• Savings?!!

I received an email to register my interest for a Smart Meter today and have duly done so. However, I note the screen displays the following message “Long term, a Smart network will transform the way we use, store and think about our energy use — and help tackle climate change.” That borders on nonsense for probably 99% of users. There is always the implication that a Smart Meter saves money. It doesn’t. It is the user who needs to respond to what the smart meter tells him or her that might result in a saving. I really have my doubts. A smart meter simply makes life easier when it comes to reading the meter and saves the supplier money. There will be a novelty element to see what is being used but are we really expected to believe that everybody will be in horror when they see the usage going up on the meter. What would be far more useful is a reading of what each bit of electrical equipment is using. Possible with some Smart Plugs
    Richard
  • I received an email to register my interest for a Smart Meter today and have duly done so. However, I note the screen displays the following message “Long term, a Smart network will transform the way we use, store and think about our energy use — and help tackle climate change.” That borders on nonsense for probably 99% of users. There is always the implication that a Smart Meter saves money. It doesn’t. It is the user who needs to respond to what the smart meter tells him or her that might result in a saving. I really have my doubts. A smart meter simply makes life easier when it comes to reading the meter and saves the supplier money. There will be a novelty element to see what is being used but are we really expected to believe that everybody will be in horror when they see the usage going up on the meter. What would be far more useful is a reading of what each bit of electrical equipment is using. Possible with some Smart Plugs
    Richard

• hi Richard, I agree with most of what you said.
    The only savings are going to be from the loss of meter readers jobs.
    As you said it's an implication not a promise, but never mind, when you're given the option of being charged a higher unit rate for using your tumble drier (or whatever it is) before midnight (or being charged less for using it after midnight) it will all seem worthwhile.

If only the government had put the resources into insulating homes and reduced the need for gas heating by focusing on renewables for heating.
  • hi Richard, I agree with most of what you said.
    The only savings are going to be from the loss of meter readers jobs.
    As you said it's an implication not a promise, but never mind, when you're given the option of being charged a higher unit rate for using your tumble drier (or whatever it is) before midnight (or being charged less for using it after midnight) it will all seem worthwhile.

If only the government had put the resources into insulating homes and reduced the need for gas heating by focusing on renewables for heating.

• I logged in but it is not to be for me as am told the signal was not strong enough for one to be installed.

I hear the advertisement for these things on Classic FM and it always gets me annoyed for the impression is given these things themselves save money. Of course, in the rushed and hurried little but at the end, like the conditions read out in some adverts, they cover their backsides. The overriding concept the advert projects though is “this device saves you money”. It might if you spend hours looking at it and monitoring what happens when a device is switched on.
    Richard
  • I logged in but it is not to be for me as am told the signal was not strong enough for one to be installed.

I hear the advertisement for these things on Classic FM and it always gets me annoyed for the impression is given these things themselves save money. Of course, in the rushed and hurried little but at the end, like the conditions read out in some adverts, they cover their backsides. The overriding concept the advert projects though is “this device saves you money”. It might if you spend hours looking at it and monitoring what happens when a device is switched on.
    Richard