• Electricity metre not being read

I had an upgrade to the "tails" on my electricity meter as I was having a car charger installed. The electrician took a reading at the time he did this and sent it in. A presumption was made that the metre was removed and so on my app there was no section to send in electric meter reading, just gas. I raised this with them and they said it was because they thought the meter had been removed. This month I sent in my meter readings but was surprised to find this on my bill:

30 Jul 2019 11253.0 Reading
    30 Aug 2019 11253.0 Estimate
    Apparently, they have estimated that I have used no electricity in the last month! Incredible! I have raised this with PP through two "complaints" but a week later I have had no reply. I can only do so much. Any thoughts? By the way changing the tails costs £160 so if you are using a lot of electricity it might work out cheaper to pay the charge and never have to pay an electricity bill again!
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • I had an upgrade to the "tails" on my electricity meter as I was having a car charger installed. The electrician took a reading at the time he did this and sent it in. A presumption was made that the metre was removed and so on my app there was no section to send in electric meter reading, just gas. I raised this with them and they said it was because they thought the meter had been removed. This month I sent in my meter readings but was surprised to find this on my bill:

Apparently, they have estimated that I have used no electricity in the last month! Incredible! I have raised this with PP through two "complaints" but a week later I have had no reply. I can only do so much. Any thoughts? By the way changing the tails costs £160 so if you are using a lot of electricity it might work out cheaper to pay the charge and never have to pay an electricity bill again!
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

I did tell them and they did reply
    "I've taken a look for you and it seems that when you had your meter tails upgraded, the engineer took a meter reading from your meter and submitted it as if the meter had been removed.

This tricked our system into believing your meter was removed and therefore you couldn't provide meter readings".

Well the system is being rather obstinate in spite of the "fix". I have told them though.

- - - Updated - - -

I used the complaint form and they did reply but not this time. Maybe changing the tails has resulted in the customer care team disappearing! Give it a few weeks and the entire company will be gone!
  • I did tell them and they did reply
    "I've taken a look for you and it seems that when you had your meter tails upgraded, the engineer took a meter reading from your meter and submitted it as if the meter had been removed.

This tricked our system into believing your meter was removed and therefore you couldn't provide meter readings".

Well the system is being rather obstinate in spite of the "fix". I have told them though.

- - - Updated - - -

I used the complaint form and they did reply but not this time. Maybe changing the tails has resulted in the customer care team disappearing! Give it a few weeks and the entire company will be gone!

• Just wondering how you made your 'complaints'? Did you use Wattbot and begin by putting 'message the team' in the question box? If you do that they promise to get back to you within one or two working days. Or did you use the complaints form?
    Let us know how you get on.
    Stephen
    Last edited by stephenrand; 04-09-19 at 17:31.
  • Just wondering how you made your 'complaints'? Did you use Wattbot and begin by putting 'message the team' in the question box? If you do that they promise to get back to you within one or two working days. Or did you use the complaints form?
    Let us know how you get on.
    Stephen

• hi Gasconsumer (as opposed to gasemitter?)
    this is a bit confusing, changing the tails does not affect the meter reading if the meter isn't changed so it looks like either the submission from electrician was wrong or it's been misinterpreted. It shouldn't have changed the satus of the meter on your account.
    Clearly PP's systems think otherwise but it should be easily sortable.
    Go to help ask wattbot, tell PP your meter hasn't been changed and SEND A PHOTO of the meter preferrably showing the reading.(just as belt and braces)
    No idea why this went wrong, problem could be with pp's interpretation or with what the fitter did. Hopefully they will explain and fix it.
    Good point though, new tails for no bills- bargain of the week!
    While I'm here what charger did you have installed, how much was it and did you get a gov. grant to help?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasconsumer View Post
    I had an upgrade to the "tails" on my electricity meter as I was having a car charger installed. The electrician took a reading at the time he did this and sent it in. A presumption was made that the metre was removed and so on my app there was no section to send in electric meter reading, just gas. I raised this with them and they said it was because they thought the meter had been removed. This month I sent in my meter readings but was surprised to find this on my bill:

Last edited by woz; 04-09-19 at 21:55.
  • hi Gasconsumer (as opposed to gasemitter?)
    this is a bit confusing, changing the tails does not affect the meter reading if the meter isn't changed so it looks like either the submission from electrician was wrong or it's been misinterpreted. It shouldn't have changed the satus of the meter on your account.
    Clearly PP's systems think otherwise but it should be easily sortable.
    Go to help ask wattbot, tell PP your meter hasn't been changed and SEND A PHOTO of the meter preferrably showing the reading.(just as belt and braces)
    No idea why this went wrong, problem could be with pp's interpretation or with what the fitter did. Hopefully they will explain and fix it.
    Good point though, new tails for no bills- bargain of the week!
    While I'm here what charger did you have installed, how much was it and did you get a gov. grant to help?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasconsumer View Post

• This tricked our system into believing your meter was removed and therefore you couldn't provide meter readings".

I can't understand that, what did they think you were using for energy, it's a long time since houses had gas lighting
  • This tricked our system into believing your meter was removed and therefore you couldn't provide meter readings".

I can't understand that, what did they think you were using for energy, it's a long time since houses had gas lighting

• I do have solar panels and it is summer which have reduced my bills. However, I agree it is worrying that they have not picked up on this even when I told them. Hence the post on the forum. I don't want them coming back and saying I didnt let them know or seek a solution.

- - - Updated - - -

Used a complaint. I found watt bot and saw there was a message asking me to send a meter reading . I have sent a picture so we will see what happens.
  • I do have solar panels and it is summer which have reduced my bills. However, I agree it is worrying that they have not picked up on this even when I told them. Hence the post on the forum. I don't want them coming back and saying I didnt let them know or seek a solution.

- - - Updated - - -

Used a complaint. I found watt bot and saw there was a message asking me to send a meter reading . I have sent a picture so we will see what happens.

• I don’t think you need worry about that, the bigger concern is if they have tweaked your account as though the meter was changed, it may take a while to pedal backwards...if .....
    ​because at this stage it isn’t clear what’s happened.
    Your payments won’t change in the meantime so I think it’s just a matter of patience..
  • I don’t think you need worry about that, the bigger concern is if they have tweaked your account as though the meter was changed, it may take a while to pedal backwards...if .....
    ​because at this stage it isn’t clear what’s happened.
    Your payments won’t change in the meantime so I think it’s just a matter of patience..

• Well this is a weird one indeed. Firstly the sparky would of informed the national database of the reading and they pass this onto PP. so either the sparky gave wrong info or database folk input the wrong data. As woz says its not overly troublsome but may take a couple of weeks to sort out.
    If only the tails were being upgraded then why on earth did the sparky need to give readings to anyone?
  • Well this is a weird one indeed. Firstly the sparky would of informed the national database of the reading and they pass this onto PP. so either the sparky gave wrong info or database folk input the wrong data. As woz says its not overly troublsome but may take a couple of weeks to sort out.
    If only the tails were being upgraded then why on earth did the sparky need to give readings to anyone?

• They replied to my complaint on the 5th of September and I sent them a photo of the meter reading. No reply as yet.
  • They replied to my complaint on the 5th of September and I sent them a photo of the meter reading. No reply as yet.

• Quote Originally Posted by Gasconsumer View Post
    "I've taken a look for you and it seems that when you had your meter tails upgraded, the engineer took a meter reading from your meter and submitted it as if the meter had been removed. This tricked our system into believing your meter was removed and therefore you couldn't provide meter readings".
    I just checked with our Member Services team - glad to see this was all updated so you can enter your meter readings as normal now
  • Quote Originally Posted by Gasconsumer View Post
    "I've taken a look for you and it seems that when you had your meter tails upgraded, the engineer took a meter reading from your meter and submitted it as if the meter had been removed. This tricked our system into believing your meter was removed and therefore you couldn't provide meter readings".
    I just checked with our Member Services team - glad to see this was all updated so you can enter your meter readings as normal now

• I used the complaint form. I was not aware that you could use Wattbot.
  • I used the complaint form. I was not aware that you could use Wattbot.