• Want to do your bit to fight climate change? UN scientists say eat more plants

A new report from the United Nations says more people need to switch to a “plant-based” diet to combat climate change.

The UN has ‘stopped short’ of saying we all need to become vegan, but especially in the West we need to significantly reduce the amount of meat we eat.

UN scientists, the BBC reports, say if we ate less meat then the land could be used more effectively, and store more of the carbon emitted by humans.

Livestock rearing also contributes to global warming through the methane gas the animals produce, but also via deforestation to expand pastures, for example.

Name:  Impact of food on environment graphic.PNG
Views: 28
Size:  80.6 KB

Has anyone thought about reducing the amount of meat you eat?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• A new report from the United Nations says more people need to switch to a “plant-based” diet to combat climate change.

The UN has ‘stopped short’ of saying we all need to become vegan, but especially in the West we need to significantly reduce the amount of meat we eat.

UN scientists, the BBC reports, say if we ate less meat then the land could be used more effectively, and store more of the carbon emitted by humans.

Livestock rearing also contributes to global warming through the methane gas the animals produce, but also via deforestation to expand pastures, for example.

Name:  Impact of food on environment graphic.PNG
Views: 28
Size:  80.6 KB

Has anyone thought about reducing the amount of meat you eat?

• I was hearing about PEA milk yesterday too, may try it, I can deffo see myself being fully vegan quite soon. I’ve been veggie over 30 years but the transition to vegan has been more gradual. Started end Jan this year, may be fully vegan by end of year but not putting timescale on it.
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • I was hearing about PEA milk yesterday too, may try it, I can deffo see myself being fully vegan quite soon. I’ve been veggie over 30 years but the transition to vegan has been more gradual. Started end Jan this year, may be fully vegan by end of year but not putting timescale on it.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    I was hearing about PEA milk yesterday too, may try it, I can deffo see myself being fully vegan quite soon. I’ve been veggie over 30 years but the transition to vegan has been more gradual. Started end Jan this year, may be fully vegan by end of year but not putting timescale on it.
    Sounds like you're already doing more than enough @Bev
    No need to force it. Is it cheese that's stopping you from going the Full Monty?

• Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    I was hearing about PEA milk yesterday too, may try it, I can deffo see myself being fully vegan quite soon. I’ve been veggie over 30 years but the transition to vegan has been more gradual. Started end Jan this year, may be fully vegan by end of year but not putting timescale on it.
    Sounds like you're already doing more than enough @Bev
    No need to force it. Is it cheese that's stopping you from going the Full Monty?

• I haven’t struggled to eat less 🧀🧀🧀to be fair Marc, and I hardly touch eggs, but to go vegan 100% like I did when going veggie, and not be able to just have the occasional cheese in a recipe when needed or fancied it, yes it’s prob that at the moment that is meaning I’m only 90% there. I’m there with all the soya milks and yoghurts and love all the vegan produce like the fish and plant burgers. It’s deffo doable and I’m close, but not yet labelling myself vegan until can give it 110% yes.

WALT WHITMAN
  • I haven’t struggled to eat less 🧀🧀🧀to be fair Marc, and I hardly touch eggs, but to go vegan 100% like I did when going veggie, and not be able to just have the occasional cheese in a recipe when needed or fancied it, yes it’s prob that at the moment that is meaning I’m only 90% there. I’m there with all the soya milks and yoghurts and love all the vegan produce like the fish and plant burgers. It’s deffo doable and I’m close, but not yet labelling myself vegan until can give it 110% yes.

WALT WHITMAN
  • A Uni in London has just banned the sale of hamburgers to help tackle climate change, as part of their aim to become carbon neutral by 2025.

Should more universities follow suit?
  • A Uni in London has just banned the sale of hamburgers to help tackle climate change, as part of their aim to become carbon neutral by 2025.

Should more universities follow suit?
  • I don't think it will make much difference, wherever there is a uni, there is normally a plethora of fast food establishments nearby
  • I don't think it will make much difference, wherever there is a uni, there is normally a plethora of fast food establishments nearby