• Question Gas Supply no longer required. Gas Connection/Hardware Removal. Who does it and who carries costs?

Hi Community,

I no longer need a gas supply to my home.

I also want to avoid any charges for "membership or standing charges" which I paid previously for gas membership/supply.

So, how do I eliminate these avoidable charges?

Do I need to inform someone that my gas supply is completely turned off and unavailable to me?

Do I need to have removed, the gas connection from the mains in the street to my gas meter/pipe-end on my property?

Do I need to make a contribution to any work involved?

My view is, as I do not consume the product anymore, why should I pay anything for the owner of that connection/equipment/installation, as I no longer require their product/equipment on my property?

Surely, if they wish to retain it in situ and have access to it, for their reasons, e.g. future customer desire for gas, they should be paying me rent?

Who can answer simply, my questions, please?

Thanks in advance,

​Brendan
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Hi Community,

I no longer need a gas supply to my home.

I also want to avoid any charges for "membership or standing charges" which I paid previously for gas membership/supply.

So, how do I eliminate these avoidable charges?

Do I need to inform someone that my gas supply is completely turned off and unavailable to me?

Do I need to have removed, the gas connection from the mains in the street to my gas meter/pipe-end on my property?

Do I need to make a contribution to any work involved?

My view is, as I do not consume the product anymore, why should I pay anything for the owner of that connection/equipment/installation, as I no longer require their product/equipment on my property?

Surely, if they wish to retain it in situ and have access to it, for their reasons, e.g. future customer desire for gas, they should be paying me rent?

Who can answer simply, my questions, please?

Thanks in advance,

​Brendan
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Hi brendan.
    In order to avoid the membership fee/standing charge you would have to get the actual meter removed, i believe this come under the remit of your gas network provider. As it would be non standard work then you would be responsible for the cost of its disconnection i feel confident it would be quite expensive so switching the gas supply to a company with the lowest possible standing charge and continue to pay it may be the cheapest way forward. So long as there is a meter then by law you have to pay a daily standing charge regardless of who is the supplier.
  • Hi brendan.
    In order to avoid the membership fee/standing charge you would have to get the actual meter removed, i believe this come under the remit of your gas network provider. As it would be non standard work then you would be responsible for the cost of its disconnection i feel confident it would be quite expensive so switching the gas supply to a company with the lowest possible standing charge and continue to pay it may be the cheapest way forward. So long as there is a meter then by law you have to pay a daily standing charge regardless of who is the supplier.