• Just switched but.... help!

Just switched, but my contract with my old provider does not end for a further 6 weeks. Got an email to say that Pure Planet will begin new contract in 17 days. Can't see a way to tell them to delay as I don't want an exit charge from my old provider. Any advice welcome... panicking and wodering whether to cancel with Pure P now...
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Just switched, but my contract with my old provider does not end for a further 6 weeks. Got an email to say that Pure Planet will begin new contract in 17 days. Can't see a way to tell them to delay as I don't want an exit charge from my old provider. Any advice welcome... panicking and wodering whether to cancel with Pure P now...
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

hi Nancy
    excerpt from Ofgem document all of which can be seen HERE
    The wording is interesting in the usual Ofgem extremely unhelpful way

The switching window – a period before the end of a fixed-term contract whenconsumers have the right to switch without incurring exit fees (SLC 24.17) – startsfrom either 49 days before the end of a fixed term contract, or when a suppliersends the statement of renewal terms, whichever is earlier.
    Whilst I'm 99.9% sure you'll be OK I would still check with your supplier because they may claim that you used your "right to switch" (-Ofgems words~) outside of the 49 days (They'd have to be brave or stupid to try that one but I'm just being cautious.)
    What you don't want to be is arguing the point afterwards, ask them to confirm, get a name and time and ask them to note it on your file. (so don't panic yet...I'm just doing belt and braces)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    Just switched, but my contract with my old provider does not end for a further 6 weeks. Got an email to say that Pure Planet will begin new contract in 17 days. Can't see a way to tell them to delay as I don't want an exit charge from my old provider. Any advice welcome... panicking and wodering whether to cancel with Pure P now...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by woz; 28-08-19 at 01:38.
  • hi Nancy
    excerpt from Ofgem document all of which can be seen HERE
    The wording is interesting in the usual Ofgem extremely unhelpful way

The switching window – a period before the end of a fixed-term contract whenconsumers have the right to switch without incurring exit fees (SLC 24.17) – startsfrom either 49 days before the end of a fixed term contract, or when a suppliersends the statement of renewal terms, whichever is earlier.
    Whilst I'm 99.9% sure you'll be OK I would still check with your supplier because they may claim that you used your "right to switch" (-Ofgems words~) outside of the 49 days (They'd have to be brave or stupid to try that one but I'm just being cautious.)
    What you don't want to be is arguing the point afterwards, ask them to confirm, get a name and time and ask them to note it on your file. (so don't panic yet...I'm just doing belt and braces)

Attached Images Attached Images  

• Hi Nancy,

If your switching date is within 49 days of your current contract end date..... they will not charge you an exit fee. And if they do, then they will have to refund the amount back to you.
    Gray4276
  • Hi Nancy,

If your switching date is within 49 days of your current contract end date..... they will not charge you an exit fee. And if they do, then they will have to refund the amount back to you.
    Gray4276

• Thanks for this full answer. So All hinges on when Pure notify my supplier rather than the switch day itself. If they delay notifying my after today, I’m within the period so safe either way. I have messaged Pure and hope they get it!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for this. Great to have support from the community.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by Nancy; 28-08-19 at 08:09.
  • Thanks for this full answer. So All hinges on when Pure notify my supplier rather than the switch day itself. If they delay notifying my after today, I’m within the period so safe either way. I have messaged Pure and hope they get it!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

• hi Nancy
    That's not what I said (All hinges on when Pure notify my supplier).
    I think PP will notify the supplier fairly shortly after you've started the switch, but even then isn't clear what the Ofgem statement means. My interpretation is that as long as the switch occurs less than 49 days from the end of the fixed term, you can't be charged. It's precisely because it's written in such an ambiguous way I wanted to bring it to your attention.
    I think you will be Ok but it's not down to PP it's down to what your supplier does. In your case the notification to your supplier to switch will be outside of the 49 days but the switch will be less than 49 days.

Thanks for this full answer. So All hinges on when Pure notify my supplier rather than the switch day itself. If they delay notifying my after today, I’m within the period so safe either way. I have messaged Pure and hope they get it!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

• hi Nancy
    That's not what I said (All hinges on when Pure notify my supplier).
    I think PP will notify the supplier fairly shortly after you've started the switch, but even then isn't clear what the Ofgem statement means. My interpretation is that as long as the switch occurs less than 49 days from the end of the fixed term, you can't be charged. It's precisely because it's written in such an ambiguous way I wanted to bring it to your attention.
    I think you will be Ok but it's not down to PP it's down to what your supplier does. In your case the notification to your supplier to switch will be outside of the 49 days but the switch will be less than 49 days.

Thanks for this full answer. So All hinges on when Pure notify my supplier rather than the switch day itself. If they delay notifying my after today, I’m within the period so safe either way. I have messaged Pure and hope they get it!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -