The UK energy grid is already around 33% renewable electricity and growing - there are reasons to be optimistic.

Meet Natalie King who’s a Zero Hero for choose fresh food which doesn’t come wrapped in plastic. And Vivian Lee who’s ditched single use coffee cups.

If you’ve got any sustainability tips to share check out this thread.

As the nights draw in, the gardeners among us have (hopefully!) been busy getting ready for winter. @Oakbank and @Ange and @Jon1 and @Bev have been sharing their stories from the summer - with several bumper crops reported!

The falling temperatures did trigger the age-old debate, an argument which may never be settled - when do you turn the heating on?!

At least the colder weather means that @Ange won’t be bitten by so many ticks - nice one to those who helped out with good advice on the best skin cream protection.

Our very own celebrity chef @Bev continued to create wonders in her kitchen, sharing recipes for vegan Chinese kebabs and celeriac & beansprout soup and even a pickled Marmite medley last month. Maybe her vegetarian delights inspired @woz to create a new poll on whether you would consider becoming veggie or vegan.

We like to keep politics out of the community, but if you’ve been moved to change your allegiances recently, this poll by @woz will be of interest.
    Unlike the current political scene, we’ve been enjoying the Rugby World Cup without taking too much offence when other teams win. Will @David j and @Nataly maintain their decorum once we reach the knockout stages though?! We’ll see!

Here at Pure Planet HQ we updated the app to version 7.31.0 with some new features and several bug fixes. It included a fix for the iPad issue where one side of the screen was being ‘trimmed’ and missing.

And we’ve fixed a bug with the Membership Fee which meant some members were overcharged or undercharged. Members affected will have received an email outlining what happened, but there’s more detail in this post.

Also in September we were chuffed to learn that we’d been shortlisted by the Sunday Times in its annual ‘one to watch’ list of tech companies.

In the world of smart meters, our team are still working hard to fix some IHD issues where usage isn’t appearing. There’ll be an update posted here in the community soon.

We’re really disappointed that the adoption of 1st generation of smart meters onto the 2nd generation network has been delayed until next summer.

Thanks to members who gave us feedback that there wasn’t enough information in our FAQs section about Magnum Utilities, our smart meter installer. So we’ve written a new FAQ explaining who Magnum are, what their engineers wear, and the vans they drive.

A lot of suggestions are made in the community’s ideas board section. It's a place for community members to suggest new ideas that you think Pure Planet should do. Right now it’s by invite only, so if you'd like to take part, just send me a message and I'll add you.

The winner of the September photo challenge, Favourite Summer Photos, was @UncleScooby with this stunning pic of a French vineyard and property which doubles as the world’s most picturesque EV charging station (probably).

We’re wondering if it’ll finally persuade @Jowl to fork out for a Tesla, who in September was our featured community member in the ‘spotlight’.

The October photo theme is ‘Autumn scenes’ so we’re really looking forward to seeing some of your seasonal pics.

And, finally, why @woz likes lead underpants, revealed. We’ll say no more….

Looking ahead to October 2019

Remember that we’re now in the colder months of the year, which means Direct Debits are higher.

Here in the community, some of our eagle-eyed members will have spotted that if you’re in the smart meters section and creating a new post, we’ll show you some suggested existing posts and FAQs. We’re testing this out to see if it helps people find answers which already exist.

There’s also an app update due for next week. It’ll have a new way of registering your interest in smart meters, and for us to check your home’s eligibility online and in the app. Of course once the updated version of the app hits the app stores will post all the details right here in the community.

Pure Planet Community rewards for September 2019

As you know, each month we say thanks to those who contribute to our community by asking and answering questions and participating in discussions on all things related to Pure Planet and renewable energy, and just generally keeping the community safe and fun.

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 313
Size:  636.9 KB

Here's a link to how the Pure Planet community points work which includes how much points are worth, guidance on how to earn points (without giving away our top secret formula!) and when you’ll be able to redeem your points.

So a big thank you to all of you wonderful members who have contributed.

Band One - 1,500 points: @woz @Duppy @stephenrand @Bev @Jon1 @Angelabikerbabe @Gray4276

Band Two - 1,000 points: @X Driver @Gwyndy @Oakbank @Scubaseahorse @schase @Jowl @ChrisH @David j @25 quid @MrSmart

Band Three - 500 points: @Bantam @UncleScooby @ahmedhas @Erika123 @Pigsy10 @NannyOgg @DRC @Ange @timpin @beastarman @Gasconsumer @Gabolino @JimmyG @tinker69 @Strutt G @Bentley @vicci @margewalker33 @Wendos @Kath77

Band Four - 200 points: @Philippa @CindyLouDale12 @Stingy7 @JuGreen @Radders @AndyL @Endikebks @Nora @sdavey1 @Stanchev @Rpb @Zxs @pixieface @Richi @KeithW74 @Savo83 @Nizz @Flashfish61 @Joyful @georginabutcher @Stephen Carter @neilball @Camelia @wjackson48

Band Five - 100 points: @PMichele @Lynn Massey @GeorgeRB91 @JennyR68 @Facherty @rpezza @Jon K @Wheelgrinder @RJ99 @alyshunter @DutchCaerleon @Phil Backhouse @godedd @Spapaws @Rovert @Sandraedwards16 @barbaraj @SammiF @David Nelson @Ruthlynn @Jenifertree @Kedar2014 @Chestnut15 @Arturs @G4RHL @Lizum

That’s it for the September 2019 community highlights round-up. Thanks for checking it out!
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Hi everyone

Welcome to the September 2019 edition of the monthly Pure Planet Community highlights and points!

Yes, Autumn is here again.

It’s been another massive month for our community with lots of exciting news and updates. In September we reached 25,000 members in the community! Yay us

Last month we launched our Zero Hero campaign. We want to celebrate all the ways you guys are helping to protect the planet.

We’ve all read some doom and gloom about climate change in the news recently. We think there’s a lot for us to be positive about, too.

The UK energy grid is already around 33% renewable electricity and growing - there are reasons to be optimistic.

Meet Natalie King who’s a Zero Hero for choose fresh food which doesn’t come wrapped in plastic. And Vivian Lee who’s ditched single use coffee cups.

If you’ve got any sustainability tips to share check out this thread.

As the nights draw in, the gardeners among us have (hopefully!) been busy getting ready for winter. @Oakbank and @Ange and @Jon1 and @Bev have been sharing their stories from the summer - with several bumper crops reported!

The falling temperatures did trigger the age-old debate, an argument which may never be settled - when do you turn the heating on?!

At least the colder weather means that @Ange won’t be bitten by so many ticks - nice one to those who helped out with good advice on the best skin cream protection.

Our very own celebrity chef @Bev continued to create wonders in her kitchen, sharing recipes for vegan Chinese kebabs and celeriac & beansprout soup and even a pickled Marmite medley last month. Maybe her vegetarian delights inspired @woz to create a new poll on whether you would consider becoming veggie or vegan.

We like to keep politics out of the community, but if you’ve been moved to change your allegiances recently, this poll by @woz will be of interest.
    Unlike the current political scene, we’ve been enjoying the Rugby World Cup without taking too much offence when other teams win. Will @David j and @Nataly maintain their decorum once we reach the knockout stages though?! We’ll see!

Here at Pure Planet HQ we updated the app to version 7.31.0 with some new features and several bug fixes. It included a fix for the iPad issue where one side of the screen was being ‘trimmed’ and missing.

And we’ve fixed a bug with the Membership Fee which meant some members were overcharged or undercharged. Members affected will have received an email outlining what happened, but there’s more detail in this post.

Also in September we were chuffed to learn that we’d been shortlisted by the Sunday Times in its annual ‘one to watch’ list of tech companies.

In the world of smart meters, our team are still working hard to fix some IHD issues where usage isn’t appearing. There’ll be an update posted here in the community soon.

We’re really disappointed that the adoption of 1st generation of smart meters onto the 2nd generation network has been delayed until next summer.

Thanks to members who gave us feedback that there wasn’t enough information in our FAQs section about Magnum Utilities, our smart meter installer. So we’ve written a new FAQ explaining who Magnum are, what their engineers wear, and the vans they drive.

A lot of suggestions are made in the community’s ideas board section. It's a place for community members to suggest new ideas that you think Pure Planet should do. Right now it’s by invite only, so if you'd like to take part, just send me a message and I'll add you.

The winner of the September photo challenge, Favourite Summer Photos, was @UncleScooby with this stunning pic of a French vineyard and property which doubles as the world’s most picturesque EV charging station (probably).

We’re wondering if it’ll finally persuade @Jowl to fork out for a Tesla, who in September was our featured community member in the ‘spotlight’.

The October photo theme is ‘Autumn scenes’ so we’re really looking forward to seeing some of your seasonal pics.

And, finally, why @woz likes lead underpants, revealed. We’ll say no more….

Looking ahead to October 2019

Remember that we’re now in the colder months of the year, which means Direct Debits are higher.

Here in the community, some of our eagle-eyed members will have spotted that if you’re in the smart meters section and creating a new post, we’ll show you some suggested existing posts and FAQs. We’re testing this out to see if it helps people find answers which already exist.

There’s also an app update due for next week. It’ll have a new way of registering your interest in smart meters, and for us to check your home’s eligibility online and in the app. Of course once the updated version of the app hits the app stores will post all the details right here in the community.

Pure Planet Community rewards for September 2019

As you know, each month we say thanks to those who contribute to our community by asking and answering questions and participating in discussions on all things related to Pure Planet and renewable energy, and just generally keeping the community safe and fun.

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 313
Size:  636.9 KB

Here's a link to how the Pure Planet community points work which includes how much points are worth, guidance on how to earn points (without giving away our top secret formula!) and when you’ll be able to redeem your points.

So a big thank you to all of you wonderful members who have contributed.

Band One - 1,500 points: @woz @Duppy @stephenrand @Bev @Jon1 @Angelabikerbabe @Gray4276

Band Two - 1,000 points: @X Driver @Gwyndy @Oakbank @Scubaseahorse @schase @Jowl @ChrisH @David j @25 quid @MrSmart

Band Three - 500 points: @Bantam @UncleScooby @ahmedhas @Erika123 @Pigsy10 @NannyOgg @DRC @Ange @timpin @beastarman @Gasconsumer @Gabolino @JimmyG @tinker69 @Strutt G @Bentley @vicci @margewalker33 @Wendos @Kath77

Band Four - 200 points: @Philippa @CindyLouDale12 @Stingy7 @JuGreen @Radders @AndyL @Endikebks @Nora @sdavey1 @Stanchev @Rpb @Zxs @pixieface @Richi @KeithW74 @Savo83 @Nizz @Flashfish61 @Joyful @georginabutcher @Stephen Carter @neilball @Camelia @wjackson48

Band Five - 100 points: @PMichele @Lynn Massey @GeorgeRB91 @JennyR68 @Facherty @rpezza @Jon K @Wheelgrinder @RJ99 @alyshunter @DutchCaerleon @Phil Backhouse @godedd @Spapaws @Rovert @Sandraedwards16 @barbaraj @SammiF @David Nelson @Ruthlynn @Jenifertree @Kedar2014 @Chestnut15 @Arturs @G4RHL @Lizum

That’s it for the September 2019 community highlights round-up. Thanks for checking it out!

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Awesome as ever 👍👏👏👏, smashing read! Love it!
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Awesome as ever 👍👏👏👏, smashing read! Love it!

WALT WHITMAN
  • Thanks @Marc
    Always look forward to reading all the latest happenings. 👍👍👍
    Keep up the good work. You and @Nataly do a great job at keeping us all up-to-date
  • Thanks @Marc
    Always look forward to reading all the latest happenings. 👍👍👍
    Keep up the good work. You and @Nataly do a great job at keeping us all up-to-date
  • Another great monthly review packed with info and great links.......

Well done guys (and dolls).........and well done to the Community Forum members that are regular contributors 👌🖖🙌👍
    Gray4276
  • Another great monthly review packed with info and great links.......

Well done guys (and dolls).........and well done to the Community Forum members that are regular contributors 👌🖖🙌👍
    Gray4276
  • Excellent round-up again Marc 👍👍👍
  • Excellent round-up again Marc 👍👍👍
  • Nice one
    ​My lead underpants are still working...
  • Nice one
    ​My lead underpants are still working...
  • Excellent roundup- I agree, Nataly and I might develop into different creatures as the World Cup progresses- particularly if Wales encounter England) 😂😂
  • Excellent roundup- I agree, Nataly and I might develop into different creatures as the World Cup progresses- particularly if Wales encounter England) 😂😂
  • 25,000! Amazing, I think I was actually part of the first 25 to join... time flies!
  • 25,000! Amazing, I think I was actually part of the first 25 to join... time flies!
  • Good summery as always. Over 25k and growing.
    Hey gab do we not have member numbers im 4291 or am i just making assumptions.
  • Good summery as always. Over 25k and growing.
  • You're the 4291st profile created on the Forum Jon,
    Not quite the same thing as the 4291st to join as the lowest numbers are normally allocated to the system administrators setting up the database. I guess only Marc or Nataly could confirm that.

Code:
    https://community.purepla.net/members/4291-Jon1
    I'm way behind you
    Code:
    https://community.purepla.net/members/24749-Gwyndy
    Profile "1" is owned by "MPUKOps"
    Code:
    https://community.purepla.net/members/1
    Putting code brackets in on a phone keyboard is a right pain in the posterior.

Mark
    Last edited by Gwyndy; 06-10-19 at 10:11.
  • You're the 4291st profile created on the Forum Jon,
    Not quite the same thing as the 4291st to join as the lowest numbers are normally allocated to the system administrators setting up the database. I guess only Marc or Nataly could confirm that.

Code:
    https://community.purepla.net/members/4291-Jon1
    I'm way behind you
    Code:
    https://community.purepla.net/members/24749-Gwyndy
    Profile "1" is owned by "MPUKOps"
    Code:
    https://community.purepla.net/members/1
    Putting code brackets in on a phone keyboard is a right pain in the posterior.

Mark
  • hi jon1
    Not all numbers are populated by the way, and the info is worryingly accessible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Good summery as always. Over 25k and growing.
    Last edited by woz; 06-10-19 at 13:15.
  • hi jon1
    Not all numbers are populated by the way, and the info is worryingly accessible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Good summery as always. Over 25k and growing.
  • Any forum you are a member of, will have a numbered list of members like that, it's just the database's way of keeping things tidy.

It tells anyone visiting nothing more than if they looked up your profile by clicking on your username in a post.

I've been a Moderator, SuperModerator, and Admin at a Forum for 9 years now.

Even at the 'back end' of the system, I only have access to two pieces of information that can't be seen by anyone else.

1: The IP address you used when signing up, which in the days of DHCP and VPNs, means nothing.

2: A censored version of the member's registered email address, which we can use to contact someone if we think their account's been hacked.

I'm not saying Pure Planet has access to the same things,but, even assuming the did, it's not going to mean much to a hacker.
    Last edited by Gwyndy; 06-10-19 at 13:48.
  • Any forum you are a member of, will have a numbered list of members like that, it's just the database's way of keeping things tidy.

It tells anyone visiting nothing more than if they looked up your profile by clicking on your username in a post.

Even at the 'back end' of the system, I only have access to two pieces of information that can't be seen by anyone else.

1: The IP address you used when signing up, which in the days of DHCP and VPNs, means nothing.

2: A censored version of the member's registered email address, which we can use to contact someone if we think their account's been hacked.

I'm not saying Pure Planet has access to the same things,but, even assuming the did, it's not going to mean much to a hacker.
  • Thanks, I was clumsily referring to the amount of information parse-able just by looking at the list of profiles, the point being that by mere iterative incrementation of a number the entire database can be looked at (where that number is linked to a profile-as said not all are). Just a bit easier than alphabetical typing into the DM send to, which eventually would give a list of profile names.
    It need not be like that. It's too easy. (I take your point, but not all use psedonyms)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyndy View Post
    Any forum you are a member of, will have a numbered list of members like that, it's just the database's way of keeping things tidy.

• Thanks, I was clumsily referring to the amount of information parse-able just by looking at the list of profiles, the point being that by mere iterative incrementation of a number the entire database can be looked at (where that number is linked to a profile-as said not all are). Just a bit easier than alphabetical typing into the DM send to, which eventually would give a list of profile names.
    It need not be like that. It's too easy. (I take your point, but not all use psedonyms)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyndy View Post
    Any forum you are a member of, will have a numbered list of members like that, it's just the database's way of keeping things tidy.

• English people english. Some of us gave up computer talk when we could not get the spectrum to work properly.
    My assumption is that it relates to the number of community members only as the acct platform is a differamt entity completely.
  • English people english. Some of us gave up computer talk when we could not get the spectrum to work properly.
    My assumption is that it relates to the number of community members only as the acct platform is a differamt entity completely.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    English people english. Some of us gave up computer talk when we could not get the spectrum to work properly.
    I bet it was the ZX Spectrum @Jon1
    I had the ZX 2 (complete with built in cassette player!)

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
    English people english. Some of us gave up computer talk when we could not get the spectrum to work properly.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Thats the one, i do remember the massive plug in memory thingy that would fall off if you so much as looked at it. And yes a tape player 9 times from 10 loading would crash when you turned the tape over. Them were the days.
    Kids today have no idea the hell we put up with.
  • Thats the one, i do remember the massive plug in memory thingy that would fall off if you so much as looked at it. And yes a tape player 9 times from 10 loading would crash when you turned the tape over. Them were the days.
    ​Spot on 👍😂. I can seriously still remember the smell of the rubbery keys when taking it out the box Christmas morning! 😂😂😂😂😂

WALT WHITMAN
    ​Spot on 👍😂. I can seriously still remember the smell of the rubbery keys when taking it out the box Christmas morning! 😂😂😂😂😂

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I bought the Amstrad built one (was that the ZX2?) - it's big 'selling point' was it came with a light gun.

My friend had the rubber keyed one.

We loved them so much, that during the late 80s/early 90s (It was about the time some company in Wales was creating a 'new' Spectrum), we bought one at a car boot sale with a load of games, and spent the cold winter nights playing our way through the 'Dizzy' series.

'The ravenous rat eats the loaf, and runs away'

They don't make 'em like they used to.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I bought the Amstrad built one (was that the ZX2?) - it's big 'selling point' was it came with a light gun.

We loved them so much, that during the late 80s/early 90s (It was about the time some company in Wales was creating a 'new' Spectrum), we bought one at a car boot sale with a load of games, and spent the cold winter nights playing our way through the 'Dizzy' series.

• For those who are interested the Welsh Company was called "Miles Gordon Technology" and the "New Spectrum" was the "Sam Coupe'", damn shame they went under.
  • For those who are interested the Welsh Company was called "Miles Gordon Technology" and the "New Spectrum" was the "Sam Coupe'", damn shame they went under.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Gwyndy View Post

Light gun? LIGHT GUN?! I never had a light gun
    I'm crestfallen....
    And to think of all the hours I spent playing Kung-Fu Master

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Quote Originally Posted by Gwyndy View Post

Light gun? LIGHT GUN?! I never had a light gun
    I'm crestfallen....
    And to think of all the hours I spent playing Kung-Fu Master

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​