• What a surprise! Sales of low emission vehicles have fallen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48865702

"Manufacturers have invested billions to bring these vehicles to market but their efforts are now being undermined by confusing policies and the premature removal of purchase incentives.
    "If we are to see widespread uptake of these vehicles, which are an essential part of a smooth transition to zero emission transport, we need world-class, long-term incentives and substantial investment in infrastructure."
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48865702

"Manufacturers have invested billions to bring these vehicles to market but their efforts are now being undermined by confusing policies and the premature removal of purchase incentives.
    "If we are to see widespread uptake of these vehicles, which are an essential part of a smooth transition to zero emission transport, we need world-class, long-term incentives and substantial investment in infrastructure."
  • Hmm, spotted that too @woz
    My first though was that it might be the hybrids which are not selling, as more people choose 'pure' EVs instead.
    However, whatever we do, it won't be enough to save us
    Today's big story: "Electric cars 'will not solve transport problem,' report warns" from the BBC.
    We've got to drive fewer cars, of any kind. Walk more, get the bus more. I might dig out the old skateboard.....
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Hmm, spotted that too @woz
    My first though was that it might be the hybrids which are not selling, as more people choose 'pure' EVs instead.
    However, whatever we do, it won't be enough to save us
    Today's big story: "Electric cars 'will not solve transport problem,' report warns" from the BBC.
    We've got to drive fewer cars, of any kind. Walk more, get the bus more. I might dig out the old skateboard.....
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    😂😂😂😂😂🏂, but big big big 👍👍👍👍to more people walking, soooo annoying to constantly watch young fit bodies jumping into cars to drive to shops literally five minutes walk away 🙄🙄🙄👎👎👎, and blooming diesels taking their winkles or grandwinkles to school ten min walk away, then straight back home, so it’s not even dropping em off on way to work or shopping etc 🙄🙄🙄👎👎👎👎😡. Big big big 👎👎👎👎to stinky Winky chavvy buses 🤮🤮, but did LOL re the skateboard 🙃😁👏👍
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    😂😂😂😂😂🏂, but big big big 👍👍👍👍to more people walking, soooo annoying to constantly watch young fit bodies jumping into cars to drive to shops literally five minutes walk away 🙄🙄🙄👎👎👎, and blooming diesels taking their winkles or grandwinkles to school ten min walk away, then straight back home, so it’s not even dropping em off on way to work or shopping etc 🙄🙄🙄👎👎👎👎😡. Big big big 👎👎👎👎to stinky Winky chavvy buses 🤮🤮, but did LOL re the skateboard 🙃😁👏👍

WALT WHITMAN
  • I tried jumping into a car once, but it wasn't a convertible and I banged my head...

Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    ���������������� ���������������� ��, but big big big ���������������� �������to more people walking, soooo annoying to constantly watch young fit bodies jumping into cars to drive to shops literally five minutes walk away ���������������� ���������������� ��, and blooming diesels taking their winkles or grandwinkles to school ten min walk away, then straight back home, so it’s not even dropping em off on way to work or shopping etc ���������������� ���������������� ��������������. Big big big ���������������� �������to stinky Winky chavvy buses ������������, but did LOL re the skateboard ���������������� �������
  • I tried jumping into a car once, but it wasn't a convertible and I banged my head...

Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    ���������������� ���������������� ��, but big big big ���������������� �������to more people walking, soooo annoying to constantly watch young fit bodies jumping into cars to drive to shops literally five minutes walk away ���������������� ���������������� ��, and blooming diesels taking their winkles or grandwinkles to school ten min walk away, then straight back home, so it’s not even dropping em off on way to work or shopping etc ���������������� ���������������� ��������������. Big big big ���������������� �������to stinky Winky chavvy buses ������������, but did LOL re the skateboard ���������������� �������
  • Well got to own up to being a car owner, but i am quite rural 4 miles to nearest shop.
    However i have just swapped the gas guzzling 3lt 28MPG lexus for a more friendly 1.2lt 60MPG mini.
    Cant justify the cost of an ev this time round, i only do 4000 miles per year.
    I dont think the tipping point for a boom in electric is far away another 3 years when a second hand market becomes well established and within the financial reach of a bigger majority. But should we give incentives to new ev owners or gradually increase the cost of owing a non ev car?
  • Well got to own up to being a car owner, but i am quite rural 4 miles to nearest shop.
    However i have just swapped the gas guzzling 3lt 28MPG lexus for a more friendly 1.2lt 60MPG mini.
    I dont think the tipping point for a boom in electric is far away another 3 years when a second hand market becomes well established and within the financial reach of a bigger majority. But should we give incentives to new ev owners or gradually increase the cost of owing a non ev car?
  • Nothing wrong with being a car owner - and using it. There’s very few times when my travel is short enough to think “I could walk there” although I did have that yesterday - but it was too late by the time I’d thought about it.

But back to the thread, we NEED a joined up policy to encourage hybrid, or pure EV use. Subsidies, infrastructure and education / promotion.

Public transport needs to make an EV move but we need a system that runs efficiently and on time without costing a bloody fortune.
  • Nothing wrong with being a car owner - and using it. There’s very few times when my travel is short enough to think “I could walk there” although I did have that yesterday - but it was too late by the time I’d thought about it.

But back to the thread, we NEED a joined up policy to encourage hybrid, or pure EV use. Subsidies, infrastructure and education / promotion.

Public transport needs to make an EV move but we need a system that runs efficiently and on time without costing a bloody fortune.
  • You were doing well if you got 28mpg out of a 3 litre Lexus!
    ​I'd love to have an EV but I'll settle for an electric brompton - they cost more than my car is worth!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Well got to own up to being a car owner, but i am quite rural 4 miles to nearest shop. However i have just swapped the gas guzzling 3lt 28MPG lexus for a more friendly 1.2lt 60MPG mini. Cant justify the cost of an ev this time round, i only do 4000 miles per year. I dont think the tipping point for a boom in electric is far away another 3 years when a second hand market becomes well established and within the financial reach of a bigger majority. But should we give incentives to new ev owners or gradually increase the cost of owing a non ev car?
  • You were doing well if you got 28mpg out of a 3 litre Lexus!
    ​I'd love to have an EV but I'll settle for an electric brompton - they cost more than my car is worth!
    Well got to own up to being a car owner, but i am quite rural 4 miles to nearest shop. However i have just swapped the gas guzzling 3lt 28MPG lexus for a more friendly 1.2lt 60MPG mini. Cant justify the cost of an ev this time round, i only do 4000 miles per year. I dont think the tipping point for a boom in electric is far away another 3 years when a second hand market becomes well established and within the financial reach of a bigger majority. But should we give incentives to new ev owners or gradually increase the cost of owing a non ev car?
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post

At less than 4,500 miles/year, a second hand Zoe can be had pretty cheaply and the £49/£59 monthly battery lease cost could work out a lot less than the depreciation on a mini?
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post

At less than 4,500 miles/year, a second hand Zoe can be had pretty cheaply and the £49/£59 monthly battery lease cost could work out a lot less than the depreciation on a mini?
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jowl View Post

Agreed. Rural transport is important, but living in Cornwall it is depressing to see so many elderly double deckers roaming the countryside belching out fumes, often with zero passengers.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jowl View Post

Agreed. Rural transport is important, but living in Cornwall it is depressing to see so many elderly double deckers roaming the countryside belching out fumes, often with zero passengers.
  • I have looked at a full EV. but frankly i still want to buy something i like with the right internal layout so that the dog is comfy.
    Lease the battery seems a good idea for some as it brings down the purchase price, but for me at £59 per month this is more than i will spend on petrol. And i dont really like the look of them(zoe) and internally not as suitable for my needs.
    No the mini is not the perfect car for the enviroment but the emissions on it mean road tax is only £20 per year so its close and very low.
    Already got my eye on the electric mini coming to a showroom near me sometime next year.
  • I have looked at a full EV. but frankly i still want to buy something i like with the right internal layout so that the dog is comfy.
    Lease the battery seems a good idea for some as it brings down the purchase price, but for me at £59 per month this is more than i will spend on petrol. And i dont really like the look of them(zoe) and internally not as suitable for my needs.
    No the mini is not the perfect car for the enviroment but the emissions on it mean road tax is only £20 per year so its close and very low.
    Already got my eye on the electric mini coming to a showroom near me sometime next year.
  • I think my cat would be very comfortable in a Tesla, don't have a pooch at the moment, but the one I used to have buried his head under the seat when we went out, (could have been my driving...), poor soul is no longer with us.
    I have looked at a full EV. but frankly i still want to buy something i like with the right internal layout so that the dog is comfy.
  • I think my cat would be very comfortable in a Tesla, don't have a pooch at the moment, but the one I used to have buried his head under the seat when we went out, (could have been my driving...), poor soul is no longer with us.
    I have looked at a full EV. but frankly i still want to buy something i like with the right internal layout so that the dog is comfy.
  • Tends to be when they feel motion sickness, Wozeeta

WALT WHITMAN
  • Tends to be when they feel motion sickness, Wozeeta

WALT WHITMAN