• Smart Meters & the Government

I note the government, or minions working for it, seem to be again pushing smart meters and insisting on the roll out going oK and it is a good thing. Despite the roll out having slowed! The implication to somebody not aware of their function, which is to do little more than tell the supplier what your readings are, is still they save you money. They don’t. If you really want to use the meter to do that then you need it with you when you switch something on so that you can see what the increase in current drain is. Or of course you get your partner to be in the room where the meter is and you shout when about to switch the kettle on so that he or she can monitor it! Now if you could programme them with things like “kettle”, “iron”, “coffee machine” and it knows when they are switched on that would be better. As the electronics to do this exist, for one company markets such a device, odd that the facility is not incorporated. Perhaps that is for the roll out of version 3?!!

Anyway I am one of the thousands who government like to think do not exist, who cannot have one installed as the signal is too weak. I met a lady from Wales yesterday for whom, not only is a smart meter no good, where she lives there is no mobile phone signal.

Which leads me to another query. How do the mobile phone suppliers calculate how good their signal is and tell us they cover over 90% of the country. I am currently with EE who boast about their coverage. I am struggling to see 3 bars on my phone, sometimes I get 3G showing and if it’s my birthday 4G. Plus calls disconnect in mid conversation. I get this with Vodafone as well. If I go into a city I get 4G OK. I only live 3 miles east of Durham City and am not out in the sticks! Somebody in the supply industry is telling big porkies!
    Richard
  • I note the government, or minions working for it, seem to be again pushing smart meters and insisting on the roll out going oK and it is a good thing. Despite the roll out having slowed! The implication to somebody not aware of their function, which is to do little more than tell the supplier what your readings are, is still they save you money. They don’t. If you really want to use the meter to do that then you need it with you when you switch something on so that you can see what the increase in current drain is. Or of course you get your partner to be in the room where the meter is and you shout when about to switch the kettle on so that he or she can monitor it! Now if you could programme them with things like “kettle”, “iron”, “coffee machine” and it knows when they are switched on that would be better. As the electronics to do this exist, for one company markets such a device, odd that the facility is not incorporated. Perhaps that is for the roll out of version 3?!!

Anyway I am one of the thousands who government like to think do not exist, who cannot have one installed as the signal is too weak. I met a lady from Wales yesterday for whom, not only is a smart meter no good, where she lives there is no mobile phone signal.

Which leads me to another query. How do the mobile phone suppliers calculate how good their signal is and tell us they cover over 90% of the country. I am currently with EE who boast about their coverage. I am struggling to see 3 bars on my phone, sometimes I get 3G showing and if it’s my birthday 4G. Plus calls disconnect in mid conversation. I get this with Vodafone as well. If I go into a city I get 4G OK. I only live 3 miles east of Durham City and am not out in the sticks! Somebody in the supply industry is telling big porkies!
    Richard

• Hi @G4RHL
    Some interesting points raised here, thanks!

Now if you could programme them with things like “kettle”, “iron”, “coffee machine” and it knows when they are switched on that would be better. As the electronics to do this exist, for one company markets such a device, odd that the facility is not incorporated. Perhaps that is for the roll out of version 3?!!
    My feeling is that we're not that far off. Personally I'd like to see that info in one place, such as an app. It would require all your appliances to be smart too of course. I do have one smart plug which I use to plug in a lamp. I can now ask Siri to turn it on and off. But as yet it doesn't tell me how much energy has been used.

I am currently with EE who boast about their coverage. I am struggling to see 3 bars on my phone, sometimes I get 3G showing and if it’s my birthday 4G. Plus calls disconnect in mid conversation. I get this with Vodafone as well.
    For smart meters, the 'north' falls under a company called Arqiva. The country's been divided into two - Arqiva covers everywhere from Manchester upwards, and O2 does the rest.
    Not sure that really answers your question....But they claim to have demonstrated to the Government that they can handle it.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Hi @G4RHL
    Some interesting points raised here, thanks!

Now if you could programme them with things like “kettle”, “iron”, “coffee machine” and it knows when they are switched on that would be better. As the electronics to do this exist, for one company markets such a device, odd that the facility is not incorporated. Perhaps that is for the roll out of version 3?!!
    My feeling is that we're not that far off. Personally I'd like to see that info in one place, such as an app. It would require all your appliances to be smart too of course. I do have one smart plug which I use to plug in a lamp. I can now ask Siri to turn it on and off. But as yet it doesn't tell me how much energy has been used.

I am currently with EE who boast about their coverage. I am struggling to see 3 bars on my phone, sometimes I get 3G showing and if it’s my birthday 4G. Plus calls disconnect in mid conversation. I get this with Vodafone as well.
    For smart meters, the 'north' falls under a company called Arqiva. The country's been divided into two - Arqiva covers everywhere from Manchester upwards, and O2 does the rest.
    Not sure that really answers your question....But they claim to have demonstrated to the Government that they can handle it.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet