• Account balance

Hello, so I gave my readings over a week and a half ago and this lower than expected because I was on holiday for a month, and they estimated this a little bit higher which I don't agree because I gave what was shown on the meter. So I don't understand why this has happened, I have contacted pp and not had a response ever since.

Also I don't understand this account balance stuff, this is the first time for me becoming a bill payer for energy. So what does it mean when I have an account balance? And will my readings be looked at every 6 months or so?
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Hello, so I gave my readings over a week and a half ago and this lower than expected because I was on holiday for a month, and they estimated this a little bit higher which I don't agree because I gave what was shown on the meter. So I don't understand why this has happened, I have contacted pp and not had a response ever since.

Also I don't understand this account balance stuff, this is the first time for me becoming a bill payer for energy. So what does it mean when I have an account balance? And will my readings be looked at every 6 months or so?
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

hi JHolding

don't worry about the estimated readings, the way it works is that every time you submit real readings your statement will be updated and you are charged for what you use.
    Your statement date is fixed, so when you submit readings PP will always estimate how much you will use from when you submit the readings up to the statement date. Your statement will always be at the most accurate if you submit readings when you get the email reminder or up to a day or 2 later.
    Your direct debit wont change unless you use a lot less or a lot more than originally estimated at the start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jholding View Post
    Hello, so I gave my readings over a week and a half ago and this lower than expected because I was on holiday for a month, and they estimated this a little bit higher which I don't agree because I gave what was shown on the meter. So I don't understand why this has happened, I have contacted pp and not had a response ever since.

• hi JHolding

don't worry about the estimated readings, the way it works is that every time you submit real readings your statement will be updated and you are charged for what you use.
    Your statement date is fixed, so when you submit readings PP will always estimate how much you will use from when you submit the readings up to the statement date. Your statement will always be at the most accurate if you submit readings when you get the email reminder or up to a day or 2 later.
    Your direct debit wont change unless you use a lot less or a lot more than originally estimated at the start.

• Best Answer

OK I understand this now, what about account balance? Switching credit and debit? How does this work? Does my meter get checked every six months or so?
    Hi there

You are paying a direct debit which is the same every month. But your usage varies each month - so your monthly statement tells you whether that has left you overall in credit or debit. You should roughly be in credit by about one month's direct debit payment, but it will vary - I use very little energy in the summer and so I get into a decent credit... but when a cold month comes the heating pushes the usage up, and my balance is reduced. I think I did go into debit towards the end of the winter, but the summer has built up my credit again.

Sending in your meter readings every month will give you the most accurate picture as to how things are going.

Roughly every six months Pure Planet have promised that accounts will be checked to make sure that your direct debit payments are still in sync with your usage. But if you see that happening anytime you can contact Pure Planet and ask them to readjust your payments.

Finally, a meter reader will occasionally call to check you are not on the fiddle!

Does that help?
    Stephen
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jholding View Post
    OK I understand this now, what about account balance? Switching credit and debit? How does this work? Does my meter get checked every six months or so?
    Hi there

You are paying a direct debit which is the same every month. But your usage varies each month - so your monthly statement tells you whether that has left you overall in credit or debit. You should roughly be in credit by about one month's direct debit payment, but it will vary - I use very little energy in the summer and so I get into a decent credit... but when a cold month comes the heating pushes the usage up, and my balance is reduced. I think I did go into debit towards the end of the winter, but the summer has built up my credit again.

Sending in your meter readings every month will give you the most accurate picture as to how things are going.

Roughly every six months Pure Planet have promised that accounts will be checked to make sure that your direct debit payments are still in sync with your usage. But if you see that happening anytime you can contact Pure Planet and ask them to readjust your payments.

Finally, a meter reader will occasionally call to check you are not on the fiddle!

Does that help?
    Stephen

• OK I understand this now, what about account balance? Switching credit and debit? How does this work? Does my meter get checked every six months or so?
  • OK I understand this now, what about account balance? Switching credit and debit? How does this work? Does my meter get checked every six months or so?

• hi jholding
    Imagine you have a jar which you put money into every month, say £100. The jar is your account.
    Month1 You put in £100 in you have CREDIT of £100
    Supplier takes out £80 for energy used there is £20 CREDIT left in the jar,
    Month2 you put another £100 in you have £120 CREDIT in the jar
    You use £105 worth of energy, so Supplier takes out £105, there's £15 CREDIT left in the jar
    Month3 You put in another £100 there is £115 credit in the jar, but you use £120 in energy so Supplier comes along and takes the £115 empties the jar and the jar owes them £5 so you're £5 in DEBIT
    You put in another £100 but now there is only £95 in the jar because it owed the fiver.
    and so on
    Does that explain how it works?

• hi jholding
    Imagine you have a jar which you put money into every month, say £100. The jar is your account.
    Month1 You put in £100 in you have CREDIT of £100
    Supplier takes out £80 for energy used there is £20 CREDIT left in the jar,
    Month2 you put another £100 in you have £120 CREDIT in the jar
    You use £105 worth of energy, so Supplier takes out £105, there's £15 CREDIT left in the jar
    Month3 You put in another £100 there is £115 credit in the jar, but you use £120 in energy so Supplier comes along and takes the £115 empties the jar and the jar owes them £5 so you're £5 in DEBIT
    You put in another £100 but now there is only £95 in the jar because it owed the fiver.
    and so on
    Does that explain how it works?