• Just switched and Final bill from Eon is an Estimate even though I have their Smart Meter

Hi I've received my final bill from EON and it was an estimate but I don't understand why because the Smart Meter is still there and they take a reading each day.

I was unable to take a final reading on the switch day as I wasn't at home and then realized when i was at home i didn't know how to read the meter any more as it does not automatically display the number.

I'm not sure how you do meter readings going forward will you be able to read the smart reader or will a new one have to be fitted. If a new one needs to be fitted can you advise is this something you would arrange and is there a cost involved?

Regards

Christine
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Hi I've received my final bill from EON and it was an estimate but I don't understand why because the Smart Meter is still there and they take a reading each day.

I was unable to take a final reading on the switch day as I wasn't at home and then realized when i was at home i didn't know how to read the meter any more as it does not automatically display the number.

I'm not sure how you do meter readings going forward will you be able to read the smart reader or will a new one have to be fitted. If a new one needs to be fitted can you advise is this something you would arrange and is there a cost involved?

Regards

Christine
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

hi cpullman
    When you switch you give your opening readings to PP then a process occurs where both companies agree the readings, that can take up to 6 weeks but is usually quicker.
    Your smart meter will become dumb when you switch and it's going to be a while before it's updated or changed so you will have to provide readings, but fret not it's easy to do. (Also even those who have had smart meters fitted by PP are still being asked to provide readings because the technology isn't working properly yet)
    Also just to clarify you need to read the ACTUAL meter NOT the in-home display.
    You need to press abutton to wake up the screen, usually it's 9 or 6 or A or B
    On the electric meter you're looking for tot.imp kWh, on the gas meter volume or index and that will be m3 (or cubic metres)
    If you're on Economy 7 it's a bit more complicated to read.
    Have a play and post back? You can't do any harm..
    Register your interest for a Smart Meter HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by cpullman View Post
    Hi I've received my final bill from EON and it was an estimate but I don't understand why because the Smart Meter is still there and they take a reading each day.

Regards

Christine
  • hi cpullman
    When you switch you give your opening readings to PP then a process occurs where both companies agree the readings, that can take up to 6 weeks but is usually quicker.
    Your smart meter will become dumb when you switch and it's going to be a while before it's updated or changed so you will have to provide readings, but fret not it's easy to do. (Also even those who have had smart meters fitted by PP are still being asked to provide readings because the technology isn't working properly yet)
    Also just to clarify you need to read the ACTUAL meter NOT the in-home display.
    You need to press abutton to wake up the screen, usually it's 9 or 6 or A or B
    On the electric meter you're looking for tot.imp kWh, on the gas meter volume or index and that will be m3 (or cubic metres)
    If you're on Economy 7 it's a bit more complicated to read.
    Have a play and post back? You can't do any harm..
    Register your interest for a Smart Meter HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by cpullman View Post

Regards

Christine