• Good news! So long, plastic bags...

How many times have you done a big shop, reached the till, and thought... I forgot my plastic/reusable/bags for life!

Well according to recent news those moments are becoming less and less frequent - we now only buy, on average, 10 bags a year compared to 140 a year in 2014 (as reported by the BBC)!

Since the intro of 5p per bag, the number of plastic bags being used is down by 90% nice to see some good news!
    Should it be 10p minimum to further reduce numbers?

On top of that, many big retailers have started bringing in their own policies, such as Boots and Morrison's introducing paper bags which hasn't seemed to put people off shopping there? So maybe more retailers should start to consider that as an option

Maybe in a few years we'll see all plastic bags being banned!

Name:  food-groceries-paper-bag-1992913.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  3.45 MB
  • How many times have you done a big shop, reached the till, and thought... I forgot my plastic/reusable/bags for life!

Well according to recent news those moments are becoming less and less frequent - we now only buy, on average, 10 bags a year compared to 140 a year in 2014 (as reported by the BBC)!

Since the intro of 5p per bag, the number of plastic bags being used is down by 90% nice to see some good news!
    Should it be 10p minimum to further reduce numbers?

On top of that, many big retailers have started bringing in their own policies, such as Boots and Morrison's introducing paper bags which hasn't seemed to put people off shopping there? So maybe more retailers should start to consider that as an option

Maybe in a few years we'll see all plastic bags being banned!

Name:  food-groceries-paper-bag-1992913.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  3.45 MB
  • I know that this is a day old, so probably not 'news' anymore.
    McDonalds' paper straws....... cannot be recycled
    It would be really funny if it wasn't so harmful. According to the BBC 1.8million of the straws are used every day in the UK alone.
    That's 1.8 million in the UK. Every day!
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• I know that this is a day old, so probably not 'news' anymore.
    McDonalds' paper straws....... cannot be recycled
    It would be really funny if it wasn't so harmful. According to the BBC 1.8million of the straws are used every day in the UK alone.
    That's 1.8 million in the UK. Every day!

• Last night i watched MEDITERRANEAN with simon reeve. He has travelled around the med seeing how differant countries use and abuse it. Yesterdays episode he got to spain, and i was horrified by the amount of plastic they allow to be put into the eco system. Vegtable farmers using plastic greenhouses and illegal labour to farm the veg on supermarket shelves. Then at the end of a cropping season the greenhouses are taken down and replaced with new ones with the old ones simply dumped and allowed to wash into the water. All with the full blessing of spanish government due to the billion euros it raises in revenue.
  • Last night i watched MEDITERRANEAN with simon reeve. He has travelled around the med seeing how differant countries use and abuse it. Yesterdays episode he got to spain, and i was horrified by the amount of plastic they allow to be put into the eco system. Vegtable farmers using plastic greenhouses and illegal labour to farm the veg on supermarket shelves. Then at the end of a cropping season the greenhouses are taken down and replaced with new ones with the old ones simply dumped and allowed to wash into the water. All with the full blessing of spanish government due to the billion euros it raises in revenue.
  • Hey @Jon1
    Not good.
    But at least if you're caught dumping a fridge down a ravine in Spain they make you haul it back up

• Hey @Jon1
    Not good.
    But at least if you're caught dumping a fridge down a ravine in Spain they make you haul it back up