• Solar Panels

Hi Folks,

I am looking to get solar panels fitted and am having a survey done soon.

What things should I look out for?

Thanks.
    X Driver
  • Hi Folks,

I am looking to get solar panels fitted and am having a survey done soon.

What things should I look out for?

Thanks.
    X Driver

• Hi x driver.
    Thats could be a long list, price,pitch, buy or lease.
  • Hi x driver.
    Thats could be a long list, price,pitch, buy or lease.

• Hi there

My first thought was that in financial terms this is the worst time to install solar panels! The subsidies have just ended, and the replacement scheme is yet to start. It's just possible that with the collapse in the market the government has created, you might find that companies are willing to cut prices to get some business.
    Otherwise, though it's not quite fully up-to-date, this link has loads of helpful info
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ut...-solar-panels/
    It's focused, though not completely, on finance. With a current estimate of 75 years to recoup the outlay, you've certainly got to be environmentally committed to go for this investment. Hopefully the replacement government scheme will improve things sooner rather than later.

Best of luck
    Stephen
  • Hi there

My first thought was that in financial terms this is the worst time to install solar panels! The subsidies have just ended, and the replacement scheme is yet to start. It's just possible that with the collapse in the market the government has created, you might find that companies are willing to cut prices to get some business.
    Otherwise, though it's not quite fully up-to-date, this link has loads of helpful info
    It's focused, though not completely, on finance. With a current estimate of 75 years to recoup the outlay, you've certainly got to be environmentally committed to go for this investment. Hopefully the replacement government scheme will improve things sooner rather than later.

Best of luck
    Stephen

• Quote Originally Posted by stephenrand View Post
    Hi there

Best of luck
    Stephen

Hi Stephen,

That is a good article from MSE which as you say slightly out of date, but is a good reminder about planning, insurance and the fact that a subsidised system used to cost 10-12K and now sells for 6k.

I did a break even analysis under the now expired government scheme and could have been (with lots 'n' lots of sun,) maybe in profit after 27.?? years. The scheme was flawed in many ways and it probably should have stopped earlier.

The Feed In Tariff will or has been replaced by the Smart Export Guarantee which I think will be generating industry rather than Government run and may or may not start (or be fully implemented) next year and may or may not be 3.97p per KW.

I'll do my break even analysis after the rep has gone or I could go part off grid with a Caravan/Boat/shed system of panel, inverter and battery.

Thanks for helping me get focused.

X Driver
    Hi there

Best of luck
    Stephen

Hi Stephen,

That is a good article from MSE which as you say slightly out of date, but is a good reminder about planning, insurance and the fact that a subsidised system used to cost 10-12K and now sells for 6k.

I did a break even analysis under the now expired government scheme and could have been (with lots 'n' lots of sun,) maybe in profit after 27.?? years. The scheme was flawed in many ways and it probably should have stopped earlier.

The Feed In Tariff will or has been replaced by the Smart Export Guarantee which I think will be generating industry rather than Government run and may or may not start (or be fully implemented) next year and may or may not be 3.97p per KW.

I'll do my break even analysis after the rep has gone or I could go part off grid with a Caravan/Boat/shed system of panel, inverter and battery.

Thanks for helping me get focused.

X Driver

• It probably won't help much, but I'm just about to break even after about 6 years... I know you will be pleased for me!
    Stephen
  • It probably won't help much, but I'm just about to break even after about 6 years... I know you will be pleased for me!
    Stephen

It probably won't help much, but I'm just about to break even after about 6 years... I know you will be pleased for me!
    Stephen

Actually it does help as it proves 6 years is possible.

I am pleased for the rest of the community as you'll soon be making "loadsa money" and can treat us all to a drink!

X Driver
    It probably won't help much, but I'm just about to break even after about 6 years... I know you will be pleased for me!
    Stephen

Actually it does help as it proves 6 years is possible.

I am pleased for the rest of the community as you'll soon be making "loadsa money" and can treat us all to a drink!

X Driver

• Hi Planeteers,

We had an interesting visit, one of my main questions was how much per unit I will earn, it couldn't be quantified because of the way the trading system works.

The recommendation was for an 18 panel system which is rated at 5.94Kw, a 3.3Kw storage battery and the AI system for trading.
    The cost of fitting 10 panels, (which would cover our current usage) was not much less than to have 18 panels (using most of our roof) seeing how the fitters are here and the scaffolding is up, etc, etc.

The quote which showed an 18 year break even point for the system based assumptions for RPI and utility price increases.

There was also the cost, quite a lot higher than what I was lead to believe the average system costs.

Overall I liked the concept including the Solar Energy trading system but NOT the cost.

If PP ever get into a solar trading system then I would put myself up for any trial scheme as I am partway there as the system uses Smets2 meters.

X Driver
  • Hi Planeteers,

We had an interesting visit, one of my main questions was how much per unit I will earn, it couldn't be quantified because of the way the trading system works.

The recommendation was for an 18 panel system which is rated at 5.94Kw, a 3.3Kw storage battery and the AI system for trading.
    The cost of fitting 10 panels, (which would cover our current usage) was not much less than to have 18 panels (using most of our roof) seeing how the fitters are here and the scaffolding is up, etc, etc.

The quote which showed an 18 year break even point for the system based assumptions for RPI and utility price increases.

There was also the cost, quite a lot higher than what I was lead to believe the average system costs.

Overall I liked the concept including the Solar Energy trading system but NOT the cost.

If PP ever get into a solar trading system then I would put myself up for any trial scheme as I am partway there as the system uses Smets2 meters.

X Driver

• hi X
    thanks for the update, how much was the quote?

Quote Originally Posted by X Driver View Post
    Hi Planeteers,

X Driver
  • hi X
    thanks for the update, how much was the quote?

Hi Planeteers,

X Driver

• Hi xdriver.

Interesting read indeed, i too would be curious (if your willing to share) to see a breakdown in the costs.

Whilst i agree with the concept of having as many panels you have space and finances for with battery storage to help cover night time usage thus taking full advantage of the energy generated. the solar trading system seems a bit overkill as i dont believe it is that widespread yet so returns may not be that good,not even sure how much it would cost to install that aspect. myself i would rather have an agreed purchase price from my energy supplier, the SEG scheme starts jan 1 2020.
    Obviously its only my opinion so you have to do what you feel is best for your situation.
  • Hi xdriver.

Interesting read indeed, i too would be curious (if your willing to share) to see a breakdown in the costs.

Whilst i agree with the concept of having as many panels you have space and finances for with battery storage to help cover night time usage thus taking full advantage of the energy generated. the solar trading system seems a bit overkill as i dont believe it is that widespread yet so returns may not be that good,not even sure how much it would cost to install that aspect. myself i would rather have an agreed purchase price from my energy supplier, the SEG scheme starts jan 1 2020.
    Obviously its only my opinion so you have to do what you feel is best for your situation.

• Hi Woz and Jon,

As far as the costs go a 10 panel system producing 3.3Kw was £12692, an 18 panel system producing 5.94Kw was £13740 that included a sign tonight discount.
    The panels have a 25 year warranty but should last for over 30 years.

The battery which has a life expectancy of about 10 years and would cost £4k to replace. The battery degrades at a rate of 2.5% a year.

There was no individual cost of any switch gear but the system is designed to do up to 100,000 trades per battery year.

The advantage of the trading scheme over the SEG scheme is if your battery needs topping up it will do it at the best off peak rate to suit your requirements rather than when you use it which is probably a more expensive peak time rate.

As we use a gas combi boiler for our water heating we can't save money there but if you did have a tank you could use an immersion heater rather than your gas system. I suppose in cooler times a few small portable electric heaters would be better than putting your whole central heating on.

The cost is far more than we expected but the set up is much more cutting edge technology.

HTH

X Driver
    Last edited by X Driver; 12-08-19 at 10:23. Reason: change you to your
  • Hi Woz and Jon,

As far as the costs go a 10 panel system producing 3.3Kw was £12692, an 18 panel system producing 5.94Kw was £13740 that included a sign tonight discount.
    The panels have a 25 year warranty but should last for over 30 years.

The battery which has a life expectancy of about 10 years and would cost £4k to replace. The battery degrades at a rate of 2.5% a year.

There was no individual cost of any switch gear but the system is designed to do up to 100,000 trades per battery year.

The advantage of the trading scheme over the SEG scheme is if your battery needs topping up it will do it at the best off peak rate to suit your requirements rather than when you use it which is probably a more expensive peak time rate.

As we use a gas combi boiler for our water heating we can't save money there but if you did have a tank you could use an immersion heater rather than your gas system. I suppose in cooler times a few small portable electric heaters would be better than putting your whole central heating on.

The cost is far more than we expected but the set up is much more cutting edge technology.

HTH

X Driver

• Yes thats seems a bit more than i would expect, is that the best quote or only quote. Several companies doing installs so certainly worth getting a few prices.
    As for the battery i dont see the point of charging it from the grid and i would only charge it from excess production instead of exporting. But i suppose it depends on your usage profile and generation ability.
    We have somebody who can do an 8kw system for roughly 10 grand, just need to convince the bosses wife they are not ugly. 🤯
  • Yes thats seems a bit more than i would expect, is that the best quote or only quote. Several companies doing installs so certainly worth getting a few prices.
    As for the battery i dont see the point of charging it from the grid and i would only charge it from excess production instead of exporting. But i suppose it depends on your usage profile and generation ability.
    We have somebody who can do an 8kw system for roughly 10 grand, just need to convince the bosses wife they are not ugly. 🤯

• Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Yes thats seems a bit more than i would expect, is that the best quote or only quote. Several companies doing installs so certainly worth getting a few prices.

Hi Jon,

It took me a while to get my head around the storing and trading element. As you say your usage profile is important your IHD should if set up better could help you get used to series consumption rather than parallel and the battery backs up the panels whenever your demand exceeds the panel output, usually hours of darkness. As there are times when you may not need a full battery to cover you usage and as the commercial unit rate for electricity varies during the day the battery helps you to sell high and buy low.

If the IHD was set up better you could use the LCD display as Green - not using much, system charging or exporting, yellow - using most of all you are producing and Red - Using more than producing and importing. Accepting your panels or battery as supply and the grid as import or export.

The concept is rather than look at it as an individual system for you, you are a small part of a big system, if there were thousands of batteries on the network they could power say the 9am peak rather than bring a power station on line for a short time, the same for other peak times.

Of course if this concept does't really take off and hardware costs (batteries) don't fall then it could end up as the Betamax of solar powered systems.

10k for an 8kw current system is reasonable, a yard stick is £500 per 330w panel plus fitting, inverter and switch gear. My quote had the battery and it's switch gear on top.

I am waiting for more quotes.

X Driver
    Last edited by X Driver; 12-08-19 at 20:40. Reason: Text missing on IHD paragraph
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Yes thats seems a bit more than i would expect, is that the best quote or only quote. Several companies doing installs so certainly worth getting a few prices.

Hi Jon,

It took me a while to get my head around the storing and trading element. As you say your usage profile is important your IHD should if set up better could help you get used to series consumption rather than parallel and the battery backs up the panels whenever your demand exceeds the panel output, usually hours of darkness. As there are times when you may not need a full battery to cover you usage and as the commercial unit rate for electricity varies during the day the battery helps you to sell high and buy low.

If the IHD was set up better you could use the LCD display as Green - not using much, system charging or exporting, yellow - using most of all you are producing and Red - Using more than producing and importing. Accepting your panels or battery as supply and the grid as import or export.

The concept is rather than look at it as an individual system for you, you are a small part of a big system, if there were thousands of batteries on the network they could power say the 9am peak rather than bring a power station on line for a short time, the same for other peak times.

Of course if this concept does't really take off and hardware costs (batteries) don't fall then it could end up as the Betamax of solar powered systems.

10k for an 8kw current system is reasonable, a yard stick is £500 per 330w panel plus fitting, inverter and switch gear. My quote had the battery and it's switch gear on top.

X Driver

• hi X
    This is one of the most informative and interesting reads I've had in a long while, thanks for sharing it.
    Did you ask what the watt hours of the battery storage was by any chance? How much space do the batteries take? Do they install them in the loft and are they fire protected in any way?
    Does it affect your house insurance and was that mentioned in the spiel?
    So would the battery be the point of first use before looking to import from the grid in all cases or have I misunderstood?
    Hi Jon,

If the IHD was set up better

X Driver
  • hi X
    This is one of the most informative and interesting reads I've had in a long while, thanks for sharing it.
    Did you ask what the watt hours of the battery storage was by any chance? How much space do the batteries take? Do they install them in the loft and are they fire protected in any way?
    So would the battery be the point of first use before looking to import from the grid in all cases or have I misunderstood?
    Hi Jon,

If the IHD was set up better

X Driver

• The system the boss and i want to install will deliberatly generate way more than we use and therefore with sufficient battery storage to last all night so as to be independant from the grid, hes lucky enough to have the roof space to accommodate it on the outbuilding. At the moment it will be solar tiles as in about 3/4 years time the building in question will need a new roof anyway so its more cost effective to do it in one hit.
    The best way would be to have a paddock full of ground mount but MRS boss is adamant they are too ugly for that.

As for the SEG payments i speculate this will become quite a competative market and will eventually be used as a way to lure customers in by having very competitive prices, but like you say i may be the one whos buys into betemax.
    Last edited by Jon1; 12-08-19 at 22:01.
  • The system the boss and i want to install will deliberatly generate way more than we use and therefore with sufficient battery storage to last all night so as to be independant from the grid, hes lucky enough to have the roof space to accommodate it on the outbuilding. At the moment it will be solar tiles as in about 3/4 years time the building in question will need a new roof anyway so its more cost effective to do it in one hit.
    The best way would be to have a paddock full of ground mount but MRS boss is adamant they are too ugly for that.

As for the SEG payments i speculate this will become quite a competative market and will eventually be used as a way to lure customers in by having very competitive prices, but like you say i may be the one whos buys into betemax.

• [QUOTE=woz;35223]hi X

Hi Woz,

I noticed part of my reply about the IHD was missing, it should have read:-

"If the IHD was set up better you could use the LCD display as Green - not using much, system charging or exporting, yellow - using most of all you are producing and Red - Using more than producing and importing. Accepting your panels or battery as supply and the grid as import or export."

Even without solar panels that setup of the IHD LEDs could get people thinking about series usage and help reducing max current draw even if it doesn't reduce consumption.

The batteries within the bank are similar if not the same as those fitted to electric vehicles.

The size quoted for the bank is 680mm x 610mm x 258mm and for us it would fit in what we call our cupboard under the stairs (we don't have stairs as we live in a bungalow). I would't like it in the loft even if permissible as I would want to at least be able to keep an eye on it, it's the same reason I wouldn't have a gas boiler fitted in a loft.

The power output of the power bank is listed as off grid 2kva @ 8amps nominal and 16amp maximum, on grid it is 3.3Kw @ 13amps, the overall storage capacity is 3.3kw. Obviously if you were off grid (or a power cut) provided you didn't go silly you can survive some time on 3 units. I notice that 10 years is for the warranty of the battery not the lifespan, at 10 years it will be at 60% efficiency and would still give you 2 units.

I don't know how it would affect my buildings insurance as I have not asked my insurance company but probably no more than a regular solar panel system.

To answer your last question, your primary source is the panels and topped up from the battery if there is not enough power from the panels and then you use the grid, it's the trading scheme that has unknowns. I think the whole system is about saving money not earning money and therefore would not suit a small consumer like me.

Hopefully that gives you enough technical information.

X Driver
  • [QUOTE=woz;35223]hi X

Hi Woz,

"If the IHD was set up better you could use the LCD display as Green - not using much, system charging or exporting, yellow - using most of all you are producing and Red - Using more than producing and importing. Accepting your panels or battery as supply and the grid as import or export."

Even without solar panels that setup of the IHD LEDs could get people thinking about series usage and help reducing max current draw even if it doesn't reduce consumption.

The batteries within the bank are similar if not the same as those fitted to electric vehicles.

The size quoted for the bank is 680mm x 610mm x 258mm and for us it would fit in what we call our cupboard under the stairs (we don't have stairs as we live in a bungalow). I would't like it in the loft even if permissible as I would want to at least be able to keep an eye on it, it's the same reason I wouldn't have a gas boiler fitted in a loft.

The power output of the power bank is listed as off grid 2kva @ 8amps nominal and 16amp maximum, on grid it is 3.3Kw @ 13amps, the overall storage capacity is 3.3kw. Obviously if you were off grid (or a power cut) provided you didn't go silly you can survive some time on 3 units. I notice that 10 years is for the warranty of the battery not the lifespan, at 10 years it will be at 60% efficiency and would still give you 2 units.

I don't know how it would affect my buildings insurance as I have not asked my insurance company but probably no more than a regular solar panel system.

To answer your last question, your primary source is the panels and topped up from the battery if there is not enough power from the panels and then you use the grid, it's the trading scheme that has unknowns. I think the whole system is about saving money not earning money and therefore would not suit a small consumer like me.

X Driver

• Thanks, I think you'd need something a lot more sophisticated, the IHD is far too dumbed-down to be of much use as it stands now (in my opinion).
    The 3.3kVA (I'll hazard a guess) is before inverter losses, but the inverters should be pretty good.
    Now if you could use the batteries in your EV instead of installing their batteries....
    [QUOTE=X Driver;35236]
    Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    hi X

Hi Woz,

X Driver
  • Thanks, I think you'd need something a lot more sophisticated, the IHD is far too dumbed-down to be of much use as it stands now (in my opinion).
    The 3.3kVA (I'll hazard a guess) is before inverter losses, but the inverters should be pretty good.
    Now if you could use the batteries in your EV instead of installing their batteries....
    [QUOTE=X Driver;35236]
    Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    hi X

Hi Woz,

X Driver

• Hi Woz,

I personally would like to have a smarter IHD to go with my smart meter and this will be part of my feedback as being part of PP's Smets2 pilot scheme.

Yes, to confirm the 3.3Kva is from the battery, as you appear to be aware modern inverters no matter how efficient can not stop energy loss completely.

I do like the idea of using an EV (which I don't have) as a movable power bank 😊

X Driver
  • Hi Woz,

I personally would like to have a smarter IHD to go with my smart meter and this will be part of my feedback as being part of PP's Smets2 pilot scheme.

Yes, to confirm the 3.3Kva is from the battery, as you appear to be aware modern inverters no matter how efficient can not stop energy loss completely.

I do like the idea of using an EV (which I don't have) as a movable power bank 😊

X Driver

• A few more thoughts:-

With the energy trading, is whoever buys my traded energy going to demand to supply me (as how can I receive trades) and will their energy be 100% green like PP?

I am on the PP Smart meter pilot scheme what would happen to that?

I am currently happy with my PP setup, PP price structure and PP's company ethos so are the unknown benefits of trading worth the change?

I will wait for clarity with the SEG scheme and who knows PP may be planning may become a Segger sometime next year.

A big thumbs up 👍 to all that have helped me.

X Driver
  • A few more thoughts:-

With the energy trading, is whoever buys my traded energy going to demand to supply me (as how can I receive trades) and will their energy be 100% green like PP?

I am on the PP Smart meter pilot scheme what would happen to that?

I am currently happy with my PP setup, PP price structure and PP's company ethos so are the unknown benefits of trading worth the change?

I will wait for clarity with the SEG scheme and who knows PP may be planning may become a Segger sometime next year.

A big thumbs up 👍 to all that have helped me.

X Driver

• Quote Originally Posted by X Driver View Post

A big thumbs up to all that have helped me.

X Driver
    Nice one @X Driver
    This is a great thread!
    I've got answer for you. It's a bit vague (well yes OK it's very vague) but it is an accurate description on where we are with SEGs, and I don't want to over-promise.
    Basically, we're working on the early SEG proposition to be launched in 2020 and will be inviting our Members to become part of the trial as soon as we've got the systems and processes in place.
    Sounds like you'll be near the front of the queue, if you want to be
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by X Driver View Post

A big thumbs up to all that have helped me.

X Driver
    Nice one @X Driver
    This is a great thread!
    I've got answer for you. It's a bit vague (well yes OK it's very vague) but it is an accurate description on where we are with SEGs, and I don't want to over-promise.
    Basically, we're working on the early SEG proposition to be launched in 2020 and will be inviting our Members to become part of the trial as soon as we've got the systems and processes in place.
    Sounds like you'll be near the front of the queue, if you want to be
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Thanks Marc, I'll watch this space as they say.
  • Thanks Marc, I'll watch this space as they say.