• Why we’re disappointed at decision to delay adoption of 1st generation smart meters

Hi everyone

Energy suppliers have been given an update to the adoption of 1st generation smart meters to the upgraded 2nd generation network, and we want to share this with our Members here in the community.

We’ve been told by the Data and Communications Company (an Ofgem-regulated body appointed to run the country’s network of smart meters) that 1st generation models, known as SMETS1, will not be upgraded until summer 2020.

Right now we’re piloting installing 2nd generation smart meters - known as SMETS2 - for Pure Planet members.

SMETS2 smart meters are the type that stay smart regardless of which supplier installs them, meaning you’re free to switch and your meter will stay smart. They’re also on an improved data network.

1st generation smart meters - known as SMETS1 - have historically only worked with the supplier which installs them.

Like many of our Members, we’ve been looking forward to SMETS1 meters being upgraded to work with the DCC’s network, so they become smart again and we can offer many more Pure Planet Members a better experience.

The DCC is in charge of when SMETS1 meters are ‘adopted’ onto its network. They’ve previously told us the work would start in the autumn of this year (2019).

But now the DCC has told all energy suppliers that there will be a delay, with most SMETS1 meters not starting to be upgraded until August 2020.

Here are the latest estimates from the DCC:
    • Models: Itron and Aclara - due to start in late July 2019. So far just over 100 have been adopted and the DCC has said this will be slowed down and monitored.
    • Models: Secure and Elster - due to start in September 2019, delayed until June 2020.
    • Models: L&G and EDMI - due to start in December 2019, delayed until August 2020.

We’re really disappointed, and we know our Members with SMETS1 meters will be disappointed too.

About 15,000 of our Members, with about 25,000 electricity and gas meters, are affected by this delay.

We’re seeking an explanation from the DCC, as well as assurances there won’t be more delays, but ultimately we, like all suppliers, are at their mercy.

As we digest this news we’re also considering our options for Pure Planet Members with SMETS1. One option we’re investigating is offering SMETS2 meters to Members with SMETS1.

Right now anyone with SMETS1 is excluded from our SMETS2 installs, as we’d expected them to start becoming smart again by now.
    Ripping SMETS1 meters off walls does have implications around costs and waste, too.

And we’d also like to be seeing fewer connectivity issues in our SMETS2 pilot before installing more. You may have also heard in the news recently that the whole smart programme has a new deadline - 2024 - for all homes to have SMETS2 meters offered to them.

So it’s not just SMETS1 that has had issues.

We’re going to look at all the options in more detail, and we’ll be updating our Members about this soon.

That’s it for now. Any questions? Let’s chat about them in the replies below.
    Last edited by Marc; 14-10-19 at 11:41. Reason: Removing link to web interest form
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Hi everyone

Energy suppliers have been given an update to the adoption of 1st generation smart meters to the upgraded 2nd generation network, and we want to share this with our Members here in the community.

We’ve been told by the Data and Communications Company (an Ofgem-regulated body appointed to run the country’s network of smart meters) that 1st generation models, known as SMETS1, will not be upgraded until summer 2020.

Right now we’re piloting installing 2nd generation smart meters - known as SMETS2 - for Pure Planet members.

SMETS2 smart meters are the type that stay smart regardless of which supplier installs them, meaning you’re free to switch and your meter will stay smart. They’re also on an improved data network.

1st generation smart meters - known as SMETS1 - have historically only worked with the supplier which installs them.

Like many of our Members, we’ve been looking forward to SMETS1 meters being upgraded to work with the DCC’s network, so they become smart again and we can offer many more Pure Planet Members a better experience.

The DCC is in charge of when SMETS1 meters are ‘adopted’ onto its network. They’ve previously told us the work would start in the autumn of this year (2019).

But now the DCC has told all energy suppliers that there will be a delay, with most SMETS1 meters not starting to be upgraded until August 2020.

Here are the latest estimates from the DCC:
    • Models: Itron and Aclara - due to start in late July 2019. So far just over 100 have been adopted and the DCC has said this will be slowed down and monitored.
    • Models: Secure and Elster - due to start in September 2019, delayed until June 2020.
    • Models: L&G and EDMI - due to start in December 2019, delayed until August 2020.

We’re really disappointed, and we know our Members with SMETS1 meters will be disappointed too.

About 15,000 of our Members, with about 25,000 electricity and gas meters, are affected by this delay.

We’re seeking an explanation from the DCC, as well as assurances there won’t be more delays, but ultimately we, like all suppliers, are at their mercy.

As we digest this news we’re also considering our options for Pure Planet Members with SMETS1. One option we’re investigating is offering SMETS2 meters to Members with SMETS1.

Right now anyone with SMETS1 is excluded from our SMETS2 installs, as we’d expected them to start becoming smart again by now.
    Ripping SMETS1 meters off walls does have implications around costs and waste, too.

And we’d also like to be seeing fewer connectivity issues in our SMETS2 pilot before installing more. You may have also heard in the news recently that the whole smart programme has a new deadline - 2024 - for all homes to have SMETS2 meters offered to them.

So it’s not just SMETS1 that has had issues.

We’re going to look at all the options in more detail, and we’ll be updating our Members about this soon.

That’s it for now. Any questions? Let’s chat about them in the replies below.

• Who needs a Smart meter ?
    Supply readings on request-no problems.
    Control and plan usage ie: meal to include cooking energy not just food, during winter isolate rooms not required - extra layer of cloths -set temp/time, low energy lighting.
    I thought the idea of Smart meter was so 'time of day metering ' could be introduced - reduce peaks in 'generation and supply' thus reduce costs. This appears to be forgoten about ?
  • Who needs a Smart meter ?
    Control and plan usage ie: meal to include cooking energy not just food, during winter isolate rooms not required - extra layer of cloths -set temp/time, low energy lighting.
    I thought the idea of Smart meter was so 'time of day metering ' could be introduced - reduce peaks in 'generation and supply' thus reduce costs. This appears to be forgoten about ?

• This is shocking. Delay after delay. The cost of this is being paid for by all energy customers.
  • This is shocking. Delay after delay. The cost of this is being paid for by all energy customers.

• Quote Originally Posted by rpezza View Post
    Who needs a Smart meter ?

I do, my wife's hospital bed blocks access to both my current SMETS1 Smart Meter, and my Fusebox, it's a right pain in the arse having to move the bedroom around once a week just so I can get to the meter.

• Quote Originally Posted by rpezza View Post
    Who needs a Smart meter ?

I do, my wife's hospital bed blocks access to both my current SMETS1 Smart Meter, and my Fusebox, it's a right pain in the arse having to move the bedroom around once a week just so I can get to the meter.

• And here we are - 21 months later, SMETS2 being installed and still they don't link up with the data to the reader, they are harder to read as the gas certainly turns blank, now there is the additional worry that usage is being wrongly calculated.
    ​Estimated bills are being sent and add to the mix I am hoping to downsize to a smaller home in the next year, and I am no longer confident PP are sending me accurate bills.
    What a thing to tell perspective buyers...
  • And here we are - 21 months later, SMETS2 being installed and still they don't link up with the data to the reader, they are harder to read as the gas certainly turns blank, now there is the additional worry that usage is being wrongly calculated.
    ​Estimated bills are being sent and add to the mix I am hoping to downsize to a smaller home in the next year, and I am no longer confident PP are sending me accurate bills.
    What a thing to tell perspective buyers...

• It was always your position that you would replace first-generation meters with SMETS2. It's disappointing to see you rowing back from that as it was a major factor in choosing PurePlanet.
  • It was always your position that you would replace first-generation meters with SMETS2. It's disappointing to see you rowing back from that as it was a major factor in choosing PurePlanet.

• Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyJJ View Post
    It was always your position that you would replace first-generation meters with SMETS2. It's disappointing to see you rowing back from that as it was a major factor in choosing PurePlanet.
    Hi @fuzzyJJ
    We'd prefer not to tear 1st gen smart meters off walls if they're going to become smart again. That's expensive and produces a lot of waste.
    What's annoying is that we, as all the other energy suppliers, were promised the SMETS1 upgrade would start summer 2019. And this is what we all told our Members when they joined us.
    ​Now we're facing a year's delay, at least.

• Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyJJ View Post
    It was always your position that you would replace first-generation meters with SMETS2. It's disappointing to see you rowing back from that as it was a major factor in choosing PurePlanet.
    Hi @fuzzyJJ
    We'd prefer not to tear 1st gen smart meters off walls if they're going to become smart again. That's expensive and produces a lot of waste.
    What's annoying is that we, as all the other energy suppliers, were promised the SMETS1 upgrade would start summer 2019. And this is what we all told our Members when they joined us.
    ​Now we're facing a year's delay, at least.

• Hi, how can I even get a gas meter reading if I’ve got An aclara gas meter (1 gen smart meter). The screen is currently blank.
  • Hi, how can I even get a gas meter reading if I’ve got An aclara gas meter (1 gen smart meter). The screen is currently blank.

• Quote Originally Posted by beebees View Post
    Hi, how can I even get a gas meter reading if I’ve got An aclara gas meter (1 gen smart meter). The screen is currently blank.
    Hi @ beebees
    Welcome to the community!
    Thanks for posting.
    Check out this FAQ on how to read your old smart meter.
    Hope that helps

• Quote Originally Posted by beebees View Post
    Hi, how can I even get a gas meter reading if I’ve got An aclara gas meter (1 gen smart meter). The screen is currently blank.
    Hi @ beebees
    Welcome to the community!
    Thanks for posting.
    Check out this FAQ on how to read your old smart meter.
    Hope that helps

• hi bee
    ​​does it look like that?
    Name:  edf smart meters.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  137.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by beebees View Post
  • hi bee
    ​​does it look like that?
    Name:  edf smart meters.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  137.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by beebees View Post

• Hi Marc - Totally agree that reusing the current meters makes more sense - but given that different Smets1 meters will be upgraded at different times - could you maybe share a guide to help identify the different kinds of Smets1 meters. Mine was installed by Extra Energy but I have no idea what kind of smets 1 it is or where I would find this info..... and terms like Itron and Aclara sound like something from from Star Wars! Cheers Andrew
  • Hi Marc - Totally agree that reusing the current meters makes more sense - but given that different Smets1 meters will be upgraded at different times - could you maybe share a guide to help identify the different kinds of Smets1 meters. Mine was installed by Extra Energy but I have no idea what kind of smets 1 it is or where I would find this info..... and terms like Itron and Aclara sound like something from from Star Wars! Cheers Andrew

• Agreed! Utter waste of money! And what about the environmental impact - huge numbers of perfectly good meters being scrapped and replaced with new ones can't be good!
  • Agreed! Utter waste of money! And what about the environmental impact - huge numbers of perfectly good meters being scrapped and replaced with new ones can't be good!

• What is the cost of not replacing SMETS1 meters? There’s a migration project going on, which is overrunning by years, and costing us all millions. The whole Smart Meter project has been a total disaster. Nobody in Government is being held to account because everyone is focussed on Brexit.

Anyone want to take a bet that SMETS1 will never be able to work properly?
    Last edited by TheJB; 18-10-19 at 20:59.
  • What is the cost of not replacing SMETS1 meters? There’s a migration project going on, which is overrunning by years, and costing us all millions. The whole Smart Meter project has been a total disaster. Nobody in Government is being held to account because everyone is focussed on Brexit.

Anyone want to take a bet that SMETS1 will never be able to work properly?