• Landlord can't send end of tenancy readings

I have been living in a student accommodation for a year and used pureplanet for gas and electricity. When it came towards the end of the tenancy (22nd of June 2019) I told the landlord about our suppliers and they informed me that they would contact pureplanet to let them know we're leaving (they handle the switch and final readings).

I then received an email on the 26th of June from pureplanet saying sorry you are leaving, and that any excess credit balance on the account will be refunded. We were then asked for meter readings on the 8th of July but I couldn't access my account anymore (I assume it had been closed). We have been charged for another month, but as I can't access the account I'm not sure how to get our excess balance refunded.

Also, our landlord has emailed informing me that she can't send the final meter readings?

Any help in this subject would be greatly appreciated.
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • I have been living in a student accommodation for a year and used pureplanet for gas and electricity. When it came towards the end of the tenancy (22nd of June 2019) I told the landlord about our suppliers and they informed me that they would contact pureplanet to let them know we're leaving (they handle the switch and final readings).

I then received an email on the 26th of June from pureplanet saying sorry you are leaving, and that any excess credit balance on the account will be refunded. We were then asked for meter readings on the 8th of July but I couldn't access my account anymore (I assume it had been closed). We have been charged for another month, but as I can't access the account I'm not sure how to get our excess balance refunded.

Also, our landlord has emailed informing me that she can't send the final meter readings?

Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

hi jamr
    If you were paying the bill you should have handled the switch and final readings, it was your responsibility not the Landlord, but that's no use to you now.
    If it had worked as it should you would have sent your final readings via move out in the app and from the end of your account the landlord would then have been a deemed customer and responsible for the bills from then on.
    You need to do 2 things
    1. as said contact PP via help in the app, type message the team and explain that you can provide proof of when you left and the final readings. If for any reason wattbot does not work and allow you to send the message you'll have to contact via a direct message top right to marc or nataly.
    2.You also need to inform the landlord that he should join PP through the app or online, at which point he will be able to communicate with PP.
    If he does nothing and your bit works OK he will get a bill through the post, which will then be his to deal with, but it will be much easier for him if he joins PP.

Quote Originally Posted by jamr View Post
    I have been living in a student accommodation for a year and used pureplanet for gas and electricity. When it came towards the end of the tenancy (22nd of June 2019) I told the landlord about our suppliers and they informed me that they would contact pureplanet to let them know we're leaving (they handle the switch and final readings).

• hi jamr
    If you were paying the bill you should have handled the switch and final readings, it was your responsibility not the Landlord, but that's no use to you now.
    If it had worked as it should you would have sent your final readings via move out in the app and from the end of your account the landlord would then have been a deemed customer and responsible for the bills from then on.
    You need to do 2 things
    1. as said contact PP via help in the app, type message the team and explain that you can provide proof of when you left and the final readings. If for any reason wattbot does not work and allow you to send the message you'll have to contact via a direct message top right to marc or nataly.
    2.You also need to inform the landlord that he should join PP through the app or online, at which point he will be able to communicate with PP.
    If he does nothing and your bit works OK he will get a bill through the post, which will then be his to deal with, but it will be much easier for him if he joins PP.

Quote Originally Posted by jamr View Post

• Hi jamr

Others will add further information, but I think the key thing is that you won't have to pay for energy you haven't used. Did you take your own note of your final readings?
    Until someone else opens an account with Pure Planet for the property, Pure Planet will regard it as your account - so make sure your landlord has done that.
    And don't cancel your direct debit - it makes it much harder for your refund to be paid.
    I don't understand why you couldn't access your account if no-one else had taken it over.

You will probably be best to contact Pure Planet direct - open the app, go to the three little bars top right hand corner, click on Help, then Wattbot, put 'message the team' in the question box and then explain the situation.

They promise to get back to you within one or two working days.

Hope you can get it sorted quickly

Regards
    Stephen
  • Hi jamr

Others will add further information, but I think the key thing is that you won't have to pay for energy you haven't used. Did you take your own note of your final readings?
    Until someone else opens an account with Pure Planet for the property, Pure Planet will regard it as your account - so make sure your landlord has done that.
    And don't cancel your direct debit - it makes it much harder for your refund to be paid.
    I don't understand why you couldn't access your account if no-one else had taken it over.

You will probably be best to contact Pure Planet direct - open the app, go to the three little bars top right hand corner, click on Help, then Wattbot, put 'message the team' in the question box and then explain the situation.

They promise to get back to you within one or two working days.

Hope you can get it sorted quickly

Regards
    Stephen