• WAN Signal for Smart Meter

Hi!

I received a text a few days ago, along the lines of "Pure Planet: We're installing smart meters in your area, call...." which was the number for Magnum Utilities.

All good, until the latter part of the call when the person said that the WAN signal wasn't strong enough. I've tried looking to see if there's a coverage map, but no joy. We're on a new build estate which was completed about 12 months ago, and in more recent months the main networks (3, EE, Vodafone, o2 etc.) have all upgraded their local infrastructure so now the full family has full 4G connections in the home.

Is there a way to work out what the WAN coverage is, and if it's run by one of the mobile networks? I have a feeling that the coverage is better than the lookup provided by Magnum Utilities but not entirely sure...

Thanks,

Dylan
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Hi!

I received a text a few days ago, along the lines of "Pure Planet: We're installing smart meters in your area, call...." which was the number for Magnum Utilities.

All good, until the latter part of the call when the person said that the WAN signal wasn't strong enough. I've tried looking to see if there's a coverage map, but no joy. We're on a new build estate which was completed about 12 months ago, and in more recent months the main networks (3, EE, Vodafone, o2 etc.) have all upgraded their local infrastructure so now the full family has full 4G connections in the home.

Is there a way to work out what the WAN coverage is, and if it's run by one of the mobile networks? I have a feeling that the coverage is better than the lookup provided by Magnum Utilities but not entirely sure...

Thanks,

Dylan
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Hi Dylan @dylanbrown

Sorry you were contacted before the signal in your area had been checked - a similar issue was raised last month in this thread and the process for contacting members has since been changed. You were texted before this change came into place!

It works differently to phone networks and is based primarily on security, so if you're in the North (which, for smart meters, is classed as Manchester and above) the network is Arqiva. In the South, it's Telefonica.

Signal strength is continually being worked on and improved, across the UK. Once there's better signal in your area, Magnum will get back to you to arrange your installation

There's more info on smart meter eligibility here.

Hope that helps?
  • Hi Dylan @dylanbrown

Sorry you were contacted before the signal in your area had been checked - a similar issue was raised last month in this thread and the process for contacting members has since been changed. You were texted before this change came into place!

It works differently to phone networks and is based primarily on security, so if you're in the North (which, for smart meters, is classed as Manchester and above) the network is Arqiva. In the South, it's Telefonica.

Signal strength is continually being worked on and improved, across the UK. Once there's better signal in your area, Magnum will get back to you to arrange your installation

There's more info on smart meter eligibility here.

Hope that helps?