Poll: Would you charge a neighbour or friend to look after their pet?

• POLL: Would you charge a neighbour or friend to look after their pet?

Name:  walk the dog.PNG
Views: 69
Size:  965.5 KB

In a few weeks’ time a neighbour of ours is going away for a five-day mini break.

She’s asked us to pet sit her dog and cat. That’s two meals a day, morning and evening, and two walks a day (for the dog only, not the cat ).

Naturally she’ll leaving us her spare key and there’s going to be a cupboard full of pet food.

But it got me thinking….. Would it be rude for us to ask for some payment? I'll be honest and say that my instinct is no. Even though she’s not a close friend, she’s a neighbour, it's a good 'neighbourly' thing to do.

And yet....?

We’ve never asked her to look after our cats, and she’s not asked us before (I think she’s a bit desperate TBH). But still, that’s 10 walks and 10 feedings. Which takes time and effort. She's never asked us round to hers before.

So, maybe I should asked her for £50 for our time?!!

Or am I being a bit mean here?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Name:  walk the dog.PNG
Views: 69
Size:  965.5 KB

In a few weeks’ time a neighbour of ours is going away for a five-day mini break.

She’s asked us to pet sit her dog and cat. That’s two meals a day, morning and evening, and two walks a day (for the dog only, not the cat ).

Naturally she’ll leaving us her spare key and there’s going to be a cupboard full of pet food.

But it got me thinking….. Would it be rude for us to ask for some payment? I'll be honest and say that my instinct is no. Even though she’s not a close friend, she’s a neighbour, it's a good 'neighbourly' thing to do.

And yet....?

We’ve never asked her to look after our cats, and she’s not asked us before (I think she’s a bit desperate TBH). But still, that’s 10 walks and 10 feedings. Which takes time and effort. She's never asked us round to hers before.

So, maybe I should asked her for £50 for our time?!!

Or am I being a bit mean here?

• Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

Would it be rude for us to ask for some payment?
    Yes, LOL

When I go on hols my neighbors will be feeding my cat (who is basically a wild animal) for 2 weeks. But we do see a lot of them and we'll 100% be bringing them back a thank you bottle of rum.

If you dont know her you could just say no, I think thats ok. There are loads of people who do this as a business for a small fee.
    Last edited by Niall_PP; 30-08-19 at 12:38.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

Would it be rude for us to ask for some payment?
    Yes, LOL

When I go on hols my neighbors will be feeding my cat (who is basically a wild animal) for 2 weeks. But we do see a lot of them and we'll 100% be bringing them back a thank you bottle of rum.

If you dont know her you could just say no, I think thats ok. There are loads of people who do this as a business for a small fee.
  • To be honest I would be wary, even more so if you don't know them well. What if something happens and the pet(s) need a vet etc, and then who would pay?
  • To be honest I would be wary, even more so if you don't know them well. What if something happens and the pet(s) need a vet etc, and then who would pay?
  • Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
    To be honest I would be wary, even more so if you don't know them well. What if something happens and the pet(s) need a vet etc, and then who would pay?
    Hey @Duppy
    FINALLY someone who sees where I'm coming from (I'm very much the villain in office right now )
    It's not straightforward is it?

• Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
    To be honest I would be wary, even more so if you don't know them well. What if something happens and the pet(s) need a vet etc, and then who would pay?
    Hey @Duppy
    FINALLY someone who sees where I'm coming from (I'm very much the villain in office right now )
    It's not straightforward is it?

• I’m deffo with Niall in, if you don’t know her well, just say no. Yes it’d be mean to charge, but that’s assuming you’re good friends and see them regularly. Fact you’ve never even been round before suggests 1. She’s desperate and 2. She’s not much of a pet lover really, trusting her pets (and home) to people she barely knows just to get away on a break 🙀👎👎👎👎. No, as Duppy says, if anything happened, there’s no closeness there between you where you’d feel comfortable calling her or asking for vet money etc. No, I’d say you’ve both given it thought, and sorry but it’s not possible. If dont wanna be too blunt, just say some family business has cropped up in London and neither of you will be around.
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • I’m deffo with Niall in, if you don’t know her well, just say no. Yes it’d be mean to charge, but that’s assuming you’re good friends and see them regularly. Fact you’ve never even been round before suggests 1. She’s desperate and 2. She’s not much of a pet lover really, trusting her pets (and home) to people she barely knows just to get away on a break 🙀👎👎👎👎. No, as Duppy says, if anything happened, there’s no closeness there between you where you’d feel comfortable calling her or asking for vet money etc. No, I’d say you’ve both given it thought, and sorry but it’s not possible. If dont wanna be too blunt, just say some family business has cropped up in London and neither of you will be around.

WALT WHITMAN
  • I shall ask Alfie the not so stray stray as we have now been visited by the cat fairy and he has semi adopted us...(not the fairy, the cat)

It's not about the money, it's about the responsibility, more so for the dog, as cats are quite self sufficient.
    Bear in mind that if you ask for payment you're then taking on the responsibility for payment too. That sounds like a recipe for problems if anything happens.
    Even if I did say yes I'd be tempted to ask the neighbour to sign a piece of paper to say that if you incur expense because you are looking after the animals, you will be reimbursed no matter what the circumstances.
    I've done it for others and others have done it for us without such caveats, but we know each other well and both would do the right thing.
    Last edited by woz; 31-08-19 at 00:25.
  • I shall ask Alfie the not so stray stray as we have now been visited by the cat fairy and he has semi adopted us...(not the fairy, the cat)

It's not about the money, it's about the responsibility, more so for the dog, as cats are quite self sufficient.
    Bear in mind that if you ask for payment you're then taking on the responsibility for payment too. That sounds like a recipe for problems if anything happens.
    Even if I did say yes I'd be tempted to ask the neighbour to sign a piece of paper to say that if you incur expense because you are looking after the animals, you will be reimbursed no matter what the circumstances.
    I've done it for others and others have done it for us without such caveats, but we know each other well and both would do the right thing.
  • no change there then...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    (I'm very much the villain in office right now )
  • no change there then...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    (I'm very much the villain in office right now )
  • It’s deffo about the not knowing her well that doesn’t sit right for me 👎👎👎👎👎🤔
    Last edited by Bev; 31-08-19 at 13:28. Reason: Fly fishing by J. R Hartley

WALT WHITMAN
  • It’s deffo about the not knowing her well that doesn’t sit right for me 👎👎👎👎👎🤔

WALT WHITMAN
  • Taking payment implies accepting a degree of responsibility. I'd say something along the lines of "Yes, sure I'll feed and walk your dog, but I won't be letting him off the lead until I'm certain he'll obey me. Have a good holiday."

And if the dog is grossly overweight and untrained it'll be fitter, slimmer and better trained when they return
  • Taking payment implies accepting a degree of responsibility. I'd say something along the lines of "Yes, sure I'll feed and walk your dog, but I won't be letting him off the lead until I'm certain he'll obey me. Have a good holiday."

And if the dog is grossly overweight and untrained it'll be fitter, slimmer and better trained when they return
  • There's long wait in casualty for dog bites...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post
    Taking payment implies accepting a degree of responsibility. I'd say something along the lines of "Yes, sure I'll feed and walk your dog, but I won't be letting him off the lead until I'm certain he'll obey me. Have a good holiday."

• There's long wait in casualty for dog bites...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post
    Taking payment implies accepting a degree of responsibility. I'd say something along the lines of "Yes, sure I'll feed and walk your dog, but I won't be letting him off the lead until I'm certain he'll obey me. Have a good holiday."

• You know all about that our Wozeeta 😉
    Last edited by Bev; 31-08-19 at 20:39. Reason: Silent but deadlies

WALT WHITMAN
  • You know all about that our Wozeeta 😉

WALT WHITMAN
  • I'm assuming they are covering the cost of food and all the other required stuff to look after their pets?

Depends on how much you love pets, for instance my wife would pay to look after someone's pet :P
  • I'm assuming they are covering the cost of food and all the other required stuff to look after their pets?

Depends on how much you love pets, for instance my wife would pay to look after someone's pet :P
  • Adding to my previous comments, another thing to think about is security. As she is leaving you her key, you are effectively taking responsibility for a stranger's home, if heaven forbid the house gets burgled, or anything goes missing, you have her key and would be first suspect.
    Too much responsibility for someone you hardly know

No I'm afraid I would politely decline and offer the phone number of the local kennels/ catteries. Offer up work/family commitments as Bev suggests if it makes you feel better
    Last edited by Duppy; 02-09-19 at 09:45.
  • Adding to my previous comments, another thing to think about is security. As she is leaving you her key, you are effectively taking responsibility for a stranger's home, if heaven forbid the house gets burgled, or anything goes missing, you have her key and would be first suspect.
    Too much responsibility for someone you hardly know

No I'm afraid I would politely decline and offer the phone number of the local kennels/ catteries. Offer up work/family commitments as Bev suggests if it makes you feel better
  • If the neighbour is a good friend then I would say no problem.
    If they have just picked on you as there is no one else left then I would say no way.

It all depends on how well you know and like your neighbour.

Just my thoughts.
  • If the neighbour is a good friend then I would say no problem.
    If they have just picked on you as there is no one else left then I would say no way.

It all depends on how well you know and like your neighbour.

Just my thoughts.
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    no change there then...

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    no change there then...