• Vivian Lee, our Zero Hero who’s made small changes to how she washes her clothes and drinks coffee

Name:  Pure Planet Zero Hero Vivian Lee.png
Views: 102
Size:  647.0 KB

Vivian Lee loves her coffee. The 32-year-old likes to treat herself to each day to a takeaway flat white.

But after racking up a lot of takeaway cups Vivian made a simple switch to using a reusable coffee cup.

Vivian, who works as a pricing and forecasting analyst at Pure Planet, decided to go for a collapsible cup so that it fits easily into her bag and doesn’t become a hassle to carry about.

She said: “I’ve got my coffee cup in my bag wherever I go, and it takes up hardly any space and it’s really light. I’m not the sort of person who goes to a coffee shop every day, so I wanted the collapsable cup as they’re really small when you’re not using it.

“I also prepare my lunch in a plastic lunch box which fits in my bag. We like to eat out now and then and I never manage to finish my meal, so I ask for them to use my lunchbox instead of a doggy bag as that often comes with plastic packaging.

The other small change Vivian’s made is how she washes her clothes. Instead of using mainstream plastic-wrapped washing tablets and plastic bottles of fabric softener, she uses a product called the Eco Egg.

The Eco Egg uses mineral pellets encased in a recyclable ‘egg’ which goes inside the washing machine drum.

“You buy the Eco Egg once and then and order extra pellets when you run out,” Vivian said.

“I find that it washes my clothes just as well. It doesn’t have the same soapy smell as washing powder or fabric conditioner. There are a few scents you can choose from.

“I was using bottles and bottles of fabric conditioner, and the washing tablets were all wrapped in plastic too. So this small change means I’m using much less plastic than before, and it’s no big deal at all.”

Zero Hero is about finding and supporting greener choices that are easier and cheaper than their polluting alternatives.

But we need your help too. Tell us about a Zero Hero you know, a green event or initiative you’re part of or a Zero Hero product or service you use. We’ll share the best ideas.

If this sounds like you, then send me a message here in the community and tell us what you’re doing. Or just post in the replies below!
    Last edited by Marc; 30-09-19 at 13:12.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Name:  Pure Planet Zero Hero Vivian Lee.png
Views: 102
Size:  647.0 KB

Vivian Lee loves her coffee. The 32-year-old likes to treat herself to each day to a takeaway flat white.

But after racking up a lot of takeaway cups Vivian made a simple switch to using a reusable coffee cup.

Vivian, who works as a pricing and forecasting analyst at Pure Planet, decided to go for a collapsible cup so that it fits easily into her bag and doesn’t become a hassle to carry about.

She said: “I’ve got my coffee cup in my bag wherever I go, and it takes up hardly any space and it’s really light. I’m not the sort of person who goes to a coffee shop every day, so I wanted the collapsable cup as they’re really small when you’re not using it.

“I also prepare my lunch in a plastic lunch box which fits in my bag. We like to eat out now and then and I never manage to finish my meal, so I ask for them to use my lunchbox instead of a doggy bag as that often comes with plastic packaging.

The other small change Vivian’s made is how she washes her clothes. Instead of using mainstream plastic-wrapped washing tablets and plastic bottles of fabric softener, she uses a product called the Eco Egg.

The Eco Egg uses mineral pellets encased in a recyclable ‘egg’ which goes inside the washing machine drum.

“You buy the Eco Egg once and then and order extra pellets when you run out,” Vivian said.

“I find that it washes my clothes just as well. It doesn’t have the same soapy smell as washing powder or fabric conditioner. There are a few scents you can choose from.

“I was using bottles and bottles of fabric conditioner, and the washing tablets were all wrapped in plastic too. So this small change means I’m using much less plastic than before, and it’s no big deal at all.”

Zero Hero is about finding and supporting greener choices that are easier and cheaper than their polluting alternatives.

But we need your help too. Tell us about a Zero Hero you know, a green event or initiative you’re part of or a Zero Hero product or service you use. We’ll share the best ideas.

If this sounds like you, then send me a message here in the community and tell us what you’re doing. Or just post in the replies below!
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Our sustainable tip of the week reminded me - another advantage to using a reusable coffee cup, is that lots of places are introducing discounts when you use one!

The ones around me offer a 10% discount What's the biggest discount you've seen for bringing a reusable cup?

Name:  sustainablecoffee.PNG
Views: 37
Size:  223.2 KB
    • The first snow of winter arrives! ⛄ Have you had snow yet?
    • Wondering how to keep Christmas eco-friendly? We're sharing our top tips💚🎅​​​​​​​
    • Enter your photos in November's photo challenge - Illuminations​​​​​​​
    • How much do you know about renewable energy?🤔​​​​​​​ Find out in our quiz!
  • Our sustainable tip of the week reminded me - another advantage to using a reusable coffee cup, is that lots of places are introducing discounts when you use one!

The ones around me offer a 10% discount What's the biggest discount you've seen for bringing a reusable cup?

• Wondering how to keep Christmas eco-friendly? We're sharing our top tips💚🎅​​​​​​​

• Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post
    Our sustainable tip of the week reminded me - another advantage to using a reusable coffee cup, is that lots of places are introducing discounts when you use one!

All good news @Nataly,

I have a Caffè Nero App/account and they will give you a "bonus" stamp for bringing your own cup/mug. When you have 9 stamps you get a free coffee (any type/any size) So that works out at around 12%.....not bad eh!

Also as I am an 02 mobile customer....with the 02 Priority App you get a free coffee at Caffè Nero on a Tues/Wed every week, and when you get your free 02/Caffè Nero drink.....you get a "bonus" stamp.
    That's a Win-Win-Win scenario.

I've just realised how much of a "tightarse" that makes me sound....Ask me "Am I bovvered"..... 😅 😎
    Gray4276

• Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post
    Our sustainable tip of the week reminded me - another advantage to using a reusable coffee cup, is that lots of places are introducing discounts when you use one!

All good news @Nataly,

I have a Caffè Nero App/account and they will give you a "bonus" stamp for bringing your own cup/mug. When you have 9 stamps you get a free coffee (any type/any size) So that works out at around 12%.....not bad eh!

Also as I am an 02 mobile customer....with the 02 Priority App you get a free coffee at Caffè Nero on a Tues/Wed every week, and when you get your free 02/Caffè Nero drink.....you get a "bonus" stamp.

I've just realised how much of a "tightarse" that makes me sound....Ask me "Am I bovvered"..... 😅 😎
    Gray4276
  • Hi Gray4276
    I don't think your a "tightarse" at all. You are merely taking advantage of the offers. Anyway I think these bonuses and offers are built into the price you are paying for the product. You'd be silly not to
  • Hi Gray4276
    I don't think your a "tightarse" at all. You are merely taking advantage of the offers. Anyway I think these bonuses and offers are built into the price you are paying for the product. You'd be silly not to
  • Hey Duppy,

Thanks for the positive vibe in your reply.......👍

I've tried to show my two kids how to "take advantage" of offers etc (I don't overtly look for deals.....I'm not a voucher hound).

I was getting worried that I was just viewed as an "old git" by my kids...........for example

1. Neither my wife nor myself have ever smoked........both my kids do.
    2. Offered to review their energy usage/payments........neither can be bothered, and they're both paying through the nose.

Maybe it's just a generational thing as I'm no longer a "yoof" 😱

Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
    Hi Gray4276
    Last edited by Gray4276; 17-10-19 at 17:59. Reason: As usual......correcting my own mistakes....hey ho
    Gray4276
  • Hey Duppy,

Thanks for the positive vibe in your reply.......👍

I've tried to show my two kids how to "take advantage" of offers etc (I don't overtly look for deals.....I'm not a voucher hound).

I was getting worried that I was just viewed as an "old git" by my kids...........for example

1. Neither my wife nor myself have ever smoked........both my kids do.
    2. Offered to review their energy usage/payments........neither can be bothered, and they're both paying through the nose.

Maybe it's just a generational thing as I'm no longer a "yoof" 😱

Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
    Hi Gray4276
    Gray4276
  • Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post

I do the same thing! Great minds eh

Love a good O2 free coffee

Last Christmas they did really good bonus 'Christmas cracker' stamps when you bought a coffee, too.
    Won a few different vouchers for 1-3 free coffees. Hopefully they do it again this year!
  • Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post

I do the same thing! Great minds eh

Love a good O2 free coffee

Last Christmas they did really good bonus 'Christmas cracker' stamps when you bought a coffee, too.
    Won a few different vouchers for 1-3 free coffees. Hopefully they do it again this year!