• Money owed by Pure Planet

    Hi I recently left pure planet as I was offered a cheaper tarrif.
    Pie planet owe me approximately £100 as I have been overcharged; I am living on benefits and unable to work due to my health so am frugal.
    However now my switch has taken place my account details and money owed by Pure planet has also disappeared. As there is also no paper billing I have no evidence.
    I'm pretty sure I need that money more than pure planet.
    Thanks
    Kate Hadden
    Tap below to see the best answer
    0
  • Hi I recently left pure planet as I was offered a cheaper tarrif.
    Pie planet owe me approximately £100 as I have been overcharged; I am living on benefits and unable to work due to my health so am frugal.
    However now my switch has taken place my account details and money owed by Pure planet has also disappeared. As there is also no paper billing I have no evidence.
    I'm pretty sure I need that money more than pure planet.
    Thanks
    Kate Hadden
    Tap below to see the best answer


  • Best Answer

    Quote Originally Posted by katieanne1009 View Post
    Hi I recently left pure planet as I was offered a cheaper tarrif.
    Pie planet owe me approximately £100 as I have been overcharged; I am living on benefits and unable to work due to my health so am frugal.
    However now my switch has taken place my account details and money owed by Pure planet has also disappeared. As there is also no paper billing I have no evidence.
    I'm pretty sure I need that money more than pure planet.
    Thanks
    Kate Hadden
    Hi @katieanne1009
    Welcome to the community!
    Thanks for posting.
    When did you switch? It takes up to six weeks for a final bill to be sent, and refunds issued.
    I assume you've given opening readings to your new energy provider?
    Check out this FAQ which has more detail. Hope it helps!
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

    0
  • Quote Originally Posted by katieanne1009 View Post
    Hi I recently left pure planet as I was offered a cheaper tarrif.
    Pie planet owe me approximately £100 as I have been overcharged; I am living on benefits and unable to work due to my health so am frugal.
    However now my switch has taken place my account details and money owed by Pure planet has also disappeared. As there is also no paper billing I have no evidence.
    I'm pretty sure I need that money more than pure planet.
    Thanks
    Kate Hadden
    Hi @katieanne1009
    Welcome to the community!
    Thanks for posting.
    When did you switch? It takes up to six weeks for a final bill to be sent, and refunds issued.
    I assume you've given opening readings to your new energy provider?
    Check out this FAQ which has more detail. Hope it helps!
    Community Manager - Pure Planet



  • Hi Kate katieann1009

    ​Presumably you let your new supplier know the starting meter readings?
    When you say you were overcharged, can you explain what's happened? If it was merely a case of using less than the direct debit covered it will sort itself out in the final bill, if something else you may need different advice.
    You do have evidence, you should have received statements by email. Don't you still have them?
    ​If you haven't received statements you should ask for them...see below.
    There is an industry process in place and it can take up to 6 weeks for your final bill to be produced, PP will use those starting readings as a basis to calculate your final bill.
    If you've not cancelled the DD the refund will be paid to your bank account, if you have cancelled the DD, PP won't be able to pay you until you let them know where to pay it to.
    You can do that and give them a nudge to make it as quick as they can by using Wattbot, type "message the team" and ask there. Replies within 24 hrs.
    If wattbot isn't working (there have been some issues so mentioned just in case), post back and someone will help out.

    Neither Pie Planet or Pure Planet have a desire to hang on to your or anyone else's money, so whether you need it more than they do isn't relevant. PP aim to settle as quickly as they can.

    Quote Originally Posted by katieanne1009 View Post
    Hi I recently left pure planet as I was offered a cheaper tarrif.
    Pie planet owe me approximately £100 as I have been overcharged; I am living on benefits and unable to work due to my health so am frugal.
    However now my switch has taken place my account details and money owed by Pure planet has also disappeared. As there is also no paper billing I have no evidence.
    I'm pretty sure I need that money more than pure planet.
    Thanks
    Kate Hadden
    Last edited by woz; 31-07-19 at 15:27.
    0
  • Hi Kate katieann1009

    ​Presumably you let your new supplier know the starting meter readings?
    When you say you were overcharged, can you explain what's happened? If it was merely a case of using less than the direct debit covered it will sort itself out in the final bill, if something else you may need different advice.
    You do have evidence, you should have received statements by email. Don't you still have them?
    ​If you haven't received statements you should ask for them...see below.
    There is an industry process in place and it can take up to 6 weeks for your final bill to be produced, PP will use those starting readings as a basis to calculate your final bill.
    If you've not cancelled the DD the refund will be paid to your bank account, if you have cancelled the DD, PP won't be able to pay you until you let them know where to pay it to.
    You can do that and give them a nudge to make it as quick as they can by using Wattbot, type "message the team" and ask there. Replies within 24 hrs.
    If wattbot isn't working (there have been some issues so mentioned just in case), post back and someone will help out.

    Neither Pie Planet or Pure Planet have a desire to hang on to your or anyone else's money, so whether you need it more than they do isn't relevant. PP aim to settle as quickly as they can.

    Quote Originally Posted by katieanne1009 View Post
    Hi I recently left pure planet as I was offered a cheaper tarrif.
    Pie planet owe me approximately £100 as I have been overcharged; I am living on benefits and unable to work due to my health so am frugal.
    However now my switch has taken place my account details and money owed by Pure planet has also disappeared. As there is also no paper billing I have no evidence.
    I'm pretty sure I need that money more than pure planet.
    Thanks
    Kate Hadden


  • @Bev
    Pie Planet...
    2
  • @Bev
    Pie Planet...


  • Larfing quietly to myself 😂😂😂🙃🙃🙃😉🤫🤫🤫
    Peace is always beautiful.

    WALT WHITMAN
    0
  • Larfing quietly to myself 😂😂😂🙃🙃🙃😉🤫🤫🤫
    Peace is always beautiful.

    WALT WHITMAN


  • We’re soooooo immature Wozeeta 😂😂😂😂😂
    Peace is always beautiful.

    WALT WHITMAN
    1
  • We’re soooooo immature Wozeeta 😂😂😂😂😂
    Peace is always beautiful.

    WALT WHITMAN


  • I know, but it's fun.. hadn't anticipated that one, just checked, it's true!
    Name:  ppie-r.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  19.2 KB

    If you target the telescope on to your piece of coal - sorry I mean universe, you'll see it in the far distance....
    P.S. It's a Sainsburys vegetable pie out there so OK for the deep space veggies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    We’re soooooo immature Wozeeta ���������������� �������������
    Last edited by woz; 31-07-19 at 22:37.
    2
  • I know, but it's fun.. hadn't anticipated that one, just checked, it's true!
    Name:  ppie-r.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  19.2 KB

    If you target the telescope on to your piece of coal - sorry I mean universe, you'll see it in the far distance....
    P.S. It's a Sainsburys vegetable pie out there so OK for the deep space veggies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    We’re soooooo immature Wozeeta ���������������� �������������


  • Looked at later I think my reply may seem unsympathetic. That wasn't intended.
    Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Hi Kate katieann1009

    ​Presumably you let your new supplier know the starting meter readings?
    When you say you were overcharged, can you explain what's happened? If it was merely a case of using less than the direct debit covered it will sort itself out in the final bill, if something else you may need different advice.
    You do have evidence, you should have received statements by email. Don't you still have them?
    ​If you haven't received statements you should ask for them...see below.
    There is an industry process in place and it can take up to 6 weeks for your final bill to be produced, PP will use those starting readings as a basis to calculate your final bill.
    If you've not cancelled the DD the refund will be paid to your bank account, if you have cancelled the DD, PP won't be able to pay you until you let them know where to pay it to.
    You can do that and give them a nudge to make it as quick as they can by using Wattbot, type "message the team" and ask there. Replies within 24 hrs.
    If wattbot isn't working (there have been some issues so mentioned just in case), post back and someone will help out.

    Neither Pie Planet or Pure Planet have a desire to hang on to your or anyone else's money, so whether you need it more than they do isn't relevant. PP aim to settle as quickly as they can.
    0
  • Looked at later I think my reply may seem unsympathetic. That wasn't intended.
    Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Hi Kate katieann1009

    ​Presumably you let your new supplier know the starting meter readings?
    When you say you were overcharged, can you explain what's happened? If it was merely a case of using less than the direct debit covered it will sort itself out in the final bill, if something else you may need different advice.
    You do have evidence, you should have received statements by email. Don't you still have them?
    ​If you haven't received statements you should ask for them...see below.
    There is an industry process in place and it can take up to 6 weeks for your final bill to be produced, PP will use those starting readings as a basis to calculate your final bill.
    If you've not cancelled the DD the refund will be paid to your bank account, if you have cancelled the DD, PP won't be able to pay you until you let them know where to pay it to.
    You can do that and give them a nudge to make it as quick as they can by using Wattbot, type "message the team" and ask there. Replies within 24 hrs.
    If wattbot isn't working (there have been some issues so mentioned just in case), post back and someone will help out.

    Neither Pie Planet or Pure Planet have a desire to hang on to your or anyone else's money, so whether you need it more than they do isn't relevant. PP aim to settle as quickly as they can.