• Unknown Address On National Electricity Database

Afternoon all,

My time as a possible customer for Pure Planet lasted all of 3 days. Aparently my address isn't on the National Electricity Database so PP can't have me as a customer unless I start mithering my existing supplier for information.

The house has been here for 13 years and during that time we've switched electricity and gas suppliers 5 times. We've never had an issue before, it's just sailed straight through.

I wanted to give PP a chance, especially as they're a supplier of green energy but if they can't even find my address I can't really trust them to supply utilities.

Hope you all have better luck than I did.
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Afternoon all,

My time as a possible customer for Pure Planet lasted all of 3 days. Aparently my address isn't on the National Electricity Database so PP can't have me as a customer unless I start mithering my existing supplier for information.

The house has been here for 13 years and during that time we've switched electricity and gas suppliers 5 times. We've never had an issue before, it's just sailed straight through.

I wanted to give PP a chance, especially as they're a supplier of green energy but if they can't even find my address I can't really trust them to supply utilities.

Hope you all have better luck than I did.
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Quote Originally Posted by 1cheesepasty View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply woz.

I've already sent PP photos of my meters and the last time they were changed was nearly two years ago when they went smart. My major concern is if PP have an out of date copy of the address database, what other sort of IT issues might they have storing customers' financial information?

Couple all that in with us never having problems switching before and the long list of customer contact issues mentioned on this forum and I get the feeling that I'd be better off with a more mainstream supplier.
    Hi @1cheesepasty
    Welcome to the community!
    Nice one for posting and for getting stuck in.
    The database we use is used by all energy suppliers. And only the current energy supplier can update it with new meter details.
    It is possible that when your meters were changed two years ago they didn't update the database. That does happen, alas. If you ask your current supplier to check it out, and change it, we'll be able to take you on.
    ​Happy to keep chatting here too of course!
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by 1cheesepasty View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply woz.

I've already sent PP photos of my meters and the last time they were changed was nearly two years ago when they went smart. My major concern is if PP have an out of date copy of the address database, what other sort of IT issues might they have storing customers' financial information?

Couple all that in with us never having problems switching before and the long list of customer contact issues mentioned on this forum and I get the feeling that I'd be better off with a more mainstream supplier.
    Hi @1cheesepasty
    Nice one for posting and for getting stuck in.
    The database we use is used by all energy suppliers. And only the current energy supplier can update it with new meter details.
    It is possible that when your meters were changed two years ago they didn't update the database. That does happen, alas. If you ask your current supplier to check it out, and change it, we'll be able to take you on.
    ​Happy to keep chatting here too of course!

• hi pasty

Go to wattbot type message the team - give your details and send a photo of both of your meters showing the serial nos. Also if you can quote your mpan and mprn found on recent bills that might help too. Someone will get back to you with a fix or an explanation.
    I suppose I have to ask given the tone of your post whether you would trust them even if they fixed the problem?
    ​ How do you know that it’s something Pp have done which has caused the issue?

Have either of the meters been changed recently?
    Many thousands of customers have had better luck including me but **** happens sometimes...
    Last edited by woz; 08-08-19 at 17:41.
  • hi pasty

Go to wattbot type message the team - give your details and send a photo of both of your meters showing the serial nos. Also if you can quote your mpan and mprn found on recent bills that might help too. Someone will get back to you with a fix or an explanation.
    I suppose I have to ask given the tone of your post whether you would trust them even if they fixed the problem?
    ​ How do you know that it’s something Pp have done which has caused the issue?

Have either of the meters been changed recently?
    Many thousands of customers have had better luck including me but **** happens sometimes...

• Thanks for the quick reply woz.

• Thanks for the quick reply woz.

• hi
    PP haven’t really been going long enough to have a seriously out of date database, and if it was me I would want to get to the bottom of the problem only to satisfy myself that there wasn’t some other underlying issue. It’s also entirely possible that they may have a more up to date version which now has an error on it(not saying that’s the issue) so pursue it and they will do what they can to solve the issue.
    Even if you decide not to join I’d want to know what’s gone wrong...
    Im not blindly defending pp, I just trying to take a pragmatic approach.
    It wouldn’t hurt to double check the details with your current supplier they may have some sort of database reference or clue which may help.
  • hi
    PP haven’t really been going long enough to have a seriously out of date database, and if it was me I would want to get to the bottom of the problem only to satisfy myself that there wasn’t some other underlying issue. It’s also entirely possible that they may have a more up to date version which now has an error on it(not saying that’s the issue) so pursue it and they will do what they can to solve the issue.
    Even if you decide not to join I’d want to know what’s gone wrong...
    Im not blindly defending pp, I just trying to take a pragmatic approach.
    It wouldn’t hurt to double check the details with your current supplier they may have some sort of database reference or clue which may help.

• Sorry woz, life's too short to start wasting time on running around on PPs behalf. If they wanted my custom, they could have sorted it out themselves or even called to let me know more about the problem. Just to emphasize, no other suppliers have ever had any issues.
  • Sorry woz, life's too short to start wasting time on running around on PPs behalf. If they wanted my custom, they could have sorted it out themselves or even called to let me know more about the problem. Just to emphasize, no other suppliers have ever had any issues.

• It wasn’t a binary choice I suggested I said PP would look into it for you and suggested how you might help. I’m not sure why the attitude, have they refused to help?
    Sorry woz, life's too short to start wasting time on running around on PPs behalf. If they wanted my custom, they could have sorted it out themselves or even called to let me know more about the problem. Just to emphasize, no other suppliers have ever had any issues.
  • It wasn’t a binary choice I suggested I said PP would look into it for you and suggested how you might help. I’m not sure why the attitude, have they refused to help?
    Sorry woz, life's too short to start wasting time on running around on PPs behalf. If they wanted my custom, they could have sorted it out themselves or even called to let me know more about the problem. Just to emphasize, no other suppliers have ever had any issues.

• Here's the deal. I've just been on the MSE Cheap Energy website and signed up with another new provider. If they can't find my address on their database, I'll try again with PP. Fair?

Oh, and here's the feedback I had from PP.

Thanks for sending photos of your meters.

We’re unable to finish your switch at the moment. On the national electricity database that we use to access your meter information, it shows a different address to the one on your quote.

Please contact your current supplier and ask them to update the national database for your electricity supply. It can take a few weeks, and only your current supplier can do this (otherwise I’d be happy to help).
    Last edited by 1cheesepasty; 08-08-19 at 18:49.
  • Here's the deal. I've just been on the MSE Cheap Energy website and signed up with another new provider. If they can't find my address on their database, I'll try again with PP. Fair?

We’re unable to finish your switch at the moment. On the national electricity database that we use to access your meter information, it shows a different address to the one on your quote.

Please contact your current supplier and ask them to update the national database for your electricity supply. It can take a few weeks, and only your current supplier can do this (otherwise I’d be happy to help).

• Hi 1cheesepasty

As I understand it from when I was with my previous supplier, the National Database is held centrally, it's not held by a supplier.

Addresses on that database should, if my experiences with the NHS be anything to go by, be based on the official Post Office records - PAF

Is it possible that the address registered to your meter's details have somehow been changed on the database by accident?

Is there anything different in your address to the registered address listed on your utility bills? It doesn't have to be something you would automatically spot.

An extra house name or number for example?

Full stops or commas in your address that are not in the Post Office's copy.

Do you state you live in an 'old name' for your county?

In many cases, PAF does not even use county titles only using town and postcode.

PAF is a PITA when something doesn't match the Post Office's records, it's not an 'intelligent system' it only checks the address entered against the one on the database, if they don't match exactly it throws it out.
    When I was in the NHS we had to be 'adjust' them manually at the client end - it's possible someone at the Central Database has to do the same thing.

Patients used to be a complete pain in the posterior for insisting that they lived in the 'posher' part of an area, when the Post Office said they didn't (I worked in Hampshire, you can imagine how many people on the border wanted to be in Surrey.)

It could be worth you looking up your 'official address' on the Royal Mail's postcode/address checker - and making sure it matches the one you supplied when you got your quote.

If any of these things don't match, only two things can be done so far as I'm aware.

1: You change the address you have used for your quote to match the Post Office's.

2: You ask your current supplier to change the details of the Central Database's copy of PAF to match the ones you use,
    ​As detailed in the message from Pure Planet - only your registered supplier can change that information to stop someone trying to take over your account without your permission.

Regards
    Gwynd

Been there, done that, been sworn at a lot.
    Last edited by Gwyndy; 08-08-19 at 21:15. Reason: Editing on phone app is up the swannee.
  • Hi 1cheesepasty

As I understand it from when I was with my previous supplier, the National Database is held centrally, it's not held by a supplier.

Addresses on that database should, if my experiences with the NHS be anything to go by, be based on the official Post Office records - PAF

Is it possible that the address registered to your meter's details have somehow been changed on the database by accident?

Is there anything different in your address to the registered address listed on your utility bills? It doesn't have to be something you would automatically spot.

An extra house name or number for example?

Full stops or commas in your address that are not in the Post Office's copy.

Do you state you live in an 'old name' for your county?

In many cases, PAF does not even use county titles only using town and postcode.

PAF is a PITA when something doesn't match the Post Office's records, it's not an 'intelligent system' it only checks the address entered against the one on the database, if they don't match exactly it throws it out.
    When I was in the NHS we had to be 'adjust' them manually at the client end - it's possible someone at the Central Database has to do the same thing.

Patients used to be a complete pain in the posterior for insisting that they lived in the 'posher' part of an area, when the Post Office said they didn't (I worked in Hampshire, you can imagine how many people on the border wanted to be in Surrey.)

It could be worth you looking up your 'official address' on the Royal Mail's postcode/address checker - and making sure it matches the one you supplied when you got your quote.

If any of these things don't match, only two things can be done so far as I'm aware.

1: You change the address you have used for your quote to match the Post Office's.

2: You ask your current supplier to change the details of the Central Database's copy of PAF to match the ones you use,
    ​As detailed in the message from Pure Planet - only your registered supplier can change that information to stop someone trying to take over your account without your permission.

Regards
    Gwynd

Been there, done that, been sworn at a lot.

• Have you considered putting your talent to work to negotiate a leaving deal with the EU?
    Here's the deal. I've just been on the MSE Cheap Energy website and signed up with another new provider. If they can't find my address on their database, I'll try again with PP. Fair?

• Have you considered putting your talent to work to negotiate a leaving deal with the EU?
    Here's the deal. I've just been on the MSE Cheap Energy website and signed up with another new provider. If they can't find my address on their database, I'll try again with PP. Fair?

• Leaving it a bit late now?
  • Leaving it a bit late now?

• Name:  lemmings.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  52.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyndy View Post
    Leaving it a bit late now?
  • Name:  lemmings.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  52.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyndy View Post
    Leaving it a bit late now?

• I have just signed up with PP, but our house name is the old one. My current supplier has the new name, but PP seems to have the old one. Do I have to cancel too? -
  • I have just signed up with PP, but our house name is the old one. My current supplier has the new name, but PP seems to have the old one. Do I have to cancel too? -

• Quote Originally Posted by MalvernMamma View Post
    I have just signed up with PP, but our house name is the old one. My current supplier has the new name, but PP seems to have the old one. Do I have to cancel too? -
    Hi @MalvernMamma
    Thanks for posting.
    Just checking that this has been sorted?

• Quote Originally Posted by MalvernMamma View Post
    I have just signed up with PP, but our house name is the old one. My current supplier has the new name, but PP seems to have the old one. Do I have to cancel too? -
    Hi @MalvernMamma
    Thanks for posting.
    Just checking that this has been sorted?