• PC Monitors, anyone bought one recently?

Hi Girls and Guys.

As you may, or may not, be aware - I'm currently in the throes of a house reorganisation.

As part of this, I'm merging some of the contents of what was our 'computer room,' into what was previously our 'bedroom' to create a 'crafts/games/entertainment' room.

I moved my PC in and plugged it into my 2009 Era Panasonic TX-37LG10 LCD 'Full-HD' (I remember when those words were new and exciting) TV, both to save space, and hopefully some energy (rather than having a TV and a monitor on) only to find that the text is a wee bit 'fuzzy'.

So, I sought some advice online, at the 'Overclockers' forums without any response.

I then went to Currys/PC World - who advised me that I need to replace my TV with a monitor of similar size, which I then use for both TV and PC duties - but they don't sell them.

So, to get to the point:

Anyone here using a 4K monitor of 37" or slightly larger, which they are also using as a TV?

If so, what did you buy, and how do you find it works for both games and TV?

My intention is to get one that I can then connect the following to.

My PC - via HDMI or Display Port

My Amazon 4K Fire Stick - via HDMI

My Panasonic Freesat Recorder - via HDMI

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance.

Mark
  • Hi Girls and Guys.

As you may, or may not, be aware - I'm currently in the throes of a house reorganisation.

As part of this, I'm merging some of the contents of what was our 'computer room,' into what was previously our 'bedroom' to create a 'crafts/games/entertainment' room.

I moved my PC in and plugged it into my 2009 Era Panasonic TX-37LG10 LCD 'Full-HD' (I remember when those words were new and exciting) TV, both to save space, and hopefully some energy (rather than having a TV and a monitor on) only to find that the text is a wee bit 'fuzzy'.

So, I sought some advice online, at the 'Overclockers' forums without any response.

I then went to Currys/PC World - who advised me that I need to replace my TV with a monitor of similar size, which I then use for both TV and PC duties - but they don't sell them.

So, to get to the point:

Anyone here using a 4K monitor of 37" or slightly larger, which they are also using as a TV?

Mark
  • Did you select PC as the input on the source list?
    What's your viewing distance when using the PC?
    Have you checked what the computer is outputting, refresh rate, resolution, adjusted cleartype (if applicable)?

​Are you sure you've quoted the model number of the TV correctly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyndy View Post
    Hi Girls and Guys.

So, to get to the point:

Mark
    Last edited by woz; 10-08-19 at 22:12.
  • Did you select PC as the input on the source list?
    Have you checked what the computer is outputting, refresh rate, resolution, adjusted cleartype (if applicable)?

Hi Girls and Guys.

So, to get to the point:

Mark
  • Hi Woz

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Did you select PC as the input on the source list?
    I don't have a specific PC Input, it's got 4 HDMI Ins, just labelled as HDMI 1 to HDMI 4

Approximately 150 cm - 175 cm at the moment.

Computer says it's outputting 1920*1080 at 60Hz, 8 Bit, SDR.
    Cleartype is on, and I have adjusted, I will check it again tomorrow.

TX-37LG10 LCD seems to be what's on the label on the back, but it's hard for me to get to as the TV is wall mounted.

Try 'TX-37G10' as that's what used to be Panasonic's system.
    Spec:
    • 37 " Diagonal Screen Size (Inch)
    • 80 cm Visible Diagonal Screen Size
    • 16 : 9 Wide Aspect Ratio
    • 50,000:1 Contrast Ratio
    • 178 Degree Viewing Angle
    • 100Hz
    • 1080p resolution
    • 1920x1080 pixels
    • 24P (Frames Per Second) Playback
    • Full 1080p HD
    • VIERA
    • V Real Pro 4
    • Game Mode
    • 100 Hz Picture Processing

The guy in Curry's/PC World reckoned the issue was that the TV just isn't reacting fast enough, because it's not designed to keep up with modern graphics cards, and that a proper monitor would solve it. Overclockers, who supplied my PC, suggested I get one of these,
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer-et430k-43-3840x2160-4k-ips-60hz-widescreen-led-gaming-monitor-mo-13e-ac.html, but I'm not sure a 37" TV is the right answer, going to a 43" monitor sounds like severe overkill.

Thanks for the help.

Mark
    Last edited by Gwyndy; 11-08-19 at 00:38.
  • Hi Woz

Did you select PC as the input on the source list?
    I don't have a specific PC Input, it's got 4 HDMI Ins, just labelled as HDMI 1 to HDMI 4

Approximately 150 cm - 175 cm at the moment.

Computer says it's outputting 1920*1080 at 60Hz, 8 Bit, SDR.
    Cleartype is on, and I have adjusted, I will check it again tomorrow.

TX-37LG10 LCD seems to be what's on the label on the back, but it's hard for me to get to as the TV is wall mounted.

Try 'TX-37G10' as that's what used to be Panasonic's system.
    Spec:
    • 37 " Diagonal Screen Size (Inch)
    • 80 cm Visible Diagonal Screen Size
    • 16 : 9 Wide Aspect Ratio
    • 50,000:1 Contrast Ratio
    • 178 Degree Viewing Angle
    • 100Hz
    • 1080p resolution
    • 1920x1080 pixels
    • 24P (Frames Per Second) Playback
    • Full 1080p HD
    • VIERA
    • V Real Pro 4
    • Game Mode
    • 100 Hz Picture Processing

The guy in Curry's/PC World reckoned the issue was that the TV just isn't reacting fast enough, because it's not designed to keep up with modern graphics cards, and that a proper monitor would solve it. Overclockers, who supplied my PC, suggested I get one of these,
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer-et430k-43-3840x2160-4k-ips-60hz-widescreen-led-gaming-monitor-mo-13e-ac.html, but I'm not sure a 37" TV is the right answer, going to a 43" monitor sounds like severe overkill.

Thanks for the help.

Mark
  • hi Mark
    If you go to the input select it should be there -There is a setting for PC. (maybe P24 of user manual ?) Also see P48. menu,setup,display settings
    You should also try changing the refresh on the PC to 50Hz,
    You may also need to look at the contrast and brightness settings on the TV
    If you're expecting it to look like your 15"or whatever size your laptop screen currently is, it won't ever.
    Neither will a new TV.
    (Not sure about your PC, does it have the intel Graphics and Media or similar/equivalent settings in control panel?
    There may be tweaks you can do there to improve things.)
    Last edited by woz; 11-08-19 at 00:57.
  • hi Mark
    If you go to the input select it should be there -There is a setting for PC. (maybe P24 of user manual ?) Also see P48. menu,setup,display settings
    If you're expecting it to look like your 15"or whatever size your laptop screen currently is, it won't ever.
    Neither will a new TV.
    (Not sure about your PC, does it have the intel Graphics and Media or similar/equivalent settings in control panel?
  • Hi Woz

To clarify, yes there is a specific 'PC input' on the back, it's an old VGA type connector, I presume that is what the setting for PC is in 'Input Select.'

Considering that I have a less than 2 year old PC, with a GTX1070 in it, sticking it into the VGA port would require some 'fiddling' as I only have DisplayPort, HDMI, and DVI outs.

I'll have another look at changing the settings on my GTX1070.

I fiddled with the contrast and brightness settings when I set it up.'Game' mode on the TV helped slightly, as did changing the sharpness, but neither was a total fix.

Prior to this the PC was plugged into a 24" 1920*1080, 60Hz ASUS monitor from 2011 https://www.asus.com/Monitors/VS247H/

As, at least in terms of most of its specs, the TV is just a much larger version of the monitor, I didn't expect it to provide such issues to be honest.

Regards
    Mark

hi Mark
    Neither will a new TV.
    Last edited by Gwyndy; 11-08-19 at 01:23.
  • Hi Woz

To clarify, yes there is a specific 'PC input' on the back, it's an old VGA type connector, I presume that is what the setting for PC is in 'Input Select.'

Considering that I have a less than 2 year old PC, with a GTX1070 in it, sticking it into the VGA port would require some 'fiddling' as I only have DisplayPort, HDMI, and DVI outs.

I'll have another look at changing the settings on my GTX1070.

I fiddled with the contrast and brightness settings when I set it up.'Game' mode on the TV helped slightly, as did changing the sharpness, but neither was a total fix.

Prior to this the PC was plugged into a 24" 1920*1080, 60Hz ASUS monitor from 2011 https://www.asus.com/Monitors/VS247H/

As, at least in terms of most of its specs, the TV is just a much larger version of the monitor, I didn't expect it to provide such issues to be honest.

Regards
    Mark

hi Mark
    Neither will a new TV.
  • ahhh misunderstood I thought the pc setting referred to using the hdmi from a pc, I hadn’t realised it actually had a vga input, never thought to check, so maybe that’s not the answer. It won’t be better on vga.
    Also it won’t make any difference but just to eliminate i’d try a different hdmi cable. Yes I know it’s digital...
    Without seeing what the issue is it’s very hard to diagnose, it may be due to a mismatch between pixel structure of the monitor and the op of the pc, there may be some tweaking to be done, but you do realise that the pixel density of your tv is much lower than your monitor so it won’t ever look as good, which is why I asked how far away you sit. google lagom, may help diagnosis.
    Last edited by woz; 11-08-19 at 02:37.
  • ahhh misunderstood I thought the pc setting referred to using the hdmi from a pc, I hadn’t realised it actually had a vga input, never thought to check, so maybe that’s not the answer. It won’t be better on vga.
    Also it won’t make any difference but just to eliminate i’d try a different hdmi cable. Yes I know it’s digital...
    Without seeing what the issue is it’s very hard to diagnose, it may be due to a mismatch between pixel structure of the monitor and the op of the pc, there may be some tweaking to be done, but you do realise that the pixel density of your tv is much lower than your monitor so it won’t ever look as good, which is why I asked how far away you sit. google lagom, may help diagnosis.
  • Hi Wiz

That was part of why I asked about 4K monitors, the only way I could see to get the 'sharpness' back after fiddling with the settings, was by getting the density back up.

I've tried two HDMI cables, but I will get another one just in case.I have plenty of them, unfortunately most of them aren't long enough to reach the back of the TV as the PC is at the 'wrong' side.

Thanks again.

Mark
    Last edited by Gwyndy; 11-08-19 at 09:01.
  • Hi Wiz

That was part of why I asked about 4K monitors, the only way I could see to get the 'sharpness' back after fiddling with the settings, was by getting the density back up.

I've tried two HDMI cables, but I will get another one just in case.I have plenty of them, unfortunately most of them aren't long enough to reach the back of the TV as the PC is at the 'wrong' side.

Thanks again.

Mark
  • Whats a PC???
    Last time i heard that said, he was chasing me down the high street.
  • Whats a PC???
  • I wish could delete my original reply, the PC setting is for the VGA, I should have realised. Sorry about that a stupid moment. Also now rechecked with what I think is the correct manual and it quotes 1080 60 so no point in trying 50 refresh it won't help.
    ​That out of the way now, how a 4k tv handles (scaling and colour compression) the computer op will vary and the only way to know if it will be satisfactory is to try it.
    The lack of sharpness is almost certainly a result of the chroma subsampling done by the TV, some are better than others, some have menu settings.
    Do you have any friends? If so do any of them have large screen TVs
    Are they grumpy gits like us or if you ask them nicely do you think they might allow you to plug your laptop into one of their hdmi sockets. (better not to tweak any of their settings though - might upset them...)

​Thanks for the wiz....
    Hi Wiz

Thanks again.

Mark
    Last edited by woz; 11-08-19 at 13:45.
  • I wish could delete my original reply, the PC setting is for the VGA, I should have realised. Sorry about that a stupid moment. Also now rechecked with what I think is the correct manual and it quotes 1080 60 so no point in trying 50 refresh it won't help.
    ​That out of the way now, how a 4k tv handles (scaling and colour compression) the computer op will vary and the only way to know if it will be satisfactory is to try it.
    The lack of sharpness is almost certainly a result of the chroma subsampling done by the TV, some are better than others, some have menu settings.
    Do you have any friends? If so do any of them have large screen TVs
    Are they grumpy gits like us or if you ask them nicely do you think they might allow you to plug your laptop into one of their hdmi sockets. (better not to tweak any of their settings though - might upset them...)

​Thanks for the wiz....
    Hi Wiz

Thanks again.

Mark
  • 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂Wiz😂😂😂😂 😂
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂Wiz😂😂😂😂 😂

WALT WHITMAN
  • Try different PC resolutions and fonts / font sizes on the PC

1280 x 720 might result in a better picture. But I would enlarge the font / zoom / icons in the PC settings first.
  • Try different PC resolutions and fonts / font sizes on the PC

1280 x 720 might result in a better picture. But I would enlarge the font / zoom / icons in the PC settings first.
  • I don’t think a 4K TV would make any difference. And while there is some truth is what curry’s are saying, they’ll just want to sell you something new.
  • I don’t think a 4K TV would make any difference. And while there is some truth is what curry’s are saying, they’ll just want to sell you something new.
  • haha
    ​That's 2 wiz's may have to change my name...I wish I could live up to it!
    ​Surprised you didn't comment on the mixalots...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    ���������������� ���������������� ��������Wiz������� ���������������� ������������
  • haha
    ​That's 2 wiz's may have to change my name...I wish I could live up to it!
    ​Surprised you didn't comment on the mixalots...
    ���������������� ���������������� ��������Wiz������� ���������������� ������������
  • was that before or after the knife incident?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Whats a PC???
  • was that before or after the knife incident?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Whats a PC???
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    was that before or after the knife incident?
    It was in a similar time frame as i was actually chasing someone else down the road, who had just tried to rob a premises we were monitoring and the poor booby on his beat presumed i was one of the robbers.
    High speed back up patrol car caught me and the thief needless to say i was arrested until the firms lawyer cleared it all up.
    Doing that job did see me arrested several times while staking out places, usually coz some sweet old bird phoned the bizzies as i was acting suspicious.
    Sadly now days i think most people would simply turn a blind eye to it.
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    was that before or after the knife incident?
    It was in a similar time frame as i was actually chasing someone else down the road, who had just tried to rob a premises we were monitoring and the poor booby on his beat presumed i was one of the robbers.
    High speed back up patrol car caught me and the thief needless to say i was arrested until the firms lawyer cleared it all up.
    Doing that job did see me arrested several times while staking out places, usually coz some sweet old bird phoned the bizzies as i was acting suspicious.
    Sadly now days i think most people would simply turn a blind eye to it.
  • “Booby” 😂😂😂😂😂😂

WALT WHITMAN
  • “Booby” 😂😂😂😂😂😂

WALT WHITMAN
  • LOL
    Name:  walkingbooby-r.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  59.7 KB
    “Booby” ���������������� ���������������� ��
  • LOL
    Name:  walkingbooby-r.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  59.7 KB
    “Booby” ���������������� ���������������� ��
  • I never realised how incredibly juvenile I was til I joined PP 😂😂😂😂 (I did really 😂🙃😂👍), such a child 😂😂😂😂

WALT WHITMAN
  • I never realised how incredibly juvenile I was til I joined PP 😂😂😂😂 (I did really 😂🙃😂👍), such a child 😂😂😂😂

WALT WHITMAN
  • Adds....

Well, this discussion went a wee bit off-track didn't it?

My apologies for the typo Wiz/Woz.

Mark

I'll continue researching the various options.
    As Curry's categorically told me that I needed a big 4K Monitor to replace the TV, not a 4K TV - and that they could not sell me one, either in-store or online, I suspect the Assistant Manager I spoke had little to gain from advising me.

Apparently, Currys/PC World had reached the conclusion that no-one was buying large 4K monitors, so they had sold all their stock off at a discount a month or two back.
    Last edited by Gwyndy; 12-08-19 at 12:43.
  • Well, this discussion went a wee bit off-track didn't it?

My apologies for the typo Wiz/Woz.

Mark

I'll continue researching the various options.
    As Curry's categorically told me that I needed a big 4K Monitor to replace the TV, not a 4K TV - and that they could not sell me one, either in-store or online, I suspect the Assistant Manager I spoke had little to gain from advising me.

Apparently, Currys/PC World had reached the conclusion that no-one was buying large 4K monitors, so they had sold all their stock off at a discount a month or two back.
  • Come to think of it PP hq have big ass tv with a laptop connected ask marc for details.
  • Come to think of it PP hq have big ass tv with a laptop connected ask marc for details.