• Can't take meter readings

Hi, so I'm registering with pp and I've received the email for the meter readings. I'm a student, moving into a house that previously used pp but I have no way to acquire my meter readings. How do I get past this?
  • Hi, so I'm registering with pp and I've received the email for the meter readings. I'm a student, moving into a house that previously used pp but I have no way to acquire my meter readings. How do I get past this?

• hi Sohail1998
    Why register if you aren't in the property yet?
    The answer depends on when (from what date) you will be responsible for paying the bills.
    If you aren't responsible until you move in why not leave registering until you've moved in and can take meter readings?
    (You have or had a 14 day cooling off period from when you instigated, to cancel, probably too late for you if you've been asked for readings)
    Alternatively if you want to register in advance because you are responsible before you move in, when you are asked for meter readings,
    either call the landlord and ask if they can email photos of the meter readings to you or if not possible go to help in app or online , ask wattbot, type "message the team" and explain that you can't provide readings until whatever date. I'm sure that will be fine.

PP will then have to back estimate the readings from the start of your switch or the start of your tenancy contract, as before that the landlord will be responsible for the bills (if there was a gap after the previous tenants left). Chances are the amount of units used in the gap won't be much, and when the previous tenants left they should have completed the move out section of the app and provided closing readings, which PP will have a record of.

If you've switched in before the start of your contract you'll have to explain that in the message too. PP can't know at which point you are responsible for the bills. I have no idea what they will do in those circumstances. (If it's only a few days it probably isn't worth pursuing)
  • hi Sohail1998
    Why register if you aren't in the property yet?
    The answer depends on when (from what date) you will be responsible for paying the bills.
    If you aren't responsible until you move in why not leave registering until you've moved in and can take meter readings?
    (You have or had a 14 day cooling off period from when you instigated, to cancel, probably too late for you if you've been asked for readings)
    Alternatively if you want to register in advance because you are responsible before you move in, when you are asked for meter readings,
    either call the landlord and ask if they can email photos of the meter readings to you or if not possible go to help in app or online , ask wattbot, type "message the team" and explain that you can't provide readings until whatever date. I'm sure that will be fine.

PP will then have to back estimate the readings from the start of your switch or the start of your tenancy contract, as before that the landlord will be responsible for the bills (if there was a gap after the previous tenants left). Chances are the amount of units used in the gap won't be much, and when the previous tenants left they should have completed the move out section of the app and provided closing readings, which PP will have a record of.

If you've switched in before the start of your contract you'll have to explain that in the message too. PP can't know at which point you are responsible for the bills. I have no idea what they will do in those circumstances. (If it's only a few days it probably isn't worth pursuing)

• Quote Originally Posted by Sohail1998 View Post
    Hi, so I'm registering with pp and I've received the email for the meter readings. I'm a student, moving into a house that previously used pp but I have no way to acquire my meter readings. How do I get past this?
    Hi @Sohail1998
    Welcome to the community!
    Thanks for posting.
    When do you move in?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

Hi @Sohail1998
    Welcome to the community!
    Thanks for posting.
    When do you move in?

• Hi Marc,

My tenancy started on the 1st July, however it's a student house and no one is living there currently since we're all on holiday. We're moving in late-ish september.
  • Hi Marc,

My tenancy started on the 1st July, however it's a student house and no one is living there currently since we're all on holiday. We're moving in late-ish september.

• Hi sohail1998.

Just a long shot but are the meter readings on your tenancy agreement? I think they should be.
  • Hi sohail1998.

Just a long shot but are the meter readings on your tenancy agreement? I think they should be.

• Hi,

They aren't :/ Im with a letting agency, i emailed them and they said they can't get them for me, they can only pass my info to the previous tenants in hopes they will get in contact with me about it. Bit of a silly situation
  • Hi,

They aren't :/ Im with a letting agency, i emailed them and they said they can't get them for me, they can only pass my info to the previous tenants in hopes they will get in contact with me about it. Bit of a silly situation

• That’s a cop out by the letting agency because they can’t be bothered, they should have asked the previous tenants and passed on the info to you. Disgraceful.
    Tell the letting agency that you won’t be responsible for electricity use until the move in date and give pp the letting agency’s details so they can be billed for any use after the previous tenants left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sohail1998 View Post

• That’s a cop out by the letting agency because they can’t be bothered, they should have asked the previous tenants and passed on the info to you. Disgraceful.
    Tell the letting agency that you won’t be responsible for electricity use until the move in date and give pp the letting agency’s details so they can be billed for any use after the previous tenants left.

• I know, but they can't pass the previous tenants details to me, it has to be the other way round and there's no guarantee they'll have them or reply. I sent a message to the team via wattbott but they haven't replied yet, getting a bit frustrating now, there's almost no effort by the team.
  • I know, but they can't pass the previous tenants details to me, it has to be the other way round and there's no guarantee they'll have them or reply. I sent a message to the team via wattbott but they haven't replied yet, getting a bit frustrating now, there's almost no effort by the team.

I know, but they can't pass the previous tenants details to me, it has to be the other way round and there's no guarantee they'll have them or reply. I sent a message to the team via wattbott but they haven't replied yet, getting a bit frustrating now, there's almost no effort by the team.
    Hi @Sohail1998
    Our Member services team got your message.
    They've also replied, asking for your move-in date. If you can get back to them, that'd be lovely!

I know, but they can't pass the previous tenants details to me, it has to be the other way round and there's no guarantee they'll have them or reply. I sent a message to the team via wattbott but they haven't replied yet, getting a bit frustrating now, there's almost no effort by the team.
    Hi @Sohail1998
    Our Member services team got your message.
    They've also replied, asking for your move-in date. If you can get back to them, that'd be lovely!

• Hi Marc,

I haven't received any email or message. My tenancy begun on the 1st July, I'm moving in on the 21st September, however I'm living with 4 other people and I'm not entirely sure when they are,but probably around the same time
  • Hi Marc,

I haven't received any email or message. My tenancy begun on the 1st July, I'm moving in on the 21st September, however I'm living with 4 other people and I'm not entirely sure when they are,but probably around the same time

• hi Sohail
    if your tenancy began on 1st July presumably you are responsible for energy use from that time. Hopefully not much energy will have been used between then and now?
    Hi Marc,

• hi Sohail
    if your tenancy began on 1st July presumably you are responsible for energy use from that time. Hopefully not much energy will have been used between then and now?
    Hi Marc,

• Hi woz,

Since the 1st the house has been empty. There should be no power usage. But I want this setup so I have electricity when I move in
  • Hi woz,

Since the 1st the house has been empty. There should be no power usage. But I want this setup so I have electricity when I move in