Poll: Who's going for an electric car soon?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

• Who's getting an electric car?

Hey everyone,
    So Ill probably be in the market for new car in a few months when I speak to Kia about my current deal (diesel Sportage) and wondering whether now is the time to go electric.

1. I don't like Kia's electric car range.
    2. Do they still not have the range? I think I'd need a plug in hybrid as I can do 100s of miles sometimes when I travel for work or I can do 10 to and from the office - is it still worth it?
    3. If you get an electric car are you given the means to charge at home or do you have to sort that yourself?

With that in mind, what are other PP members thoughts on going electric? Id like to hear your stories!

For me, I'm still thinking it's too soon, the infrastructure and pricing isn't in the right place for me yet so I'll likely be going for another Sportage or similar from Kia unless I can be convinced otherwise!
  • Hey everyone,
    So Ill probably be in the market for new car in a few months when I speak to Kia about my current deal (diesel Sportage) and wondering whether now is the time to go electric.

1. I don't like Kia's electric car range.
    2. Do they still not have the range? I think I'd need a plug in hybrid as I can do 100s of miles sometimes when I travel for work or I can do 10 to and from the office - is it still worth it?
    3. If you get an electric car are you given the means to charge at home or do you have to sort that yourself?

With that in mind, what are other PP members thoughts on going electric? Id like to hear your stories!

For me, I'm still thinking it's too soon, the infrastructure and pricing isn't in the right place for me yet so I'll likely be going for another Sportage or similar from Kia unless I can be convinced otherwise!
  • Hi @MrSmart,

Good poll. We bought a car last year and wanted to go electric, but took into consideration all the things you mentioned and didn't feel confident enough to go for it, so we chose a hybrid instead.
  • Hi @MrSmart,

Good poll. We bought a car last year and wanted to go electric, but took into consideration all the things you mentioned and didn't feel confident enough to go for it, so we chose a hybrid instead.
  • Does that mean you're on a lease deal with Kia? Otherwise why would you only look at Kias?
    That said ​the niro seems to have a respectable range, although i.mo.it's not very exciting to look at.
  • Does that mean you're on a lease deal with Kia? Otherwise why would you only look at Kias?
    That said ​the niro seems to have a respectable range, although i.mo.it's not very exciting to look at.
  • I agree with @MrSmart regarding the infrastructure. I have been on a few mini breaks this year, and not just small B&B's but larger 150-200 room hotels. IF they had EV charging points they must have been hidden around the back somewhere, as they weren't in the car parks. How are you supposed to get home. At least with my car I can get 400 miles to a tank and can fill up anywhere
  • I agree with @MrSmart regarding the infrastructure. I have been on a few mini breaks this year, and not just small B&B's but larger 150-200 room hotels. IF they had EV charging points they must have been hidden around the back somewhere, as they weren't in the car parks. How are you supposed to get home. At least with my car I can get 400 miles to a tank and can fill up anywhere
  • Quote Originally Posted by MrSmart View Post
    What are other PP members thoughts on going electric? Id like to hear your stories!

Nice one for posting this @MrSmart
    I love it!
    Almost as much as I love my Nissan Leaf. Which I'm leasing, rather than buy.
    Not had a range issue yet in terms of running out. But then I've not ventured far. The only significant change is that I used to drive to London whenever I needed to see the family.
    Even though there are loads of EV chargers between London and the West Country (ooar!) I've not done it in the Leaf. Since January I've used train or coach for the London trips.
    Not sure what I'd do in an emergency (trying not to think about that!).

How far would you need to drive regularly?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by MrSmart View Post
    What are other PP members thoughts on going electric? Id like to hear your stories!

Nice one for posting this @MrSmart
    I love it!
    Almost as much as I love my Nissan Leaf. Which I'm leasing, rather than buy.
    Not had a range issue yet in terms of running out. But then I've not ventured far. The only significant change is that I used to drive to London whenever I needed to see the family.
    Even though there are loads of EV chargers between London and the West Country (ooar!) I've not done it in the Leaf. Since January I've used train or coach for the London trips.
    Not sure what I'd do in an emergency (trying not to think about that!).

How far would you need to drive regularly?

• Hi @woz I'm on PCP with Kia and have been for years and years. I just go back every 2 years and get a new one. Leasing is bad for me because I do so many business miles travelling around the country talking about smart meters!

I've been looking at the Niro and according to the lifestyle calculator I'm best with a plug in hybrid but not knowing much about EVs I don't know whether that would be worth it. Plus, they are REALLY ugly so I wouldn't be seen dead in it anyway!

I could just wait another year for my Sportage to be out of contract and go elsewhere - Volvos are lovely but they are lagging behind on EVs too. So, for me, I still think it's too early for electric yet, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Does that mean you're on a lease deal with Kia? Otherwise why would you only look at Kias?
  • Hi @woz I'm on PCP with Kia and have been for years and years. I just go back every 2 years and get a new one. Leasing is bad for me because I do so many business miles travelling around the country talking about smart meters!

I've been looking at the Niro and according to the lifestyle calculator I'm best with a plug in hybrid but not knowing much about EVs I don't know whether that would be worth it. Plus, they are REALLY ugly so I wouldn't be seen dead in it anyway!

I could just wait another year for my Sportage to be out of contract and go elsewhere - Volvos are lovely but they are lagging behind on EVs too. So, for me, I still think it's too early for electric yet, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Does that mean you're on a lease deal with Kia? Otherwise why would you only look at Kias?
  • Just done a car change and gone for a fairly clean mini. Yes i would love a tesla but in reality dropping that sort of money on a car cannot be justified. So my thinking at the moment is to get an electric mini in 3 yrs time. Provided the dog has enough back seat space.
  • Just done a car change and gone for a fairly clean mini. Yes i would love a tesla but in reality dropping that sort of money on a car cannot be justified. So my thinking at the moment is to get an electric mini in 3 yrs time. Provided the dog has enough back seat space.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Just done a car change and gone for a fairly clean mini.
    Nice! Is the standard model or one of those 'Countryman' ones with the double doors for the boot?

Just done a car change and gone for a fairly clean mini.
    Nice! Is the standard model or one of those 'Countryman' ones with the double doors for the boot?

• Hi marc.
    Its a mini one a few cosmetic upgrades but a tiny 1.2lt engine road tax is £20 a year hence the fairly clean comment. I like the look of the leccy version, yes the range is not massive but i only do 50 miles a week on average so not so much an issue for me.
  • Hi marc.
    Its a mini one a few cosmetic upgrades but a tiny 1.2lt engine road tax is £20 a year hence the fairly clean comment. I like the look of the leccy version, yes the range is not massive but i only do 50 miles a week on average so not so much an issue for me.
  • Oh I would absolutely love a Tesla @Jon1 but 1. I've got no idea how on earth you would even buy one; do they have showrooms?? and 2. Struggling to find out how much they actually are! A LOT I'm guessing
  • Oh I would absolutely love a Tesla @Jon1 but 1. I've got no idea how on earth you would even buy one; do they have showrooms?? and 2. Struggling to find out how much they actually are! A LOT I'm guessing
  • Where to buy one indeed. Online to configure your design and book a test drive.
    Model 3 starts at 35k
    Model s and x start at 65. Everything os extra you could easily add 15k on basic "upgrades"
  • Where to buy one indeed. Online to configure your design and book a test drive.
    Model 3 starts at 35k
    Model s and x start at 65. Everything os extra you could easily add 15k on basic "upgrades"
  • Or THIS
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Where to buy one indeed. Online to configure your design and book a test drive.
    Model 3 starts at 35k
    Last edited by woz; 02-09-19 at 23:37. Reason: out of my league either way...
  • Or THIS
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Model 3 starts at 35k
    Model 3 starts at 35k
    A bargain!
    Actually £35k isn't so bad, for a new car, is it?

Model 3 starts at 35k
    A bargain!
    Actually £35k isn't so bad, for a new car, is it?

Model 3 starts at 35k
    Saw this and thought of you @Jon1
    The Tesla Model 3 was, according to The Guardian, the 3rd most sold car in the UK last month. Beating the likes of the Ford Focus and the Vauxhall Corsa.
    Times a changing?

Model 3 starts at 35k
    Saw this and thought of you @Jon1
    The Tesla Model 3 was, according to The Guardian, the 3rd most sold car in the UK last month. Beating the likes of the Ford Focus and the Vauxhall Corsa.
    Times a changing?

• I've just been looking at the cars available and the charging networks. Unfortunately it seems like a complete dog's breakfast - there are multiple charging technologies, not compatible with each other and different providers depending where you are.
    I live in Yorkshire, have family in the Southwest, Home Counties, Midlands, North Wales, Northwest and Scotland. It's completely impractical.
    ​I'm very sorry but until the manufacturers sort out a common charging system and the charging networks make it easy for me to use any of their chargers without having to play silly games I'll be sticking to old dirty technology (and I really don't want to).
  • I've just been looking at the cars available and the charging networks. Unfortunately it seems like a complete dog's breakfast - there are multiple charging technologies, not compatible with each other and different providers depending where you are.
    I live in Yorkshire, have family in the Southwest, Home Counties, Midlands, North Wales, Northwest and Scotland. It's completely impractical.
    ​I'm very sorry but until the manufacturers sort out a common charging system and the charging networks make it easy for me to use any of their chargers without having to play silly games I'll be sticking to old dirty technology (and I really don't want to).
  • Quote Originally Posted by timpin View Post
    I've just been looking at the cars available and the charging networks. Unfortunately it seems like a complete dog's breakfast - there are multiple charging technologies, not compatible with each other and different providers depending where you are.
    Good point @timpin
    What you describe is fast charging (which is the important one, of course.
    There's CHAdeMO, CCS Combo and Tesla. My Nissan Leaf uses CHAdeMO and I can't use CCS (which has two variants, depending on country!) or Tesla.
    I think the market will have to decide. For those of us of certain age, ahem, it's a bit like VHS v Betamax from way back
    Looks like the current EVs' range is an issue for you too?

• Quote Originally Posted by timpin View Post
    I've just been looking at the cars available and the charging networks. Unfortunately it seems like a complete dog's breakfast - there are multiple charging technologies, not compatible with each other and different providers depending where you are.
    Good point @timpin
    What you describe is fast charging (which is the important one, of course.
    There's CHAdeMO, CCS Combo and Tesla. My Nissan Leaf uses CHAdeMO and I can't use CCS (which has two variants, depending on country!) or Tesla.
    I think the market will have to decide. For those of us of certain age, ahem, it's a bit like VHS v Betamax from way back
    Looks like the current EVs' range is an issue for you too?

• Now, I'm not advocating anyone sleep at the wheel of their autonomous car.

But.... Is this going to be a common sight soon?

Last edited by Marc; 10-09-19 at 08:40.

• Now, I'm not advocating anyone sleep at the wheel of their autonomous car.

But.... Is this going to be a common sight soon?

• Definitely what I’d love to see 👍👍, totally stress free
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Definitely what I’d love to see 👍👍, totally stress free

WALT WHITMAN
  • @Jon1 @MrSmart

I bought a Tesla 12 months ago. Totally understand your concerns about cost, speccing, testing etc. Happy to answer any questions you have. There are plenty of Tesla owners who happily do a lot of miles without issue because of the supercharger network. Generally our household is low mileage 12K a year, the Tesla has changed that 19K by reducing the cost of travelling. When costing out an electric vehicle it is very important to look at cost of ownership comparison not just headline price. If you have a company and can put it through that it has become an absolute no brainer (if anyone in that boat happy to share incite). Model 3 has brought entry cost down but even used Model S is a good option, particularly getting one with Free Supercharging.

I have just got back from a road trip to the South of France in it. It is safe to say that charging is a concern unless you have a Tesla. There is simply no charging infrastructure even close to quality/quantity/speed of charge/ease of use. The public network is getting better fast but currently not close. 2000 mile road trip, not one charging issue, most of time we were not ready to get back on the road before the car was and most relaxing long distance driving I have ever done (Not just Tesla but EVs are relaxing to drive due to the way they deliver power and move the car or regen and stop). We found a lot of places to stay in France with not only Tesla but also other public charges, the Uk is the same but you definately need the Apps like ZAPMAP to find them.

- - - Updated - - -
    @Marc

You can't actually fall asleep at the wheel of the Tesla and it still drive, it would throw a fit at you if you don't hold the wheel for 5 secs. Obviously that behaviour is currently illegal, however some people actively get round the Tesla system by adding a weight to the steering wheel to avoid the nagging! Having just done my road trip using autopilot as much as possible, I simply cannot wait for a few niggles to be ironed out and legislation to catch up so I can properly relax and let the car drive whilst I do something else
  • @Jon1 @MrSmart

I bought a Tesla 12 months ago. Totally understand your concerns about cost, speccing, testing etc. Happy to answer any questions you have. There are plenty of Tesla owners who happily do a lot of miles without issue because of the supercharger network. Generally our household is low mileage 12K a year, the Tesla has changed that 19K by reducing the cost of travelling. When costing out an electric vehicle it is very important to look at cost of ownership comparison not just headline price. If you have a company and can put it through that it has become an absolute no brainer (if anyone in that boat happy to share incite). Model 3 has brought entry cost down but even used Model S is a good option, particularly getting one with Free Supercharging.

I have just got back from a road trip to the South of France in it. It is safe to say that charging is a concern unless you have a Tesla. There is simply no charging infrastructure even close to quality/quantity/speed of charge/ease of use. The public network is getting better fast but currently not close. 2000 mile road trip, not one charging issue, most of time we were not ready to get back on the road before the car was and most relaxing long distance driving I have ever done (Not just Tesla but EVs are relaxing to drive due to the way they deliver power and move the car or regen and stop). We found a lot of places to stay in France with not only Tesla but also other public charges, the Uk is the same but you definately need the Apps like ZAPMAP to find them.

- - - Updated - - -
    @Marc

You can't actually fall asleep at the wheel of the Tesla and it still drive, it would throw a fit at you if you don't hold the wheel for 5 secs. Obviously that behaviour is currently illegal, however some people actively get round the Tesla system by adding a weight to the steering wheel to avoid the nagging! Having just done my road trip using autopilot as much as possible, I simply cannot wait for a few niggles to be ironed out and legislation to catch up so I can properly relax and let the car drive whilst I do something else
  • Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooby View Post

- - - Updated - - -
    @Marc

I simply cannot wait for a few niggles to be ironed out and legislation to catch up so I can properly relax and let the car drive whilst I do something else

I’d love that 👍👍👍👍

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooby View Post

- - - Updated - - -
    @Marc

I simply cannot wait for a few niggles to be ironed out and legislation to catch up so I can properly relax and let the car drive whilst I do something else

I’d love that 👍👍👍👍

WALT WHITMAN