• How did your garden grow?

We've had our best ever crop of spuds and onions this year.

Peas got battered by torrential rain and never really recovered. We should still be picking them but the plants have gone black and rotten. Most of the runner beans failed to germinate, but those that did cropped well.

Of the soft fruit, the early raspberries did well but the later variety are going mouldy before they ripen.

In the greenhouse the tomatoes are still cropping heavily while a
    proliferation of slugs are enjoying the strawberries.
    I reckon we'll be picking them up until the first frosts.

One apple tree is heavily laden with fruit, as is the ground underneath after every gust of wind. The other apple tree seems to be struggling to keep anything on its branches at all and is practically bare.
  • We've had our best ever crop of spuds and onions this year.

Peas got battered by torrential rain and never really recovered. We should still be picking them but the plants have gone black and rotten. Most of the runner beans failed to germinate, but those that did cropped well.

Of the soft fruit, the early raspberries did well but the later variety are going mouldy before they ripen.

In the greenhouse the tomatoes are still cropping heavily while a
    proliferation of slugs are enjoying the strawberries.
    I reckon we'll be picking them up until the first frosts.

One apple tree is heavily laden with fruit, as is the ground underneath after every gust of wind. The other apple tree seems to be struggling to keep anything on its branches at all and is practically bare.
  • Lovely post @Oakbank!

We mostly grow herbs - mint, basil, oregano, thyme and rosemary.
    We had to cut the mint back completely as it was growing too tall, and after a few weeks it's already grown back massively!
    Oregano has been taken over with flowers so will cut that back ready to regrow after winter.

We also have plums (didn't do too well this year) and soon will have apples
    We tend to use the apples from one tree for ourselves and leave the other tree for birds
    They seem to have sprung up from nowhere this season!

We tried growing strawberries but found they needed too much work and got eaten before we reached them by slugs and birds.
    Any tips?

All our colourful flowers are wilting now but at their peak looked like this -
    ​
    Name:  gardening.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  2.17 MB
  • Lovely post @Oakbank!

We mostly grow herbs - mint, basil, oregano, thyme and rosemary.
    We had to cut the mint back completely as it was growing too tall, and after a few weeks it's already grown back massively!
    Oregano has been taken over with flowers so will cut that back ready to regrow after winter.

We also have plums (didn't do too well this year) and soon will have apples
    We tend to use the apples from one tree for ourselves and leave the other tree for birds
    They seem to have sprung up from nowhere this season!

We tried growing strawberries but found they needed too much work and got eaten before we reached them by slugs and birds.
    Any tips?

All our colourful flowers are wilting now but at their peak looked like this -
    ​
    Name:  gardening.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  2.17 MB
  • Absolutely divine Nat πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸŒΈπŸŒΊπŸŒΉ
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Absolutely divine Nat πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸŒΈπŸŒΊπŸŒΉ

WALT WHITMAN
  • Mixed bag from me on the veggie plot. Spuds, leeks onion celery spinach and lettuce done very well. Beans in crop now along with toms cucs and an abundance of aubergine. Soft fruit is good provided you beat the wasps to them.
  • Mixed bag from me on the veggie plot. Spuds, leeks onion celery spinach and lettuce done very well. Beans in crop now along with toms cucs and an abundance of aubergine. Soft fruit is good provided you beat the wasps to them.
  • With the recent rain (and sun) our rosemary plant has really exploded and taken over the recently cut-back mint!

Though considering only a few weeks ago the mint plant was just a few leafless stems, that's doing pretty well too.

Name:  rosemary.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  150.0 KB

It'll be mojitos all round soon
  • With the recent rain (and sun) our rosemary plant has really exploded and taken over the recently cut-back mint!

Though considering only a few weeks ago the mint plant was just a few leafless stems, that's doing pretty well too.

Name:  rosemary.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  150.0 KB

It'll be mojitos all round soon
  • Onions are all up now.
    The last of the runner beans will be ready in a week.
    We're still picking raspberries, strawberries and tomatoes.
    We've picked about a cwt of cooking apples, which go well with wild brambles beyond the garden.

So, loads of vitamin 'C' to help us survive the winter.
  • Onions are all up now.
    The last of the runner beans will be ready in a week.
    We're still picking raspberries, strawberries and tomatoes.
    We've picked about a cwt of cooking apples, which go well with wild brambles beyond the garden.

So, loads of vitamin 'C' to help us survive the winter.
  • I don't have much in the way of veggies growing but herbs did well. Oregano (favourite), rosemary, mint, Lovage did awesome and first time I've used it, it's fantastic! Tarragon, chives, basil and spinach. Purple basil didn't do anything though. Oh, and a couple of cherry tomato plants have done really well.

My perennials have all done fabulous, giant dahlia Bishop of York, salvias, fuschia, coreopsis, agapanthus, azalea, jasmine, pinks, lupins, foxgloves, echinacea, rudbeckia, delphiniums, etc. But the gift that keeps on giving is the chocolate cosmos, but I'm going to have to split it again!

I think it's been the best year for my garden 😁 and not so good for the insect bites ☹️
  • I don't have much in the way of veggies growing but herbs did well. Oregano (favourite), rosemary, mint, Lovage did awesome and first time I've used it, it's fantastic! Tarragon, chives, basil and spinach. Purple basil didn't do anything though. Oh, and a couple of cherry tomato plants have done really well.

My perennials have all done fabulous, giant dahlia Bishop of York, salvias, fuschia, coreopsis, agapanthus, azalea, jasmine, pinks, lupins, foxgloves, echinacea, rudbeckia, delphiniums, etc. But the gift that keeps on giving is the chocolate cosmos, but I'm going to have to split it again!

I think it's been the best year for my garden 😁 and not so good for the insect bites ☹️
  • Done fantastic Ange πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘. Impressed re echinacea πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Done fantastic Ange πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘. Impressed re echinacea πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Thanks Bev, hope this cold snap isn't going to kill my blooms 😯
  • Thanks Bev, hope this cold snap isn't going to kill my blooms 😯
  • Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Thanks Bev, hope this cold snap isn't going to kill my blooms 😯
    Apart from investing in a greenhouse, is there any particular way to keep things alive during Winter?

Or any plants/veg that grows particularly well even in the cold?
  • Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Thanks Bev, hope this cold snap isn't going to kill my blooms 😯
    Apart from investing in a greenhouse, is there any particular way to keep things alive during Winter?

• hi Nataly
    I hesitate to suggest this as it involves plastic, but a cheap knocked together frame (You could even cut windows in a strong cardboard box) and cover it in clingwrap (I apologise - I hate the stuff but it does have it's uses). Put on a base of existing polystyrene from packaging that already exists to insulate from frost.
    I've read that Broccoli Sprouts Cabbage are hardy....but steer clear of any loved ones after eating...

Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post

• hi Nataly
    I hesitate to suggest this as it involves plastic, but a cheap knocked together frame (You could even cut windows in a strong cardboard box) and cover it in clingwrap (I apologise - I hate the stuff but it does have it's uses). Put on a base of existing polystyrene from packaging that already exists to insulate from frost.
    I've read that Broccoli Sprouts Cabbage are hardy....but steer clear of any loved ones after eating...

Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Same goes for asparagus πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ˜‚, don’t eat it on a school night cos you’ll be farting for England non stop the following day πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸƒ*β™€οΈπŸ’¨πŸ€ͺπŸ˜πŸ˜‚,!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
    ​

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Same goes for asparagus πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ˜‚, don’t eat it on a school night cos you’ll be farting for England non stop the following day πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸƒ*β™€οΈπŸ’¨πŸ€ͺπŸ˜πŸ˜‚,!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
    ​

WALT WHITMAN
  • Love asparagus, doesn't affect me in a gaseous way, but completely makes wee smell strange!!! Oh aren't we a lovely bunch!🀭

Anyway, for my perrenials, I leave the dead stalks as they stand until the worst of the winter is over, then cut back in spring, they always come back wonderful. It's as if the dead stalks prevent the frost going down to the roots. Doesn't look too pretty over winter but I'm not in the garden that much anyway.
  • Love asparagus, doesn't affect me in a gaseous way, but completely makes wee smell strange!!! Oh aren't we a lovely bunch!🀭

Anyway, for my perrenials, I leave the dead stalks as they stand until the worst of the winter is over, then cut back in spring, they always come back wonderful. It's as if the dead stalks prevent the frost going down to the roots. Doesn't look too pretty over winter but I'm not in the garden that much anyway.