Poll: Should office workers get free biscuits?

• Should we get free biscuits?

We've got biscuit wars at Pure Planet towers.

Ever since we moved into our new office, there's been a daily supply of free biscuits for the team, as well as porridge, bread (for toast) and a selection of fruit.

It's now been suggested that the biscuits aren't a good idea. (I guess because they're very unhealthy being that they're full of sugar and fat). There's a big selection too - we're talking Jammie Dodgers, McVities with chocolate, fig rolls, choc bourbons, ginger nuts, and so on.

So there are calls for a biscuit ban. Which has upset a couple of guys who like a biscuit with their tea.

What do you think? If employers choose to provide food for the team, should they only supply healthy options?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• We've got biscuit wars at Pure Planet towers.

Ever since we moved into our new office, there's been a daily supply of free biscuits for the team, as well as porridge, bread (for toast) and a selection of fruit.

It's now been suggested that the biscuits aren't a good idea. (I guess because they're very unhealthy being that they're full of sugar and fat). There's a big selection too - we're talking Jammie Dodgers, McVities with chocolate, fig rolls, choc bourbons, ginger nuts, and so on.

So there are calls for a biscuit ban. Which has upset a couple of guys who like a biscuit with their tea.

What do you think? If employers choose to provide food for the team, should they only supply healthy options?

• I'm really torn by this one, I used to love biscuits of any type, BUT, having recently been told I have diabetes, I would now go for the fruit/healthy options. I suppose anybody that needs a biscuit with their brew is always welcome to bring their own
  • I'm really torn by this one, I used to love biscuits of any type, BUT, having recently been told I have diabetes, I would now go for the fruit/healthy options. I suppose anybody that needs a biscuit with their brew is always welcome to bring their own
  • Who suggested it? Let's have names...

Is the bread healthy enough? I hope it's sufficiently high in fibre and not over refined standard white bread.

Some people may want milk on their porridge, is that to be banned for the vegetarians/vegans (I'm sure there will be some)

The answer is choice moderation and education. Those who think biscuits are unhealthy are not forced to have them, and those who do have them should I suppose be moderate in their consumption and aware of the fact that they aren't the healthiest option.

I recently worked somewhere which had eat healthy signs (sic) dotted about the place and jars of sweets in almost every room (bought from the budget)

The answer, nanny state issues aside, is to have some visible literature encouraging all the staff to eat healthily, and not look a gift horse in the mouth (a mouth which might be showing signs of tooth decay).
  • Who suggested it? Let's have names...

Is the bread healthy enough? I hope it's sufficiently high in fibre and not over refined standard white bread.

Some people may want milk on their porridge, is that to be banned for the vegetarians/vegans (I'm sure there will be some)

The answer is choice moderation and education. Those who think biscuits are unhealthy are not forced to have them, and those who do have them should I suppose be moderate in their consumption and aware of the fact that they aren't the healthiest option.

I recently worked somewhere which had eat healthy signs (sic) dotted about the place and jars of sweets in almost every room (bought from the budget)

The answer, nanny state issues aside, is to have some visible literature encouraging all the staff to eat healthily, and not look a gift horse in the mouth (a mouth which might be showing signs of tooth decay).
  • Hi @Marc,

Sounds tricky! My opinion is that no one is being forced to eat the unhealthy biscuits or the healthy fruit, it's personal choice πŸ€—πŸ€”

Look at the sugar content of an orange - 19grams, compared to only 7 grams in a digestive biscuit.

I hope you manage to retain all the options and keep everyone happy πŸ˜‰
  • Hi @Marc,

Sounds tricky! My opinion is that no one is being forced to eat the unhealthy biscuits or the healthy fruit, it's personal choice πŸ€—πŸ€”

Look at the sugar content of an orange - 19grams, compared to only 7 grams in a digestive biscuit.

I hope you manage to retain all the options and keep everyone happy πŸ˜‰
  • Everyone can bring in whatever food they want of course, but when it’s brought in for everybody to eat, it kinda represents the organisation. So in my workplace, which is NHS, years ago it was always biscuits sitting on top of filing cabinets and meeting rooms for all to consume, but any time visitors (ie consultants, GPs, nurses etc) came for meetings, it became a bit of a talking point, re the irony as we’re NHS, so now it’s more about fresh fruit & HERBAL teas.
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Everyone can bring in whatever food they want of course, but when it’s brought in for everybody to eat, it kinda represents the organisation. So in my workplace, which is NHS, years ago it was always biscuits sitting on top of filing cabinets and meeting rooms for all to consume, but any time visitors (ie consultants, GPs, nurses etc) came for meetings, it became a bit of a talking point, re the irony as we’re NHS, so now it’s more about fresh fruit & HERBAL teas.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Who suggested it? Let's have names....
    My lips are sealed.

Agree. We shouldn't blame the biscuit 100%
    Humans need to take some responsibility here!

Who suggested it? Let's have names....
    My lips are sealed.

• Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    now it’s more about fresh fruit & HERBAL teas.
    Black coffee for me please @Bev

• Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    now it’s more about fresh fruit & HERBAL teas.

• Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
    I suppose anybody that needs a biscuit with their brew is always welcome to bring their own
    I get the feeling this is going to be the outcome. So, not a ban as such. But not supplied by the company.

• Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
    I suppose anybody that needs a biscuit with their brew is always welcome to bring their own
    I get the feeling this is going to be the outcome. So, not a ban as such. But not supplied by the company.

• Black coffee another step closer to veganism Marc so that’s a good choice πŸ‘πŸ‘β˜•οΈ. Spot on re no biscuit ban, just not endorsing high sugar foods by bringing them in as β€œsupplied by PP” πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Black coffee another step closer to veganism Marc so that’s a good choice πŸ‘πŸ‘β˜•οΈ. Spot on re no biscuit ban, just not endorsing high sugar foods by bringing them in as β€œsupplied by PP” πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Scubaseahorse View Post
    Whoa! I did not know that @Scubaseahorse
    That's it, ban the oranges!

• Quote Originally Posted by Scubaseahorse View Post
    Whoa! I did not know that @Scubaseahorse
    That's it, ban the oranges!

• That's probably because the Jammy dodgers have stuck them together...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    My lips are sealed.

• That's probably because the Jammy dodgers have stuck them together...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    My lips are sealed.

• Has anyone tweeted Donald T. Rump..........I'm sure he'll be able to tell us where we are all going wrong....😎 🀐 πŸ€‘πŸ€³πŸ‘Œ
    Gray4276
  • Has anyone tweeted Donald T. Rump..........I'm sure he'll be able to tell us where we are all going wrong....😎 🀐 πŸ€‘πŸ€³πŸ‘Œ
    Gray4276
  • The solution is simple.
    Buy a selection box, and after a few days see what ones are left in the tin.
    Those are the ones you should buy in the future.
  • The solution is simple.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post
    The solution is simple.
    Knowing us, they'd all be gone and we'd be left with a few crumbs..
    Oh and the trusty jar of Bisto.

​
  • Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post
    The solution is simple.
    Knowing us, they'd all be gone and we'd be left with a few crumbs..
    Oh and the trusty jar of Bisto.

​
  • Bisto

Well, how about some of that Discworld's Dwarf Bread? It keeps well. In fact it's just as inedible fresh as it is stale.
  • Bisto

Well, how about some of that Discworld's Dwarf Bread? It keeps well. In fact it's just as inedible fresh as it is stale.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hey Marc..... I think you're in need of a Hugg β˜•
    Gray4276
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Gray4276
  • It's a long story...A post was made from PP a while back showing a pic of their biscuit jar and a packet of Bisto was spotted in the photo, no one has yet admitted why it was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post
    Bisto

• It's a long story...A post was made from PP a while back showing a pic of their biscuit jar and a packet of Bisto was spotted in the photo, no one has yet admitted why it was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post
    Bisto

It's a long story...A post was made from PP a while back showing a pic of their biscuit jar and a packet of Bisto was spotted in the photo, no one has yet admitted why it was there.
    @Oakbank evidence here

No one's owned up to whose it is yet!
    Can't imagine bisto would go too well with a custard cream but each to their own...
    It's a long story...A post was made from PP a while back showing a pic of their biscuit jar and a packet of Bisto was spotted in the photo, no one has yet admitted why it was there.
    @Oakbank evidence here

No one's owned up to whose it is yet!
    Can't imagine bisto would go too well with a custard cream but each to their own...
  • ​Aha! The plot thickens . . . like gravy.
  • ​Aha! The plot thickens . . . like gravy.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Thanks @Gray4276
    I think you're right!

• Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Thanks @Gray4276
    I think you're right!