• Air conditioning

In this recent heatwave it seems to have hit home (literally) that most UK houses don't have some form of A/C.

But then a vicious cycle appears;

It's getting warmer = we need A/C = increased carbon footprint = increased warmth = increased need for A/C etc etc...

We've all heard lots about the impact of CO2, but the impact of hydrofluorocarbons seems to have been missed. Although they make up much less of the world's greenhouse gases, according to The Economist they're over 1,000 times worse than CO2 when it comes to trapping heat in the atmosphere... that seems quite ironic considering they're a by-product of keeping us cool.

I was wondering if anyone does have A/C? Or if in the recent heat you've found effective ways of keeping the house cool even without an air conditioning system?

Name:  air-3601981_1920.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  90.4 KB
  • In this recent heatwave it seems to have hit home (literally) that most UK houses don't have some form of A/C.

But then a vicious cycle appears;

It's getting warmer = we need A/C = increased carbon footprint = increased warmth = increased need for A/C etc etc...

We've all heard lots about the impact of CO2, but the impact of hydrofluorocarbons seems to have been missed. Although they make up much less of the world's greenhouse gases, according to The Economist they're over 1,000 times worse than CO2 when it comes to trapping heat in the atmosphere... that seems quite ironic considering they're a by-product of keeping us cool.

I was wondering if anyone does have A/C? Or if in the recent heat you've found effective ways of keeping the house cool even without an air conditioning system?

Name:  air-3601981_1920.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  90.4 KB
  • At work, it’s always proved a nightmare, as no matter how hot it is 😓😓😓😓😓, theres always one that protests 😡😡😡😡. Easy to say go with majority, which we do, but if that individual is the one sitting under the unit, which is usually the case, it causes bit of disagreement.

Worse in winter IMO when same said unit gets bumped up to 28! Absolutely insane! Just put more layers on! Everyone dripping! Harder to win that battle, as when they’re not paying for it, human race will always bump up the heat. Hate it.

But back to heatwave, using Magicool, but finding most stores discontinuing it 🙀👎😢. Available online but bumped prices right up. Also, keep blinds closed, windows closed, if temp mega hot outdoors like yesterday. 35 here yesterday, it was silent outside. One thing with the human race, is they WILL listen to weather warnings and advice 👍👍👏👏👏. Wear as little clothing as absolutely possible. On life, when postman knocked, I just grabbed a towel and larfed saying it was too hot for clothing. He didn’t even crack a smile 🙀🙀🙀🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄! Mind you, think loads had same idea yesterday, so he was prob sick of seeing awkward sights 😂😂😂😂

BEST thing ever when soooo hot and humid IMO, is the unbeatable sea or water fountains ⛲️🏝👍👏, bliss. Very very very lucky if you live close. Maybe one day. I don’t think you can beat Bournemouth waves for swimming.
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • At work, it’s always proved a nightmare, as no matter how hot it is 😓😓😓😓😓, theres always one that protests 😡😡😡😡. Easy to say go with majority, which we do, but if that individual is the one sitting under the unit, which is usually the case, it causes bit of disagreement.

Worse in winter IMO when same said unit gets bumped up to 28! Absolutely insane! Just put more layers on! Everyone dripping! Harder to win that battle, as when they’re not paying for it, human race will always bump up the heat. Hate it.

But back to heatwave, using Magicool, but finding most stores discontinuing it 🙀👎😢. Available online but bumped prices right up. Also, keep blinds closed, windows closed, if temp mega hot outdoors like yesterday. 35 here yesterday, it was silent outside. One thing with the human race, is they WILL listen to weather warnings and advice 👍👍👏👏👏. Wear as little clothing as absolutely possible. On life, when postman knocked, I just grabbed a towel and larfed saying it was too hot for clothing. He didn’t even crack a smile 🙀🙀🙀🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄! Mind you, think loads had same idea yesterday, so he was prob sick of seeing awkward sights 😂😂😂😂

BEST thing ever when soooo hot and humid IMO, is the unbeatable sea or water fountains ⛲️🏝👍👏, bliss. Very very very lucky if you live close. Maybe one day. I don’t think you can beat Bournemouth waves for swimming.

WALT WHITMAN
  • So you posed naked in front of the postman and he walked away!
    You need a new postman...Name:  post-r2.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  3.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    At work, it’s always proved a nightmare, as no matter how hot it is ���������������� �������������, theres always one that protests ���������������� �������. Easy to say go with majority, which we do, but if that individual is the one sitting under the unit, which is usually the case, it causes bit of disagreement.

But back to heatwave, using Magicool, but finding most stores discontinuing it ���������������� �. Available online but bumped prices right up. Also, keep blinds closed, windows closed, if temp mega hot outdoors like yesterday. 35 here yesterday, it was silent outside. One thing with the human race, is they WILL listen to weather warnings and advice ���������������� �������������. Wear as little clothing as absolutely possible. On life, when postman knocked, I just grabbed a towel and larfed saying it was too hot for clothing. He didn’t even crack a smile ���������������� ���������������� ��������������! Mind you, think loads had same idea yesterday, so he was prob sick of seeing awkward sights ���������������� �������

BEST thing ever when soooo hot and humid IMO, is the unbeatable sea or water fountains ⛲️�������������� ���, bliss. Very very very lucky if you live close. Maybe one day. I don’t think you can beat Bournemouth waves for swimming.
  • So you posed naked in front of the postman and he walked away!
    You need a new postman...Name:  post-r2.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  3.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    At work, it’s always proved a nightmare, as no matter how hot it is ���������������� �������������, theres always one that protests ���������������� �������. Easy to say go with majority, which we do, but if that individual is the one sitting under the unit, which is usually the case, it causes bit of disagreement.

But back to heatwave, using Magicool, but finding most stores discontinuing it ���������������� �. Available online but bumped prices right up. Also, keep blinds closed, windows closed, if temp mega hot outdoors like yesterday. 35 here yesterday, it was silent outside. One thing with the human race, is they WILL listen to weather warnings and advice ���������������� �������������. Wear as little clothing as absolutely possible. On life, when postman knocked, I just grabbed a towel and larfed saying it was too hot for clothing. He didn’t even crack a smile ���������������� ���������������� ��������������! Mind you, think loads had same idea yesterday, so he was prob sick of seeing awkward sights ���������������� �������

BEST thing ever when soooo hot and humid IMO, is the unbeatable sea or water fountains ⛲️�������������� ���, bliss. Very very very lucky if you live close. Maybe one day. I don’t think you can beat Bournemouth waves for swimming.
  • 😂😂😂 it’s not a new postman I need, Wozeeta, it’s a new body! LOL 😂😂😂 jk

WALT WHITMAN
  • 😂😂😂 it’s not a new postman I need, Wozeeta, it’s a new body! LOL 😂😂😂 jk

WALT WHITMAN
  • I'm considering Air con at home. Even though the cheaper units are ugly. I wouldn't buy a car without it, or go to a hotel without it on holiday. ir's a modern convenience I don't want to live without.
  • I'm considering Air con at home. Even though the cheaper units are ugly. I wouldn't buy a car without it, or go to a hotel without it on holiday. ir's a modern convenience I don't want to live without.
  • My own little AC, cheap and cheerful from the ole Amazon. Mind you, since it arrived yesterday, it’s done nothing but ☔️☔️☔️☔️ and temps plummeted 😂😂😂😂😂.

Good little fan tho, fill with water, then spray a mist as the fan blows. Lovely and cooling and just 12 notes for three 😂😂👍👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏

Name:  A11DE461-6246-4E91-9F24-24E9626C7927.jpeg
Views: 86
Size:  1.42 MB

WALT WHITMAN
  • My own little AC, cheap and cheerful from the ole Amazon. Mind you, since it arrived yesterday, it’s done nothing but ☔️☔️☔️☔️ and temps plummeted 😂😂😂😂😂.

Good little fan tho, fill with water, then spray a mist as the fan blows. Lovely and cooling and just 12 notes for three 😂😂👍👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏

Name:  A11DE461-6246-4E91-9F24-24E9626C7927.jpeg
Views: 86
Size:  1.42 MB

WALT WHITMAN
  • Ha also bought a fan in time for it raining! Did read about the water trick tho
  • Ha also bought a fan in time for it raining! Did read about the water trick tho
  • My daughter bought me some thin cotton t shirts, instead of the polo's I usually wear. It hasn't stopped raining since. I blame her
  • My daughter bought me some thin cotton t shirts, instead of the polo's I usually wear. It hasn't stopped raining since. I blame her
  • What about making a DIY air con system?

Totally get where you're coming from @Jowl re wanting air con, especially if the UK gets increasing numbers of heatwaves... buuut Brits installing air con could massively increase our carbon footprint, unless some more efficient air con systems are introduced ASAP!

Luckily, it looks like some 'cool' things are popping up to help encourage solutions to the issue so that we can avoid the warmth, without the guilt

Though @Jowl @Duppy maybe we don't have to worry if the good ol' British rain continues
  • What about making a DIY air con system?

Totally get where you're coming from @Jowl re wanting air con, especially if the UK gets increasing numbers of heatwaves... buuut Brits installing air con could massively increase our carbon footprint, unless some more efficient air con systems are introduced ASAP!

Luckily, it looks like some 'cool' things are popping up to help encourage solutions to the issue so that we can avoid the warmth, without the guilt

Though @Jowl @Duppy maybe we don't have to worry if the good ol' British rain continues
  • Wow the cooling things sounds good. Maybe something PP could get involved in? In the mean time I'll try the water / frozen bottles trick
  • Wow the cooling things sounds good. Maybe something PP could get involved in? In the mean time I'll try the water / frozen bottles trick
  • Refrigeration units and by this I include AirCon units should be sealed properly and disposed of properly so that their chemicals do not contribute to greenhouse gas emissions. That leaves the energy use as a concern and indeed globally this is a big issue.

If you however also fit solar panels or similar you could be powering your AC from that and negate the impact of the extra energy consumption caused by the used of AC.

I am planning to (when available) fit Tesla Solar roof tiles, a Tesla Powerwall and then likely a wall mounted AC 'splitter' unit. I would therefore regard this as a suitable 'green' solution.

Note: In theory houses could be designed to significantly reduce the need for AC however it would be much harder to remedy older houses. Governments (all of them) have repeatedly failed to push/force house builders in to improving the quality of houses or at least to failed to do so to the level that could and should be happening. There is some (Government) discussion over banning the use of Gas heating but due to the usual lack of 'joined up' thinking no corresponding plan to force improved insulation etc. It is possible and should be the short term aim to have all new housing require zero heating or cooling and this should also apply to commercial buildings as well.

I would like to see a lot more progress in the field of AC units. At least with regards to typical domestic units I have not seen or heard of any significant technology improvements for years if ever. It strikes me that this is a field Dyson should be addressing.
  • Refrigeration units and by this I include AirCon units should be sealed properly and disposed of properly so that their chemicals do not contribute to greenhouse gas emissions. That leaves the energy use as a concern and indeed globally this is a big issue.

If you however also fit solar panels or similar you could be powering your AC from that and negate the impact of the extra energy consumption caused by the used of AC.

I am planning to (when available) fit Tesla Solar roof tiles, a Tesla Powerwall and then likely a wall mounted AC 'splitter' unit. I would therefore regard this as a suitable 'green' solution.

Note: In theory houses could be designed to significantly reduce the need for AC however it would be much harder to remedy older houses. Governments (all of them) have repeatedly failed to push/force house builders in to improving the quality of houses or at least to failed to do so to the level that could and should be happening. There is some (Government) discussion over banning the use of Gas heating but due to the usual lack of 'joined up' thinking no corresponding plan to force improved insulation etc. It is possible and should be the short term aim to have all new housing require zero heating or cooling and this should also apply to commercial buildings as well.

I would like to see a lot more progress in the field of AC units. At least with regards to typical domestic units I have not seen or heard of any significant technology improvements for years if ever. It strikes me that this is a field Dyson should be addressing.

If you however also fit solar panels or similar you could be powering your AC from that and negate the impact of the extra energy consumption caused by the use of AC.

Note: In theory houses could be designed to significantly reduce the need for AC however it would be much harder to remedy older houses. Governments (all of them) have repeatedly failed to push/force house builders in to improving the quality of houses or at least to failed to do so to the level that could and should be happening. There is some (Government) discussion over banning the use of Gas heating but due to the usual lack of 'joined up' thinking no corresponding plan to force improved insulation etc. in new builds. It is possible and should be the short term aim to have all new housing require zero heating or cooling and this should also apply to commercial buildings as well.

If you however also fit solar panels or similar you could be powering your AC from that and negate the impact of the extra energy consumption caused by the use of AC.

Note: In theory houses could be designed to significantly reduce the need for AC however it would be much harder to remedy older houses. Governments (all of them) have repeatedly failed to push/force house builders in to improving the quality of houses or at least to failed to do so to the level that could and should be happening. There is some (Government) discussion over banning the use of Gas heating but due to the usual lack of 'joined up' thinking no corresponding plan to force improved insulation etc. in new builds. It is possible and should be the short term aim to have all new housing require zero heating or cooling and this should also apply to commercial buildings as well.

• Quote Originally Posted by jelockwood View Post
    It strikes me that this is a field Dyson should be addressing.
    May be but he'll still build the in the far east.
  • Quote Originally Posted by jelockwood View Post
    It strikes me that this is a field Dyson should be addressing.
    May be but he'll still build the in the far east.
  • the fan I bought all those weeks ago might actually get unboxed!!!
  • the fan I bought all those weeks ago might actually get unboxed!!!
  • My fans sure had some use today ya beauty!

WALT WHITMAN
  • My fans sure had some use today ya beauty!

WALT WHITMAN
  • Apparently all you need is plants!

"6 plants that will keep your house naturally cool"

Aloe vera and ferns are my two favourites from the list -
    They're the most effective air-purifying plants, while also brightening up a room

Name:  vera-1520694_1920.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  435.7 KB
  • Apparently all you need is plants!

"6 plants that will keep your house naturally cool"

Aloe vera and ferns are my two favourites from the list -
    They're the most effective air-purifying plants, while also brightening up a room

Name:  vera-1520694_1920.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  435.7 KB