Poll: Who's going for an electric car soon?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

• Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooby View Post

- - - Updated - - -
    @Marc

You can't actually fall asleep at the wheel of the Tesla and it still drive, it would throw a fit at you if you don't hold the wheel for 5 secs. Obviously that behaviour is currently illegal, however some people actively get round the Tesla system by adding a weight to the steering wheel to avoid the nagging!
    Good to hear it @UncleScooby

I'd be interested to know more about how your Tesla integrates with any other smart home or car gadgets you may have. There's a phone app, I'm sure.
    Is there anyway of 'talking' to the Tesla3 via a Google Home Mini or Amazon Alexa?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

- - - Updated - - -
    @Marc

You can't actually fall asleep at the wheel of the Tesla and it still drive, it would throw a fit at you if you don't hold the wheel for 5 secs. Obviously that behaviour is currently illegal, however some people actively get round the Tesla system by adding a weight to the steering wheel to avoid the nagging!
    Good to hear it @UncleScooby

I'd be interested to know more about how your Tesla integrates with any other smart home or car gadgets you may have. There's a phone app, I'm sure.
    Is there anyway of 'talking' to the Tesla3 via a Google Home Mini or Amazon Alexa?

• @Marc There is no official support for Alexa or Google however there are integrations available, not tried any myself. There is an App for the car. From the app I can control climate, seat heaters, steering wheel heater. I can lock/unlock the car, flash lights, honk horn, open boot/bonnet, turn on valet mode and set a speed limit for the car whilst driven by others (garage mechanics etc). It can start/stop charging, set charge rate and limit and obviously shows details about current charge/rate/current/voltage. I can start updates to the car that come over the air, track its location and summon the car (move it out of parking space etc from app. I can also plan a trip in home and send the route to the car for when I get in. I can also turn on sentry mode which will then use all camera's to monitor the car whilst it is parked up, some one scratches it I get notification and video recorded for me to review (usb stick taken out of car into laptop at the moment).

The car has GPS Based Homelink as well. So I can set a GPS location close to home that I want it to open gates/garage rather than waiting till I get there. With that trigger I can then link into my smart home to do anything I want then, turn on lights, unlock front door etc

And we never know what new stuff can come with each update!

Any specific features you were looking for?
  • @Marc There is no official support for Alexa or Google however there are integrations available, not tried any myself. There is an App for the car. From the app I can control climate, seat heaters, steering wheel heater. I can lock/unlock the car, flash lights, honk horn, open boot/bonnet, turn on valet mode and set a speed limit for the car whilst driven by others (garage mechanics etc). It can start/stop charging, set charge rate and limit and obviously shows details about current charge/rate/current/voltage. I can start updates to the car that come over the air, track its location and summon the car (move it out of parking space etc from app. I can also plan a trip in home and send the route to the car for when I get in. I can also turn on sentry mode which will then use all camera's to monitor the car whilst it is parked up, some one scratches it I get notification and video recorded for me to review (usb stick taken out of car into laptop at the moment).

The car has GPS Based Homelink as well. So I can set a GPS location close to home that I want it to open gates/garage rather than waiting till I get there. With that trigger I can then link into my smart home to do anything I want then, turn on lights, unlock front door etc

And we never know what new stuff can come with each update!

Any specific features you were looking for?
    @Marc There is no official support for Alexa or Google however there are integrations available, not tried any myself. There is an App for the car. From the app I can control climate, seat heaters, steering wheel heater.
    Yep, the Leaf app does the same. I just love being able to turn on the heating on cold mornings from my sofa, so that when I get into the car it's already roasty-toasty.
    I suppose I'm being mega lazy, but asking Siri to warm up the car would be nice.

Also some integration such as lights coming on when the house spots that the car is just pulled into the driveway.

@Marc There is no official support for Alexa or Google however there are integrations available, not tried any myself. There is an App for the car. From the app I can control climate, seat heaters, steering wheel heater.
    Yep, the Leaf app does the same. I just love being able to turn on the heating on cold mornings from my sofa, so that when I get into the car it's already roasty-toasty.
    I suppose I'm being mega lazy, but asking Siri to warm up the car would be nice.

Also some integration such as lights coming on when the house spots that the car is just pulled into the driveway.

• You can do that with IFTTT
    https://www.cnet.com/pictures/how-to-use-ifttt-to-turn-your-lights-on-automatically-when-you-get-home/
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

• You can do that with IFTTT
    https://www.cnet.com/pictures/how-to-use-ifttt-to-turn-your-lights-on-automatically-when-you-get-home/

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    You can do that with IFTTT ​https://www.cnet.com/pictures/how-to-use-ifttt-to-turn-your-lights-on-automatically-when-you-get-home/
    Thanks @woz
    I heard IFTTT was now being dropped (or blocked?) by Google and Amazon? So that the IFTTT recipes won't work with smartphones anymore. Or something

You can do that with IFTTT ​https://www.cnet.com/pictures/how-to-use-ifttt-to-turn-your-lights-on-automatically-when-you-get-home/
    Thanks @woz
    I heard IFTTT was now being dropped (or blocked?) by Google and Amazon? So that the IFTTT recipes won't work with smartphones anymore. Or something

• where did you see that?
  • where did you see that?
  • Yesterday I sold my BMW i3 REX - after running it for over 5 years. This is a pure EV, NOT a hybrid, as it has a small petrol engine to maintain charge on the battery, which drive the car with a direct rear axle electric motor.

I was the first in 2014 to drive an EV from Cambridge to Lands End to John o' Groats to near Lowestoft (easternmost point of the island) and back to Cambridge.

I sold it for nearly 12k after buying it as BMW's first i3 demonstrator sold in UK.

I have sold it for good financial reason (look at the low depreciation!) and because the world of electric cars is on the cusp of a major set of changes and my personal wagon will have to keep up with these.

I am doing high level research into the issues surrounding Hydrogen as a Transport for abundant and unwanted (at source) renewable energy.

If you are deeply interested at a research level do please get in touch. Otherwise I humbly as you to consult i3/electric car./hybrid user groups..

​AVGH
  • Yesterday I sold my BMW i3 REX - after running it for over 5 years. This is a pure EV, NOT a hybrid, as it has a small petrol engine to maintain charge on the battery, which drive the car with a direct rear axle electric motor.

I was the first in 2014 to drive an EV from Cambridge to Lands End to John o' Groats to near Lowestoft (easternmost point of the island) and back to Cambridge.

I sold it for nearly 12k after buying it as BMW's first i3 demonstrator sold in UK.

I have sold it for good financial reason (look at the low depreciation!) and because the world of electric cars is on the cusp of a major set of changes and my personal wagon will have to keep up with these.

I am doing high level research into the issues surrounding Hydrogen as a Transport for abundant and unwanted (at source) renewable energy.

If you are deeply interested at a research level do please get in touch. Otherwise I humbly as you to consult i3/electric car./hybrid user groups..

​AVGH
  • I was the first in 2014 to drive an EV from Cambridge to Lands End to John o' Groats to near Lowestoft (easternmost point of the island) and back to Cambridge.
    This sounds really interesting @AVGH
    Would love to hear more!
    Also, now that you've sold the i3 are you getting something else?

• I was the first in 2014 to drive an EV from Cambridge to Lands End to John o' Groats to near Lowestoft (easternmost point of the island) and back to Cambridge.
    This sounds really interesting @AVGH
    Would love to hear more!
    Also, now that you've sold the i3 are you getting something else?

where did you see that?
    Here 'tis @woz
    Reported by The Verge.
    Looks like something to do with Nest which Google bought a while back.

where did you see that?
    Here 'tis @woz
    Reported by The Verge.

• Agree, I drive 180 miles each way once a month to visit mum - the way I understand it I would have to charge an electric car during this trip.
    Hybrid no advantage (just buy a more economical car)
    My little Aygo is the right chose for my 6000 a year - anyway who has £25000 to invest in a car.
    EV would be nice but by reducing milage ,using less and more economy is the way for me at present.
  • Agree, I drive 180 miles each way once a month to visit mum - the way I understand it I would have to charge an electric car during this trip.
    Hybrid no advantage (just buy a more economical car)
    My little Aygo is the right chose for my 6000 a year - anyway who has £25000 to invest in a car.
    EV would be nice but by reducing milage ,using less and more economy is the way for me at present.
  • Thanks, interesting..(I don't think that will affect what you want to do)

Here 'tis @woz
    Reported by The Verge.
  • Thanks, interesting..(I don't think that will affect what you want to do)

Here 'tis @woz
    Reported by The Verge.
  • Go for Tesla. Model 3 recharges on a Tesla supercharger at 1000 miles an hour ie 200 miles range in 12 mins.
  • Go for Tesla. Model 3 recharges on a Tesla supercharger at 1000 miles an hour ie 200 miles range in 12 mins.
  • I just can't bring myself to getting one just yet. When we can be assured of the cobalt and coltan being conflict free and also free of child labour then it is top of my agenda.

No you are not seeing double, I did post similar on another electric cars post but ya know, I do like to repeat myself. I did find some very helpful informaiton on ethical consumer though and it seems that Ford and Tesla are about the best in their ethics but I'm still on the fence at the moment.

https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/tran.../electric-cars
  • I just can't bring myself to getting one just yet. When we can be assured of the cobalt and coltan being conflict free and also free of child labour then it is top of my agenda.

No you are not seeing double, I did post similar on another electric cars post but ya know, I do like to repeat myself. I did find some very helpful informaiton on ethical consumer though and it seems that Ford and Tesla are about the best in their ethics but I'm still on the fence at the moment.

https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/tran.../electric-cars