• New to Pure Planet

I am new to Pure Planet and new to paying for energy as I am moving into my first student house. I have set up an account and have been told that I will be charged a certain fee every month. However, the first couple of months I will be living on my own instead of the usual 7 so will this fee be lower? At the moment I have just been given a fee for winter and summer months.
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • I am new to Pure Planet and new to paying for energy as I am moving into my first student house. I have set up an account and have been told that I will be charged a certain fee every month. However, the first couple of months I will be living on my own instead of the usual 7 so will this fee be lower? At the moment I have just been given a fee for winter and summer months.
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

hi joe
    no they won't, but, if, because you are by yourself you use less energy than estimated, the balance of the account will increase. (or vice versa balance will decrease if you use more energy than expected).

Your monthly payment is based on £8 per fuel per month membership fee (or standing charge if you prefer) less £2.50 a month discount if you have both gas and electric, plus the cost for the energy used annually as per other reply). You have to pay the membership fee no matter if you are one or many. So it will be either £8.00 or £13.50 plus energy costs. (depending on whether you have Gas+Elec, or just Elec. Rates per kWh as per price list depends where you are.

How it pans out cost wise very much depends on how much energy is used compared with what you've been quoted for.
    If you can take time out from the pub, oops I meant from lectures, take weekly readings from the start and keep a note of them date and reading, and continue to do that once the property is fully populated, you will have a good record of the real costs.
    Maths student? Post back if you need help with working it out...

Alternatively just make sure you submit regular readings in the app, especially important for your situation is the reading once you get the reminder towards the end of the billing month and you should submit that reading a day or 2 after you get the email, because that will define your real monthly cost for what you've used. The first two statements will show what it's cost for just you, (you said 2 months) the 3rd statement as long as you submit readings will show the cost for all 7 people.

To make it simple I'd divide the estimated annual charge by 11, and each of you pay one sixth of that amount per month, yes 11 and then one sixth not 12 and one seventh.
    That way you'll have some leeway over usage, because you can only work out at the end of each monthly billing period whether the costs are being covered. Just keep an eye on the statement balance every month, it should always be around an average month in credit after the dd has been paid. If it drifts a long way you'll need to adjust accordingly.

It's far better to charge your flatmates a little more and build up some credit which you can always repay them later, than to underestimate and have to ask them for more later on.
    Well that's my advice for what it's worth...
    Good luck with the studies!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeRousey View Post
    I am new to Pure Planet and new to paying for energy as I am moving into my first student house. I have set up an account and have been told that I will be charged a certain fee every month. However, the first couple of months I will be living on my own instead of the usual 7 so will this fee be lower? At the moment I have just been given a fee for winter and summer months.
  • hi joe
    no they won't, but, if, because you are by yourself you use less energy than estimated, the balance of the account will increase. (or vice versa balance will decrease if you use more energy than expected).

Your monthly payment is based on £8 per fuel per month membership fee (or standing charge if you prefer) less £2.50 a month discount if you have both gas and electric, plus the cost for the energy used annually as per other reply). You have to pay the membership fee no matter if you are one or many. So it will be either £8.00 or £13.50 plus energy costs. (depending on whether you have Gas+Elec, or just Elec. Rates per kWh as per price list depends where you are.

How it pans out cost wise very much depends on how much energy is used compared with what you've been quoted for.
    If you can take time out from the pub, oops I meant from lectures, take weekly readings from the start and keep a note of them date and reading, and continue to do that once the property is fully populated, you will have a good record of the real costs.
    Maths student? Post back if you need help with working it out...

Alternatively just make sure you submit regular readings in the app, especially important for your situation is the reading once you get the reminder towards the end of the billing month and you should submit that reading a day or 2 after you get the email, because that will define your real monthly cost for what you've used. The first two statements will show what it's cost for just you, (you said 2 months) the 3rd statement as long as you submit readings will show the cost for all 7 people.

To make it simple I'd divide the estimated annual charge by 11, and each of you pay one sixth of that amount per month, yes 11 and then one sixth not 12 and one seventh.
    That way you'll have some leeway over usage, because you can only work out at the end of each monthly billing period whether the costs are being covered. Just keep an eye on the statement balance every month, it should always be around an average month in credit after the dd has been paid. If it drifts a long way you'll need to adjust accordingly.

It's far better to charge your flatmates a little more and build up some credit which you can always repay them later, than to underestimate and have to ask them for more later on.
    Well that's my advice for what it's worth...
    Good luck with the studies!

• Hi Joe,

Welcome to the Community Forum for PP customers. When you post here, you are posting to fellow PP customers, and not directly to PP.
    However, your query is not account specific, so it will generate replies from Community members, who are a very helpful bunch, only too willing to lend assistance to other PP customers.

I assume that the PP account is in your name, and therefore you are paying the DD payment for this account.
    PP has set up your DD payments based on the estimated annual usage figures that you supplied to PP during your joining process. PP use this information to calculate your annual spend for your energy. This annual figure is then split 60/40 to cover the 6 "cooler" months (Oct - Mar) and the 6 "warmer" months (Apr - Sep) These two figures are then split over the 6 months for each "period" This is why you have the two DD figures.
    This method is unique to PP but is very effective (once you get your head round it).

PP aren't concerned with the number of occupants that are sharing the accommodation......that's your responsibility. PP has an account with you and not the other occupants. So to answer your question.....no PP will not reduce the DD payment, it will be as agreed initially.
    How you split the energy costs between all your fellow students is entirely up to you. One good thing is that you should have a low usage if you are the only occupant for that length of time.

I hope that this has been helpful to you.......if you need any more advice, just post to the Community and one of our friendly members will be only too happy to assist. Once again.....Welcome to the Community.

Gray4276
  • Hi Joe,

Welcome to the Community Forum for PP customers. When you post here, you are posting to fellow PP customers, and not directly to PP.
    However, your query is not account specific, so it will generate replies from Community members, who are a very helpful bunch, only too willing to lend assistance to other PP customers.

I assume that the PP account is in your name, and therefore you are paying the DD payment for this account.
    PP has set up your DD payments based on the estimated annual usage figures that you supplied to PP during your joining process. PP use this information to calculate your annual spend for your energy. This annual figure is then split 60/40 to cover the 6 "cooler" months (Oct - Mar) and the 6 "warmer" months (Apr - Sep) These two figures are then split over the 6 months for each "period" This is why you have the two DD figures.
    This method is unique to PP but is very effective (once you get your head round it).

PP aren't concerned with the number of occupants that are sharing the accommodation......that's your responsibility. PP has an account with you and not the other occupants. So to answer your question.....no PP will not reduce the DD payment, it will be as agreed initially.
    How you split the energy costs between all your fellow students is entirely up to you. One good thing is that you should have a low usage if you are the only occupant for that length of time.

I hope that this has been helpful to you.......if you need any more advice, just post to the Community and one of our friendly members will be only too happy to assist. Once again.....Welcome to the Community.

Gray4276