• Smart meter install aborted on the gas - Earthbound

Well the engineer from Magnum arrived half an hour ago to install the smart meters.

Took one look at the had and said "sorry can't do it".

Because the gas meter is earthed he's not allowed to do anything with it.

Given all the comms that went into the appointments, the questions, the "you'll be charged if you're not in" why on earth (no pun intended) was this not checked/asked prior to the appointment going ahead?

Surely just getting people to send a digital pic of the meter (or asking if there is a green and yellow cable attached to it) would of identified this up front??
  • Well the engineer from Magnum arrived half an hour ago to install the smart meters.

Given all the comms that went into the appointments, the questions, the "you'll be charged if you're not in" why on earth (no pun intended) was this not checked/asked prior to the appointment going ahead?

Surely just getting people to send a digital pic of the meter (or asking if there is a green and yellow cable attached to it) would of identified this up front??

• hi cottontop
    I thought the gas pipe (if metal) going to the meter was supposed to be bonded? Are you saying that the earth wire is connected to the actual meter not the pipe?
    Quote Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
    Well the engineer from Magnum arrived half an hour ago to install the smart meters.

• hi cottontop
    I thought the gas pipe (if metal) going to the meter was supposed to be bonded? Are you saying that the earth wire is connected to the actual meter not the pipe?

• Name:  IMG_20190816_125718.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  3.28 MB
    It's connected to the pipe but the chap said he couldn't do anything about it...
    Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    hi cottontop
  • Name:  IMG_20190816_125718.jpg
    It's connected to the pipe but the chap said he couldn't do anything about it...
    hi cottontop

• oh...I see
    My take is he probably isn't insured to move the earth cable and perhaps it isn't long enough to accommodate putting the new meter in although it's hard to know (it looks OK to me). I can't see why he can't leave it in situ only he can answer that.
    Pathetic but he may be technically correct. You're quite right it should have been picked up earlier.
    It's so easily solvable.
    Tell magnum you want a detailed explanation of what they want you to do and why. At the very least the installer should have given you a reason in writing as to why he couldn't proceed and what needed to happen so you could.
    Not good but I bet it happens a lot.

Name:  IMG_20190816_125718.jpg
    Last edited by woz; 16-08-19 at 13:30.
  • oh...I see
    My take is he probably isn't insured to move the earth cable and perhaps it isn't long enough to accommodate putting the new meter in although it's hard to know (it looks OK to me). I can't see why he can't leave it in situ only he can answer that.
    Pathetic but he may be technically correct. You're quite right it should have been picked up earlier.
    It's so easily solvable.
    Tell magnum you want a detailed explanation of what they want you to do and why. At the very least the installer should have given you a reason in writing as to why he couldn't proceed and what needed to happen so you could.
    Not good but I bet it happens a lot.

Name:  IMG_20190816_125718.jpg

• Oh I don't doubt the engineer at all, the fact it wasn't picked up on the extensive process beforehand is a little shocking given the targets suppliers are up against to get these meters on the walls...

oh...I see
    It's so easily solvable.
    Tell magnum you want a detailed explanation of what they want you to do and why.
    Last edited by cottontop; 16-08-19 at 13:45.
  • Oh I don't doubt the engineer at all, the fact it wasn't picked up on the extensive process beforehand is a little shocking given the targets suppliers are up against to get these meters on the walls...

oh...I see
    It's so easily solvable.
    Tell magnum you want a detailed explanation of what they want you to do and why.

• So just been on the phone with Magnum utilities who told me that this isn't s problem they have come across before and they've not been told to ask about this sort of thing !!

When I asked how I should get this resolved, it appears that I have to go to Pure Planet to arrange for them to send out gas distribution to make changes to the set up to allow the Gas smart meter to be installed...

I think we're verging into "you can't make this up" territory...
  • So just been on the phone with Magnum utilities who told me that this isn't s problem they have come across before and they've not been told to ask about this sort of thing !!

When I asked how I should get this resolved, it appears that I have to go to Pure Planet to arrange for them to send out gas distribution to make changes to the set up to allow the Gas smart meter to be installed...

• Firstly I find that hard to believe (never come across it) but then I wonder if they've not come across it because other installers might have quietly taken off the clip and re-attached it, adding all of 30 seconds to the process. (Disclaimer I am not endorsing that sort of thing). No you couldn't make it up...
    So just been on the phone with Magnum utilities who told me that this isn't s problem they have come across before and they've not been told to ask about this sort of thing !!

• Firstly I find that hard to believe (never come across it) but then I wonder if they've not come across it because other installers might have quietly taken off the clip and re-attached it, adding all of 30 seconds to the process. (Disclaimer I am not endorsing that sort of thing). No you couldn't make it up...
    So just been on the phone with Magnum utilities who told me that this isn't s problem they have come across before and they've not been told to ask about this sort of thing !!