• Smets 1 to Smets 2

My Smets 1 gas meter stopped working a few months ago. I reported it to PP and (a little while later) I was put in touch with the company that’s installing smart meters for PP. Unfortunately they said they couldn’t replace my Smets 1 gas meter with a Smets 2, they’d have to replace it with another Smets 1. I have no clue why this would be and it makes no sense to me, environmentally or in terms of business efficiency. Can anyone help me understand the logic?

It’s now been a month since I heard anything from PP or the contractors, so I have lost count of how long it’s been since I have been able to supply a meter reading. Can’t help worrying I could be in for ‘bill shock’. What would Ofgem think?
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • My Smets 1 gas meter stopped working a few months ago. I reported it to PP and (a little while later) I was put in touch with the company that’s installing smart meters for PP. Unfortunately they said they couldn’t replace my Smets 1 gas meter with a Smets 2, they’d have to replace it with another Smets 1. I have no clue why this would be and it makes no sense to me, environmentally or in terms of business efficiency. Can anyone help me understand the logic?

It’s now been a month since I heard anything from PP or the contractors, so I have lost count of how long it’s been since I have been able to supply a meter reading. Can’t help worrying I could be in for ‘bill shock’. What would Ofgem think?
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

hi Cadleigh

Only PP/Magnum can tell you why they can't install a Smets2, but your direct debits are presumably continuing to be taken and haven't changed, so if your annual estimate was in the ball park there shouldn't be any bill shocks, it can't be that far out, can it? (could be you've used less than expected!).
    I assume the display doesn't work when you press the button?
    PP may pick this up but you should submit the query through help, ask wattbot, type "message the team" and ask. That said the community would like to know why they couldn't fit a smets2, I wonder if it was because the electric meter needs to be changed at the same time?
    I agree that whatever the reason it's environmentally stupid to put a smets1 back in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadleigh View Post
    My Smets 1 gas meter stopped working a few months ago. I reported it to PP and (a little while later) I was put in touch with the company that’s installing smart meters for PP. Unfortunately they said they couldn’t replace my Smets 1 gas meter with a Smets 2, they’d have to replace it with another Smets 1. I have no clue why this would be and it makes no sense to me, environmentally or in terms of business efficiency. Can anyone help me understand the logic?

• hi Cadleigh

Only PP/Magnum can tell you why they can't install a Smets2, but your direct debits are presumably continuing to be taken and haven't changed, so if your annual estimate was in the ball park there shouldn't be any bill shocks, it can't be that far out, can it? (could be you've used less than expected!).
    I assume the display doesn't work when you press the button?
    PP may pick this up but you should submit the query through help, ask wattbot, type "message the team" and ask. That said the community would like to know why they couldn't fit a smets2, I wonder if it was because the electric meter needs to be changed at the same time?
    I agree that whatever the reason it's environmentally stupid to put a smets1 back in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadleigh View Post

• Quote Originally Posted by Cadleigh View Post

Hi @Cadleigh
    The reason we're not replacing your SMETS1 with a new SMETS2 is because there are UK-wide plans to add SMETS1 onto the SMETS2 network.
    This is being controlled by a Government-regulated body called the Data and Communications Company (DCC).
    Here's an FAQ with more detail, but in short the DCC is hopeful that from later this year some models of SMETS1 will wake up and become smart again.

For now you'll need to take manual meter readings from your meter. Here's some instructions on how to do so.
    Hope this helps!
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by Cadleigh View Post

Hi @Cadleigh
    The reason we're not replacing your SMETS1 with a new SMETS2 is because there are UK-wide plans to add SMETS1 onto the SMETS2 network.
    This is being controlled by a Government-regulated body called the Data and Communications Company (DCC).
    Here's an FAQ with more detail, but in short the DCC is hopeful that from later this year some models of SMETS1 will wake up and become smart again.

For now you'll need to take manual meter readings from your meter. Here's some instructions on how to do so.
    Hope this helps!

• @Cadleigh's meter is broken, so I think the question is if someone has to come out and replace it, why not fit an up to date meter?
  • @Cadleigh's meter is broken, so I think the question is if someone has to come out and replace it, why not fit an up to date meter?

• Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    @Cadleigh's meter is broken, so I think the question is if someone has to come out and replace it, why not fit an up to date meter?
    Hi @talldave Sorry I misread the post. I'm blaming the hot weather!

@Cadleigh your gas meter was replaced in early June? I believe the reason is that it was quite early days in our SMETS2 pilot. When numbers were more limited. So, looking at replacing it the engineers will have had to weigh up the need to replace a broken meter and the availibility of SMETS2.
    And as I replied yesterday there are plans to 'adopt' SMETS1 onto the SMETS2 network soon.

• Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    @Cadleigh's meter is broken, so I think the question is if someone has to come out and replace it, why not fit an up to date meter?
    Hi @talldave Sorry I misread the post. I'm blaming the hot weather!

@Cadleigh your gas meter was replaced in early June? I believe the reason is that it was quite early days in our SMETS2 pilot. When numbers were more limited. So, looking at replacing it the engineers will have had to weigh up the need to replace a broken meter and the availibility of SMETS2.
    And as I replied yesterday there are plans to 'adopt' SMETS1 onto the SMETS2 network soon.