• New customer

Hi, I have just switched to pure planet for my new student rented house. I am unsure though why you take payments in advance based on my monthly quote? What would happen if we use more/less energy than estimated? Thanks
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Hi, I have just switched to pure planet for my new student rented house. I am unsure though why you take payments in advance based on my monthly quote? What would happen if we use more/less energy than estimated? Thanks
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

hi Sophie
    The first payment is taken on the day you switch in and the intention is to pay for the energy charges for that month.
    The welcome pack does tell you that.
    When you get your statement after the first month the dd payment appears on that statement and it will look as though the balance is excessive because that payment is intended to pay for the energy for the following month.
    As said you only pay for what you use, so in answer to your question, what happens is the same amount will be taken every month (it goes up in October as it's split warmer/colder months, you do know that?)
    If you've used more than your payment the statement balance will decrease, if you've used less the statement balance will increase.
    Just keep half an eye on whether the payments are covering the usage, it's not a science, it will fluctuate according to weather, cooking, people etc. so don't worry if it's a bit out.
    If the payments don't cover the usage consistently (I'd give it a few months) you'll need to ask for an adjustment.

​When you leave it can take a while for the final bill so if you can remember (this reply), depending on your approximate balance before you leave you should ask pp to reduce the dd as they might take one when you've left (this is not a PP thing it happens everywhere).
    The only reason I mention it is you're a student so I assume cashflow is going to be tight for you.
    Post back if you need more help and happy studying!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie Land View Post
    Hi, I have just switched to pure planet for my new student rented house. I am unsure though why you take payments in advance based on my monthly quote? What would happen if we use more/less energy than estimated? Thanks
  • hi Sophie
    The first payment is taken on the day you switch in and the intention is to pay for the energy charges for that month.
    The welcome pack does tell you that.
    When you get your statement after the first month the dd payment appears on that statement and it will look as though the balance is excessive because that payment is intended to pay for the energy for the following month.
    As said you only pay for what you use, so in answer to your question, what happens is the same amount will be taken every month (it goes up in October as it's split warmer/colder months, you do know that?)
    If you've used more than your payment the statement balance will decrease, if you've used less the statement balance will increase.
    Just keep half an eye on whether the payments are covering the usage, it's not a science, it will fluctuate according to weather, cooking, people etc. so don't worry if it's a bit out.
    If the payments don't cover the usage consistently (I'd give it a few months) you'll need to ask for an adjustment.

​When you leave it can take a while for the final bill so if you can remember (this reply), depending on your approximate balance before you leave you should ask pp to reduce the dd as they might take one when you've left (this is not a PP thing it happens everywhere).
    The only reason I mention it is you're a student so I assume cashflow is going to be tight for you.
    Post back if you need more help and happy studying!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie Land View Post

• Hi,

They will try after the first 3 months and then every 6 months after that to look at your actual usage and predicted usage and will amend the direct debit so you dont over or under pay too much. I say try becuase they have a bit of a backlog so it may be slightly longer, but if you pay and send your readings and feel you are over or under paying then you can ask for a review and they will take a look. It is normal for utilities companies to get paid in advance - gas, electric and water is NOT something you can return
  • Hi,

They will try after the first 3 months and then every 6 months after that to look at your actual usage and predicted usage and will amend the direct debit so you dont over or under pay too much. I say try becuase they have a bit of a backlog so it may be slightly longer, but if you pay and send your readings and feel you are over or under paying then you can ask for a review and they will take a look. It is normal for utilities companies to get paid in advance - gas, electric and water is NOT something you can return

• Quote Originally Posted by Sophie Land View Post
    Just to add to Erika's excellent reply, be assured you can't and won't pay for energy you haven't used.

And an explanation - when you post here you are not talking directly to Pure Planet, but to your fellow customers, who you will find very helpful!

Stephen
  • Quote Originally Posted by Sophie Land View Post
    Just to add to Erika's excellent reply, be assured you can't and won't pay for energy you haven't used.

And an explanation - when you post here you are not talking directly to Pure Planet, but to your fellow customers, who you will find very helpful!

Stephen