• Ten hottest years in UK all happened since 2002

This is shocking, but not surprising, stuff.

There's a new Met Office study out today which shows that the 10 hottest years recorded in the UK have all taken place since 2002.

I'm not surprised because it's noticeably hotter than when I was growing up, and I'm not that old! Shocking because it's happening so quickly, in front of our eyes.

Here's a link to a BBC report about the study. They're reporting that the study look at records going back all the way to 1884.

Their report ends with some analysis, including this line: "For years the Met Office has been saying that its data shows unmistakeable evidence of rising temperatures, both in the UK and worldwide, driven by the gases given off by human activity."

Community Manager - Pure Planet

• This is shocking, but not surprising, stuff.

There's a new Met Office study out today which shows that the 10 hottest years recorded in the UK have all taken place since 2002.

I'm not surprised because it's noticeably hotter than when I was growing up, and I'm not that old! Shocking because it's happening so quickly, in front of our eyes.

Here's a link to a BBC report about the study. They're reporting that the study look at records going back all the way to 1884.

Their report ends with some analysis, including this line: "For years the Met Office has been saying that its data shows unmistakeable evidence of rising temperatures, both in the UK and worldwide, driven by the gases given off by human activity."

• We definitely have hotter temperatures now, but just odd day’s dotted thru the summer months. “Back in MY day......” 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂(and I’m not much older 😂😂🙃), it was guaranteed six scorching hot days of ☀️thru school summer holidays. I remember it well, as padding pool was filled in garden daily, and water fountains ⛲️⛲️⛲️⛲️in all parks were on constantly (no strict H and S back then 👍👏) , so altho tiny tad cooler temps 🌡, seasons were consistent. Knew where you were 👍
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • We definitely have hotter temperatures now, but just odd day’s dotted thru the summer months. “Back in MY day......” 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂(and I’m not much older 😂😂🙃), it was guaranteed six scorching hot days of ☀️thru school summer holidays. I remember it well, as padding pool was filled in garden daily, and water fountains ⛲️⛲️⛲️⛲️in all parks were on constantly (no strict H and S back then 👍👏) , so altho tiny tad cooler temps 🌡, seasons were consistent. Knew where you were 👍
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Apparently the research looked at temperatures for each day in each year. So it takes an average of the whole year.
    For that reason 2018 isn't the hottest year ever, because even though it was very hot summer, we also had the 'Beast from the East' earlier in the year.

This chart makes it clear, if slightly scary

Name:  Hottest and coldest years timeline.PNG
Views: 42
Size:  48.7 KB

Agree that the seasons used to be easier to predict. October is still pretty much summer these days isn't it?!

• Apparently the research looked at temperatures for each day in each year. So it takes an average of the whole year.
    For that reason 2018 isn't the hottest year ever, because even though it was very hot summer, we also had the 'Beast from the East' earlier in the year.

This chart makes it clear, if slightly scary

Name:  Hottest and coldest years timeline.PNG
Views: 42
Size:  48.7 KB

Agree that the seasons used to be easier to predict. October is still pretty much summer these days isn't it?!